Audi Supercar Gets Go-Ahead!

Started by BMWDave, May 06, 2005, 04:00:13 PM

BMWDave

AutoExpress Article

The wildest-looking sports car Audi has ever developed is under starter's orders. Unveiled at the 2003 Frankfurt Motor Show, the sensational Le Mans concept has finally been given the green light by company bosses.

Based on the all-wheel-drive Lamborghini Gallardo platform, the new supercoup? is expected to offer a choice of two powerplants when it goes on sale late next year.

The first is a development of the V8 fitted to the new RS4, while the second is a new evolution of the Audi V10 already used by the Gallardo. At the launch of the concept, there was talk that a diesel could also be built, but bosses have since ruled this out as being unsuitable. Prices for the range have still to be discussed, but the high-performance engine and aluminium chassis of the Le Mans are unlikely to come cheap. Cars are expected to cost at least ?60,000.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

MaxPower

Cars are expected to cost at least ?60,000.

?60,000 = $115,000 = relatively attainable.  I woulda thought it would go for a lot more than that.

Fire It Up

Is 60,000 pounds in the F430/GT range? If so, that's freakin awesome.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

Wow, I can't wait to see the production version in the flesh.

SaleenS7

I liked the one in I, Robot. This one is pretty close though. Looks great!
Saleen S7[/size][/font]

If you're gonna push it, push it HARD!

Why?

Interesting. But VW/Audi needs to keep an eye on the normal cars as well, or they will become exlusively a boutique maker. It seems they want to go in that direction.

mazda6er

QuoteI liked the one in I, Robot. This one is pretty close though. Looks great!
The I, Robot one is the first thing that I remembered too. It seems like they really downplayed the Audi logo on this car, though.  Usually they've got the big honking rings you can't help but notice. Looks sweet. Too bad none of us can afford one.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TurboDan

QuoteInteresting. But VW/Audi needs to keep an eye on the normal cars as well, or they will become exlusively a boutique maker. It seems they want to go in that direction.
I agree.  But I gotta say, they did a wonderful job with their cheapest car, the Jetta IMO.  The new design looks REALLY good, and the interior is probably the best in its class.  

TBR

QuoteInteresting. But VW/Audi needs to keep an eye on the normal cars as well, or they will become exlusively a boutique maker. It seems they want to go in that direction.
I agree.  But I gotta say, they did a wonderful job with their cheapest car, the Jetta IMO.  The new design looks REALLY good, and the interior is probably the best in its class.
You are one of the few that is actually impressed with the Jetta. I personally find it to be generically styled, underperforming, and overpriced.

Laconian

Please excuse my gushing...

The Le Mans Quattro is one of the most gorgeous cars out there IMO. It was my desktop background on my laptop for five months straight, only to be dethroned for the Maserati MC12 which has held it for three. me exposed aluminum in the sides, the front grille (best use of the Audi motif BTW), the LED headlights, the profile... oh yeah, and the Gallardo engine. This car is sex on wheels. I will die a happy man if I can even touch this beauty.

Rating: :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: / :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: (five out of five ninjitsu)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

QuotePlease excuse my gushing...

The Le Mans Quattro is one of the most gorgeous cars out there IMO. It was my desktop background on my laptop for five months straight, only to be dethroned for the Maserati MC12 which has held it for three. me exposed aluminum in the sides, the front grille (best use of the Audi motif BTW), the LED headlights, the profile... oh yeah, and the Gallardo engine. This car is sex on wheels. I will die a happy man if I can even touch this beauty.

Rating: :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: / :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: (five out of five ninjitsu)
Any orgasmic experiences?  Unintentional feelings of love for vehicles?  *doctor voice*   :D  :D  :praise:  

mazda6er

QuotePlease excuse my gushing...

That ninjitsu rating system is hilarious! We should make that a standard thing. :D  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Colonel Cadillac

If it is 60,000 euro in Europe, I doubt they are going to go with the exact exchange rate (look at the current cars price exchanges), I bet it will be around $85,000. A Maserati fighter?  

