Modern day Muscle Car Poll

Started by SVT666, March 07, 2006, 11:04:13 AM

Assuming the production versions look like the show cars, which one would you choose based on looks alone?

Mustang GT
9 (42.9%)
Camaro
7 (33.3%)
Challenger
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

SVT666

I love the current Mustang, but I think the Challenger would be the car I would take.

Shane

The Challenger does it for me.  I like the Camaro but sometimes seems huge in appearance.  The Mustang seems awkward to me, too big tailights, odd proportions when viewed from the side...rear wheels seem too far forward.
Challenger seems just right, good muscle car looks.

MrEddy

I really can't stand the whole retro thing so all of them give me the shits. But I guess the Mustang is the least objectionable.

Mak450

QuoteCamaro :rockon:
What he said  :rockon:  

Run Away

Tom

Mustang.  I would fix it up real nice.

ifcar

Challenger. The other two are overstyled.

SVT666

I agree about the Camaro.  The Camaro is absolutely overstyled.  The Mustang is nearly perfect though.  But the Challenger IS perfect.  It looks like the original even though none of the proportions are even close to being the same.  That's good design work.

TBR

What design? They  just screwed with the proportions of the original car.

footoflead

QuoteWhat design? They  just screwed with the proportions of the original car.
Agreed...

Sorry, i'm a mustang fan all the way...i love em

It took awhile for the look to grow on me, but it does..i kinda like the challenger but i like the camaro more than it, and the mustang more than all of them put together...

call me a whore/troll but a loyal fan i am B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

Both the Camaro and Challenger look far too big, and the Challenger is just ugly and unporputional(sp?)
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ifcar

What's off about the new Challenger's proportions? It looks fine to me in pics and in person.

SVT666

QuoteWhat design? They  just screwed with the proportions of the original car.
Not true.  It is much more difficult to design a vehicle to look like the original with completely different proportions and dimensions then the original then to design something completely different.  That is the mark of a good designer.  The Ford GT wasn't as radically different from the original as the Challenger is, but it is another example of making a car look like the original when it doesn't share one single dimension.  It's extremely difficult to do, which is why I say it was very well designed.  If you look at the new iterations of the Challenger or GT, you would almost think they are the originals...until you put them next to the originals and you realize that they aren't even close.

TBR

QuoteWhat's off about the new Challenger's proportions? It looks fine to me in pics and in person.
Never said there was anything wrong with them, but that is all they changed from the original car.

And, Hemi666, I disagree. It can't possibly be that difficult to take a car's design and change its overhangs, height, and width.

SVT666

QuoteWhat's off about the new Challenger's proportions? It looks fine to me in pics and in person.
Never said there was anything wrong with them, but that is all they changed from the original car.

And, Hemi666, I disagree. It can't possibly be that difficult to take a car's design and change its overhangs, height, and width.
There's a lot more involved then just changing the overhangs.  Anyone who knows anything about design will agree with me.  That's why Chip Foose is such a celebrated designer.  A lot of people say he's overrated, but I would disagree with that.  His designs look like the original cars, but don't share a single body panel.  Take "Eleanor" for example.  It looks just like an original GT500...until you park it next to a real GT500 and then you realize it is completely different.  It's very difficult to do that, and I would argue that because the "new" Challenger's proportions are all completely different then the original that it is extremely difficult to make a car look like the original when not one proportion is the same.  If every proportion is different then logic says the car shouldn't look like the original, but it does.  That is great design.