Battery or starter?

Started by Rupert, March 12, 2006, 01:56:11 AM

Rupert

When I go to start the Jeep after a night of sitting, all I get is a whining sound. The engine isn't turning over. After a few tries (well, quite a few tries), it turns over and starts right up. There're no ticking sounds or anything, and any later starts that day are fine. So, what do y'all think? Battery or starter?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

What's your weather been like? It just may be unwilling to start cold, not an unheard of problem.  

saxonyron

My vote goes to the starter, especially since it comes alive loud and strong after many tries.  If it were the battery, it wouldn't get stronger after more attempts.  Sounds like the solenoid in the started is hung up and at death's door.  I remember some old Fords in the 70's with the separate solonoid off the starter. As a kid,  my Dad had me smack it with a wrench to loosen it up and help it engage - worked every time, till the unit would finally completely die.  The whining sound is probably the starter turning but not engaging.  Good luck!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

footoflead

QuoteMy vote goes to the starter, especially since it comes alive loud and strong after many tries.  If it were the battery, it wouldn't get stronger after more attempts.  Sounds like the solenoid in the started is hung up and at death's door.  I remember some old Fords in the 70's with the separate solonoid off the starter. As a kid,  my Dad had me smack it with a wrench to loosen it up and help it engage - worked every time, till the unit would finally completely die.  The whining sound is probably the starter turning but not engaging.  Good luck!
That is exactly what i was thinking :rockon:

good luck
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

L. ed foote

QuoteWhen I go to start the Jeep after a night of sitting, all I get is a whining sound.
When I get that, I just tell her to stfu...

:lol:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

Run Away

Whack teh starter with a hammer!

Rupert

Hehehe... I think I will try that. I sure don't feel like paying to fix it.
Anyway, this is what I kinda figured was goin on, but I was hoping I was wrong. Batteries are cheap and easy. X_X
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Oh, hehe, so, uh, which thing is the starter? I'ver never had a problem with one so I don't really know what they look like. :P

Run Away

It'll be at the back of the engine bay, where the engine connects to the transmission.
One end will go into the transmission (onto the flywheel), but the starter itself is most likely bolted to your engine, about where the oil pan meets block.
It actually shouldn't be too expensive of a fix, especially if you use used parts (under $100 total easy I say).

sparkplug

Did you check the starter fluid? :D  :D  

Rupert

Yeah, it's fine. But I do need to fill up that turnsignal fluid... ;)

Danke, Run Away. I can't do the work myself because I have nowhere to do it (stupid apartments...).

Run Away

Even so, a new starter is $90 US shipped, and maybe 1.5hours of labour.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangl...1QQcmdZViewItem

footoflead

QuoteEven so, a new starter is $90 US shipped, and maybe 1.5hours of labour.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangl...1QQcmdZViewItem
hour and a half if you catch the guy on lunch break ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Hrm... How hard is it to replace? I might be able to find a place if it won't be a huge project. I'm not gonna pay a mechanic though...

footoflead

QuoteHrm... How hard is it to replace? I might be able to find a place if it won't be a huge project. I'm not gonna pay a mechanic though...
Its not bad really, disconnet the wires..take out some bolts remove starter replace starter with replacement, put bolts back in wire er back up and go

basic hand tools required but you knew that ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Speed_Racer

QuoteMy vote goes to the starter, especially since it comes alive loud and strong after many tries.  If it were the battery, it wouldn't get stronger after more attempts.  Sounds like the solenoid in the started is hung up and at death's door.  I remember some old Fords in the 70's with the separate solonoid off the starter. As a kid,  my Dad had me smack it with a wrench to loosen it up and help it engage - worked every time, till the unit would finally completely die.  The whining sound is probably the starter turning but not engaging.  Good luck!

good luck
Bingo. The exact same thing happened to me in my MR2. It was a simple starter replacement.