BMWDave

QuoteIf it is 60,000 euro in Europe, I doubt they are going to go with the exact exchange rate (look at the current cars price exchanges), I bet it will be around $85,000. A Maserati fighter?
Probably.  Audi might be treading into Gallardo territory here so they got to be careful.  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteIf it is 60,000 euro in Europe, I doubt they are going to go with the exact exchange rate (look at the current cars price exchanges), I bet it will be around $85,000. A Maserati fighter?
Probably.  Audi might be treading into Gallardo territory here so they got to be careful.
Yep, they better be careful to keep the performance down (I don't say that very often   :D )

BMWDave

Yep, they better be careful to keep the performance down (I don't say that very often   :D )
lol

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

I kind of think that AWD and the Audi badge would separate it enough from the Gallardo. An Audi isn't going to be stealing sales from a Lamborghini even if they use the same engine.

BMWDave

I kind of think that AWD and the Audi badge would separate it enough from the Gallardo. An Audi isn't going to be stealing sales from a Lamborghini even if they use the same engine.
I believe the Gallardo has AWD.

2007 Honda S2000

MX793

Wow, another supercar is just what VWAG needs.  I mean, they already have Bugatti and Lamborghini under their roof, you'd think they'd have carved a nice niche in the supercar market already.

Not that it isn't cool, but sometimes I'd rather see some cool cars that normal people could actually afford rather than toys for the obscenely rich and famous.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Fire It Up

Will this be a simpler, Z06/Viper competitior or a GT, Maserati/Aston fighter?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

850CSi

I believe the Gallardo has AWD.
Whoops, I forgot.

TBR

Excellent point, Lamborghini buyers don't do much cross shopping.

Edit- That was my 100th post! :)

BMWDave

QuoteWill this be a simpler, Z06/Viper competitior or a GT, Maserati/Aston fighter?
It might be, but again, Audi would be wise to position it lower than Aston/Maserati territory so as not to cannibalize sales on the Gallardo.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteWill this be a simpler, Z06/Viper competitior or a GT, Maserati/Aston fighter?
It might be, but again, Audi would be wise to position it lower than Aston/Maserati territory so as not to cannibalize sales on the Gallardo.
The problem with that is that Aston Martin/Maserati territory also happens to be Porsche territory. Now I don't know how exactly Porsche and VW are connected, but Porsche might not be really happy if VW launched a product that would compete directly with the 911.

BMWDave

The problem with that is that Aston Martin/Maserati territory also happens to be Porsche territory. Now I don't know how exactly Porsche and VW are connected, but Porsche might not be really happy if VW launched a product that would compete directly with the 911.
I dont think that they would be very happy with that.  VW really has to concentrate on getting themselves and Audi back on track.  They have enough supercars IMO.  There are problems with this Audi le Mans because it just conflicts with Lamborghini and Porsche cars which is not a good thing at all.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

I dont think that they would be very happy with that.  VW really has to concentrate on getting themselves and Audi back on track.  They have enough supercars IMO.  There are problems with this Audi le Mans because it just conflicts with Lamborghini and Porsche cars which is not a good thing at all.
Audi is already heading in the right direction, because, frankly, the way I see it is that every offering in their line-up right now is one of the best cars in its class, and they dominate interior design and technology, and they still implement AWD in luxury cars better than anyone. A supercar would perfectly cap off the range and add a lot of image to Audi's brand label. People like Audis. They relay a sophisticated, almost smart image. A supercar would only enhance this and help boost it into Lexus/BMW/Mercedes-Benz territory.

The LeMans would do for Audi what the SL does for Mercedes.

BMWDave

Audi is already heading in the right direction, because, frankly, the way I see it is that every offering in their line-up right now is one of the best cars in its class, and they dominate interior design and technology, and they still implement AWD in luxury cars better than anyone. A supercar would perfectly cap off the range and add a lot of image to Audi's brand label. People like Audis. They relay a sophisticated, almost smart image. A supercar would only enhance this and help boost it into Lexus/BMW/Mercedes-Benz territory.

The LeMans would do for Audi what the SL does for Mercedes.
Agreed.  If they would position it as anti-6 series and in that range (80K) then it will be amazing.  But once it gets up in 120K range thats sort of Lamborghini territory already.

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

I think the LeMans would be more of a "Z8" type car, though in thoery it would also compete aginst the M6.

The fact that it will be mid-engined and AWD will give it a distinct advantage over the M6, and put it on par with the AWD 911's.

To kep it sepeerate from the Gallardo I bet the LeMans will probably lean a little more toward luxury and comfort than the Lambo...though I am sure it will still be track-ready.