Saw a B9 today

Started by cozmik, May 06, 2005, 03:32:29 PM

cozmik

So I was on the way to work and I saw a real like Subaru B9 Tribeca. Just wanted to say that it is pretty much as ugly in real life as it is in pictures. Very, very odd looking. Kind of a cross between a Sienna and a horse or something.

Anyone else see one yet in real life?

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

FlatBlackCaddy

Thankfully i haven't, i'm still twitching from the ridgeline i saw the other day.

BMWDave

I saw it at the NYIAS.  It was hideous!  It looks totally out of proportion!  

Here is a picture:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

MaxPower

I've seen one at the Philly car show.

I'm as big a Subaru fanboy as any, but I was kinda depressed by it.  Subaru is trying to go premium with its lineup and styling like that just won't do it.  I think they could do a better job intergrating the new grille.  I'm serioulsy worried that the new Impreza will look like crap too.

I'd like to see it on the street, and see how it fits in with other cars on the road.

ifcar

QuoteI've seen one at the Philly car show.

I'm as big a Subaru fanboy as any, but I was kinda depressed by it.  Subaru is trying to go premium with its lineup and styling like that just won't do it.  I think they could do a better job intergrating the new grille.  I'm serioulsy worried that the new Impreza will look like crap too.

I'd like to see it on the street, and see how it fits in with other cars on the road.
Impreza chop:

BMWDave

They got the styling of the Outback and Legacy so right!  Howd they go so wrong with this one??  And yes, I think the new Impreza will look like crap judging by Suabru's design direction.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I'm as big a Subaru fanboy as any, but I was kinda depressed by it.  Subaru is trying to go premium with its lineup and styling like that just won't do it.  I think they could do a better job intergrating the new grille.  I'm serioulsy worried that the new Impreza will look like crap too.

Impreza chop:
If that is anything close to reality I am very depressed.  That is absolutely hideous!

2007 Honda S2000

MaxPower

that chop of the "new" Impreza is wrong in just so many ways!

I don't know Subaru's new model development practices...do they keep a really tight lid on things until just prior to the unveiling of a new model or will we be able to keep track of the Impreza as it develops?  I'm hoping for the latter.

Regarding the B9, I don't think Subuaru can afford to have a car sell sluggishly right now.  They need something that, even if it doesn't sell in mass quantities, will generate excitement and hype.  The B9 just doesn't do that.   I predict lackluster sales, and I'm bummed by it. :(

Fire It Up

I saw the Tribeca at the NYIAS and its is amazingly hideous.  The more I looked at the car there, the more I hated it. Its fat, Japanese reincarnation of the Pontiak Aztek. I can't beleive Subaru actually wants to market that thing.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteI saw the Tribeca at the NYIAS and its is amazingly hideous.  The more I looked at the car there, the more I hated it. Its fat, Japanese reincarnation of the Pontiak Aztek. I can't beleive Subaru actually wants to market that thing.
Thats actually a good way to put it.  Its ugliness is on par with the Aztek.  Come to think of it, the Aztek may even be nicer!!  Now thats saying something!

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I hate it! :wacko:  

TBR

I've seen it in person and I have really taken a liking to it. It is a little awkward up front but the rest of it looks very nice.  

mazda6er

QuoteI've seen it in person and I have really taken a liking to it. It is a little awkward up front but the rest of it looks very nice.
I agree. If you get rid of the hideous grill  :rolleyes: , the rest of the car seems pretty classy. Great interior too.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteI've seen it in person and I have really taken a liking to it. It is a little awkward up front but the rest of it looks very nice.
I haven't seen it in person, but that's the impression that I'm starting to get from the pics.

cozmik

You know the problem with the grille is they have very literally tried to make it look like an airplane. The middle thing is like the body and then the two side pieces are supposed to be the wings. The problem is that this is a car and not a plane. It just doesn't work. Saab has a better aircraft history that Subaru, but their flashback to that in the grille consists of the silver bar in the middle shaped to form the profile of a plane (which used to have little engines too way back in the day). As it is though, the B9 looks more like a mantis than the Sienna does.  <_<  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

I haven't seen it in person, but that's the impression that I'm starting to get from the pics.
Yep, it looks particularly nice from  rear quarter. I don't even mind the shape of the grills (I guess that should be plural), but they should be bigger as they look like they are floating in a sea of metal.  The nose is really just too blobbish, a bigger grill would do a lot to help that problem.

Speed_Racer

I really would like to get a glimpse of the interior. From what I have heard, it is very nice. BUt, I'll save my opinions on it until I see one in person.  

BMWDave

I agree. If you get rid of the hideous grill  :rolleyes: , the rest of the car seems pretty classy. Great interior too.
The interior is the only part of the car that I like.

2007 Honda S2000

SargeMonkey

The grey one looked like an Etsil, realy ugly ford, I can't spell.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Catman

QuoteThe grey one looked like an Etsil, realy ugly ford, I can't spell.
yeah, I think it's Edsel.

BTW, welcome to CarSPIN! B)  

ifcar

Full Tribeca pricing and specs up at Edmunds. Pricing is well shy of the original $34K base price I heard thrown around earlier, starting and $30,500 for a 5-passenger Base. But checking every box on the Limited 7-Passenger sets you back $38K, which might turn off even buyers used to paying $33K for a loaded Outback.

mazda6er

QuoteFull Tribeca pricing and specs up at Edmunds. Pricing is well shy of the original $34K base price I heard thrown around earlier, starting and $30,500 for a 5-passenger Base. But checking every box on the Limited 7-Passenger sets you back $38K, which might turn off even buyers used to paying $33K for a loaded Outback.
That is if the styling doesn't turn them off first. Unfortunate that it's so ugly, I think its going to be another solid car from Subaru.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteFull Tribeca pricing and specs up at Edmunds. Pricing is well shy of the original $34K base price I heard thrown around earlier, starting and $30,500 for a 5-passenger Base. But checking every box on the Limited 7-Passenger sets you back $38K, which might turn off even buyers used to paying $33K for a loaded Outback.
That is if the styling doesn't turn them off first. Unfortunate that it's so ugly, I think its going to be another solid car from Subaru.
It definitely is a solid car...like the Aztek is...but with both of them, the styling will just turn off too many buyers.

2007 Honda S2000