Oh wait...no it wasn't. The mechanic had to remove the exhaust piping just to reach it. Luckily you don't have a rear-engined car.

footoflead

QuoteMy vote goes to the starter, especially since it comes alive loud and strong after many tries.  If it were the battery, it wouldn't get stronger after more attempts.  Sounds like the solenoid in the started is hung up and at death's door.  I remember some old Fords in the 70's with the separate solonoid off the starter. As a kid,  my Dad had me smack it with a wrench to loosen it up and help it engage - worked every time, till the unit would finally completely die.  The whining sound is probably the starter turning but not engaging.  Good luck!

good luck
Bingo. The exact same thing happened to me in my MR2. It was a simple starter replacement.

Oh wait...no it wasn't. The mechanic had to remove the exhaust piping just to reach it. Luckily you don't have a rear-engined car.
it sucks to get your clutch replaced in MR2's..

my brother said they had to basically let the engine hang a little to get to it  :ph34r:  :hammerhead:  :hammerhead:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

saxonyron

You might need a lift to get access to it, but in my experience it's been about half way up or so on the tranny where it connects to the engine (wish I could remember more details from repairs during my Jeep days, but the damn thing never broke down!).  It's geared right onto the fly wheel.  If you can get easy access, it shouldn't be too tough to swap out.  Good luck!!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

footoflead

QuoteYou might need a lift to get access to it, but in my experience it's been about half way up or so on the tranny where it connects to the engine (wish I could remember more details from repairs during my Jeep days, but the damn thing never broke down!).  It's geared right onto the fly wheel.  If you can get easy access, it shouldn't be too tough to swap out.  Good luck!!  :rockon:
This is a lifted jeep...i dont think he needs a lift

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Speed_Racer

good luck

it sucks to get your clutch replaced in MR2's..

my brother said they had to basically let the engine hang a little to get to it  :ph34r:  :hammerhead:  :hammerhead:
I'm glad the previous owner replaced it before it was sold to me.

Rupert

QuoteYou might need a lift to get access to it, but in my experience it's been about half way up or so on the tranny where it connects to the engine (wish I could remember more details from repairs during my Jeep days, but the damn thing never broke down!).  It's geared right onto the fly wheel.  If you can get easy access, it shouldn't be too tough to swap out.  Good luck!!  :rockon:
Shee-it, I can practically walk under the damn thing. No lift needed!

saxonyron

QuoteShee-it, I can practically walk under the damn thing. No lift needed!
Sweet!  After looking at your sig pic, you're right.  You may need a ladder to get under there!   B)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

L. ed foote

QuoteBingo. The exact same thing happened to me in my MR2. It was a simple starter replacement.

Neither do you; the MR2 is a mid engine car :mellow:  

:D  

footoflead

QuoteBingo. The exact same thing happened to me in my MR2. It was a simple starter replacement.

Neither do you; the MR2 is a mid engine car :mellow:  

:D
:hammerhead: Close enough...just a couple inches difference  :D  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Pancor

I've replaced my 240's starter on the side of the road in 15 minutes, from the top, using only a 14mm wrench and a 12mm wrench.    It's dead easy on mostrly all vehicles, if you have good access to it.

Rupert

I took a look today, and it looks like a thirty minute job, max. I just need a place to park for half an hour...

Oh, I don't really wanna buy a Haynes ('cause they're twenty bucks). Is it really just unscrew everything (including electrical connection), pull out, and do the reverse? I don't have to check the position of something, hold a part in, etc?

Run Away

I'm sure you could find the factory manual online somewhere if you looked hard enough.

My advice: Change it in the parking lot of an Auto Zone place. If you get hung up, ask for help/advice, or buy the Haynes book.

Rupert

Oh yeah, they let you do that... I don't think we have an AutoZone here. I guess Schucks or NAPA are both OK with parking lot mechanics?

Rupert

derf

L. ed foote

QuoteOh, I don't really wanna buy a Haynes ('cause they're twenty bucks). Is it really just unscrew everything (including electrical connection), pull out, and do the reverse? I don't have to check the position of something, hold a part in, etc?
Haynes manuals are usually crap anyway...

Starter replacement's a piece of cake.  It's pretty much like you described.  What you may want to do is check if there's anything out of the ordinary; for instance, with my Jetta, the starter also bolts to the front motor mount, so you may want to check for something like that.

To replace it, shouldn't take you more than 1/2 hour.

Autozones, Strausses and the like frown on you doing repairs in their lots, but I haven't had a problem yet.