Volvo Readies New C70 Hardtop Convertible Coupe

Started by BMWDave, May 20, 2005, 08:22:18 AM

BMWDave

EXCLUSIVE: Volvo Readies New C70 Hardtop Convertible Coupe

Proposed Rendering:

DETROIT ? The redesigned four-passenger Volvo C70, which will debut in 2006, will be transformed into a coupe/convertible featuring a three-piece retractable hardtop, Volvo officials told Inside Line.

The folding hardtop replaces the soft-top version of the C70, which the company produced until the end of last year. The three-piece hardtop is designed to give the Volvo convertible, the only one in the Swedish brand's lineup, more of a coupelike appearance, officials said. The new hardtop folds into a small compartment and doesn't compromise trunk space.

It has not yet been determined whether the new C70 will be designated as a 2006 or a 2007 model.

The redesigned C70 is expected to be priced from the high $30,000s. It will also be the third Volvo to feature the so-called "floating console," an ultrathin center stack on the instrument panel that made its first appearance on the Volvo S40 sedan and V50 wagon. The unusual center stack was inspired by the designs of high-end home electronics and has proved to be so popular that Volvo is phasing it into its other products.

What this means to you: A new hardtop convertible priced to compete with the Mercedes-Benz SLK lets us have the best of both worlds. But can Volvo go toe-to-toe with the likes of the SLK with American consumers?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

Wouldn't this be more of a G6/9-3/A4/Solara competitor than SLK competitor?

BMWDave

QuoteWouldn't this be more of a G6/9-3/A4/Solara competitor than SLK competitor?
I think it would be more along the lines of the A4, 9-3, 330ci, rather than a SLK fighter.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

Looks pretty nice, and the price isn't too bad. It's basically an S40 right?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteLooks pretty nice, and the price isn't too bad. It's basically an S40 right?
Thats just a rendering.  I have no idea what it will look like.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteWouldn't this be more of a G6/9-3/A4/Solara competitor than SLK competitor?
I think it would be more along the lines of the A4, 9-3, 330ci, rather than a SLK fighter.
That sounds about right. Higher than the G6 and Solara, but not as high as the SLK.  

Raza

Dear Volvo,
    Give me a C70R with AWD and a slick shifting 6 speed manual (but this time, make it a leather boot, not the plastic one) and I'll give you a check for the MSRP.  Unless you're making a 300HP S40R.  

Sincerely,
                                                                                                     Raza
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

Man, this has been around since Christ...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

I love turbo-diesels...should I become a truck driver just so I can listen to turbos all day?  :praise:  (i've seriously wondered about it...but I'd probably get fat and have to pay for my own truck... <_<...but you get to travel the country..)

BMWDave

QuoteI love turbo-diesels...should I become a truck driver just so I can listen to turbos all day?  :praise:  (i've seriously wondered about it...but I'd probably get fat and have to pay for my own truck... <_<...but you get to travel the country..)
Why would you want to drive a truck...work in a Subaru dealer, then you can drive your STi :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

TurboDan

Nice!  The C70 has always been the "forgotten" Volvo it seems.  My uncle has one (coupe, not convertible) and I love it!  I'm glad they're not dropping the model, but instead improving it.  

I'm not sure how this would compete with the G6 hard top, though?  I mean, size is similar, but nothing else is.  The price of this one is way above the G6, and there are alot more features, I'd presume.  

Actually, this car definitely fills a niche that hasn't been filled yet.  It's not a two seater like the SLK, and not as expensive as the SL and SC430.  The problem is that not many people know this model exists.  If Volvo promotes this well, they'll move a decent number of 'em.  

ifcar

Judging by the S40 pricing, it wouldn't really be that expensive. I'd estimate under $30K base for a 2.4i version.  

Raghavan

QuoteJudging by the S40 pricing, it wouldn't really be that expensive. I'd estimate under $30K base for a 2.4i version.
With hardtop and everything? the G6 itself is going to be priced just under $30k, so i'd think the volvo would be a bit more expensive.

Raza

QuoteJudging by the S40 pricing, it wouldn't really be that expensive. I'd estimate under $30K base for a 2.4i version.
You know, I think that is expensive.  You know you can tack on options until an S40 T5 AWD reaches nearly 40K?  It's crazy.  At that price, I'm looking for the 330i.  I love the T5 AWD, but it's too slow at that price.  An S40R and C70R around 40K would be nice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

You know, I think that is expensive.  You know you can tack on options until an S40 T5 AWD reaches nearly 40K?  It's crazy.  At that price, I'm looking for the 330i.  I love the T5 AWD, but it's too slow at that price.  An S40R and C70R around 40K would be nice.
How much does an S60R cost?

BMWDave

msrp 37, 735.  A great buy, if you ask me.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

nice. so an S40R would only cost about $34k then?

BMWDave

There is no S40R.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

There is no S40R.
hypothetically ;)  

BMWDave

There is no S40R.
hypothetically ;)
It would probably cost about that much.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

With hardtop and everything? the G6 itself is going to be priced just under $30k, so i'd think the volvo would be a bit more expensive.
However, I believe that the current plan is that there will only be a convertible version of the GT trim, and a GT sedan starts at $24K (around the same price as an S40 2.4i). So it's a perfectly realistic possibility that they'd have similar pricing.  

Raghavan

There is no S40R.
hypothetically ;)
It would probably cost about that much.
why? the S60 is the higher level of the two, so why would the lower S40 cost the same?

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan