ALFA ROMEO Rumor Mill

Started by autom?vel, March 05, 2006, 10:16:04 AM

autom?vel

The Alfa Romeo 8c Competizione concept sportscar is destined for a 500-unit build run, with the production-ready car scheduled to appear at the Paris Motor Show in September reports respected motoring website 4Car, quoting comments attributed to Alfa Romeo CEO Antonio Baravalle made in Geneva last week.

Ever since the stunning Maserati 4.2-litre V8-engined 8c Competizione concept first appeared to widespread public and media praise at the 2003 Frankfurt IAA the saga of 'will they or won't they' build it has raged, with deposits initially being taken from customers and then returned. The 4Car report is the latest twist in this long running story.

Remember the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione concept car? The V8-powered, carbonfibre-bodied, front-engined supercar everyone said Alfa should build? Now, over two years since the concept was revealed at the 2003 Frankfurt show, it really could happen writes John Simister for 4Car.

'It is my dream to do it,' said Alfa's recently-arrived CEO, Antonio Baravalle. 'We have cut the budget for our advertising campaign and will do the 8C instead, because it is a perfect way to promote the Alfa brand. Sergio Marchionne says if the figures add up, do it.' The plan is to have a production-standard 8C ready for the Paris show at the end of September, and to take orders for a 500-car production run then.It will be a coup?, like the concept car, but another of Baravalle's 'dreams' is to make a Spider version later.

Final details of the construction are still to be worked out, but it will most likely be a carbonfibre body over a spaceframe chassis, like the concept. The engine will be based on the block used by the current Ferrari and Maserati V8s, and the end result will be 'more like Ferrari than Maserati' according to Baravalle. That means a flat-plane crankshaft and engine which screams instead of throbs. Target power is 440bhp, target price is as yet undisclosed.

Antonio Baravalle also revealed that Alfa Romeo will decide within the next month on the underpinnings for the forthcoming Alfa 149. The style has already been through customer clinics, but the engineering choice is between a modified version of the next Fiat Stilo/Lancia Delta platform or a shortened Alfa 159 base. Baravalle prefers the second option, because it would make for a 'purer' Alfa, but it depends on costs.

A replacement for the Alfa 166, to be called 169, is also under consideration. It will be a joint venture with Alfa affiliate Maserati because, says Baravalle, the Modena company 'needs a car this size'. It will have a V6 engine, mounted longitudinally to give rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. If it goes ahead, the 166 will be the first rear-wheel drive Alfa for well over a decade.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

BMWDave

Great to hear they are building it B)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Shane

I have a thing for Alfa Romeos....love them!....

Shane

Do you mind if I throw the Spyder in just for the sheer pleasure of it?...here it is..stunning..

CaseyNPham

It's strange how Italian cars look 100% Italian but Japanese, German, and American cars all copy each other.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

cozmik

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Shane

An instant classic....no words to describe this beautiful car.

ifcar

QuoteIt's strange how Italian cars look 100% Italian but Japanese, German, and American cars all copy each other.
Not really. Mainstream Italian cars tend to look pretty boring, and American, Japanese, and German sport models aren't.  

Shane

QuoteIt's strange how Italian cars look 100% Italian but Japanese, German, and American cars all copy each other.
I agree....something about Italian design...it's hard to quantify...even the lowliest econobox seems special.    

ifcar

Looks much more special than a Geo Metro from the same time period. :rolleyes:

Italian subcompacts look pretty much like everyone else's subcompacts.  

autom?vel

I agree with ifcar on this subject.  Although Italian cars tend to be more unique, some of the Fiats and such look fairly vanilla.  This applies to French cars to an extent too.  I think you also can see a little Japanese influence creeping into the new design DNA of the symbol of all symbols, Ferrari.  Some might write it all off simply as "F1 influence," but to that I say: Ken Okuyama.   :P
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

Shane

I love Italian cars of any kind...they have a way with design...love their interiors...this one in the Alfa Romeo Spyder is sensational.

Selespeed

QuoteAn instant classic....no words to describe this beautiful car.
Couldn't agree more.......i'd sell my soul to have one of these ;)  
Alfa156Selespeed

BMWDave

QuoteAn instant classic....no words to describe this beautiful car.
Couldn't agree more.......i'd sell my soul to have one of these ;)
Hey!  Hows it going? :wave:  I agree, this is one painfully beautiful car.

2007 Honda S2000

Selespeed

Hey Dave, going great thanks
Not been around for a while, still got my Alfa :D  but looking to get new car soon
Alfa156Selespeed

BMWDave

QuoteHey Dave, going great thanks
Not been around for a while, still got my Alfa :D  but looking to get new car soon
Very cool! B)  Which car, and why are you looking for a replacement? B)

2007 Honda S2000

Selespeed

The Alfa is six years old now, starting to show her age :(
I'm not too keen on the 159, a nice, nearly new 147GTA would be cool (GTA-3.2 litre V6)
Alfa156Selespeed

BMWDave

QuoteThe Alfa is six years old now, starting to show her age :(
I'm not too keen on the 159, a nice, nearly new 147GTA would be cool (GTA-3.2 litre V6)

I dont know if that and the Brera are in the same price bracket, or even close to it, but if they are, you ought to check out the Brera as well.  But, with either one you choose, youre getting one seriously good looking machine :rockon:  

2007 Honda S2000

CWW

Alfa needs an BMW X3 competitor...:

<< Alfa 179 >>

JYODER240

QuoteAlfa needs an BMW X3 competitor...:

<< Alfa 179 >>
nice!
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*