A two wheel drive Cherokee?

Started by Rupert, March 15, 2006, 12:14:13 AM

Rupert

I broke it.

I'm not exactly sure what the specific cause was (though the parking job shown below prolly didn't help much), but now the front driveshaft is busted. (Technically, just the CV joint between the driveshaft and the transfer case). I was cruising along at about 40 on a paved road after a little fun in the woods with a buddy of mine, and suddenly it felt like we'd blown a 33 inch tire! The Jeep was boucing all over the place. As soon as we slowed to about 20-25, the bouncing stopped. We made it to a corner store (after getting out to give it a quick look over) and found our problem. We borrowed some decent tools and undid the U-joint at the differential and tied the driveshaft out of the way (the CV joint's bolts are unaccessable by simple socket wrench). Yep, indeed. Anyone wanna buy a Jeep?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Run Away

You're selling it?
Man if you're really that broke, you should cancel your internet service...

Rupert

More an issue of time and a place to fix it when it breaks than money. I also don't especially feel like dealing with it. It needs a solid week of work and a thousand bucks to really make nice. But, that was kind of a facetious remark about selling it. I'll stick it out for a while more, but the intention was never to keep it longer than a coupla few months. I also realize now what a ridiculous thing it is and what a silly idea I had to sell a good truck and buy this one. X_X Ah, well, live and learn...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Raza

I'm not about to outbid myself.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

QuoteI'm not about to outbid myself.
And I have no use or desire for such a vehicle. Sorry.  :(  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Rupert

0_o

Did you think I'm really trying to sell this thing here?

J86

Rupert

Tom

I would probably pay $700.  As long as it's manual, which I think I remember it being.

Wait, so why was the front drive shaft/CV joint spinning at 40mph?  You had it engaged in 4wd at that speed?

Rupert

I'm not real sure what was goin on. It might have come loose or something... But you can drive in 4-Hi at any speed the Jeep will go.

Yeah, it's a manual. But with all the gear on it, it's worth (as in, I can sell it for) more like $1500, maybe $1800 when I fix the CV, the starter, and the muffler. I really don't want to take a loss on this thing, so we'll see when I do sell it.

thewizard16

Quote0_o

Did you think I'm really trying to sell this thing here?
Nope, but I felt like contributing anyway.  :rockon:  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Rupert

Golly, what a good guy.

I believe the front driveshaft spins when the front wheels are spinning, no matter if 4WD is engaged or not. The transfer case just connects the drivshaft with the power when it's in 4WD. So I probably fucked it up, or put the finishing touches on a previously started fucking up, when my sig pic was taken, and it didn't come loose or really break until it had been spinning at a faster speed for a while.

Tom

You know, it's still very capable offroad only being RWD.

Rupert

Yeah, but there is the issue of the currently bungied to the suspension front driveshaft. X_X

Run Away

Find some Jeep forums and ask for help, I'm sure there's people who wouldn't mind helping a fellow jeeper fix his rig.  

Rupert

I know what it needs doing... I just gotta go do it.

thewizard16

QuoteI know what it needs doing... I just gotta go do it.
Unless you were really mean to it, it was probably something that had already been started. A friend of mine had a wrangler a couple years ago that did something similar, and all he'd been doing was driving it on-road at that point. The mechanic (for what his opinion is worth, I'm no mechanic and I know nothing about these things) said his had likely been having a slow fall-apart for a while. Anyway, good luck getting it fixed, and I'm sure you'll be back to playing in no time.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Rupert

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. I mean, why let the thing articulate so much if it's gonna break stuff when it does? And that brings me to what I'm really worried about. What else is gonna break soon?

footoflead

QuoteYeah, that's pretty much the idea. I mean, why let the thing articulate so much if it's gonna break stuff when it does? And that brings me to what I'm really worried about. What else is gonna break soon?
If your gonna use it how it was meant to be used your gonna break stuff...although this was probably gonna happen sooner or later
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Yeah, that's a given... But I don't wanna have to replace a bunch of the suspension after only a coupla times out.

footoflead

QuoteYeah, that's a given... But I don't wanna have to replace a bunch of the suspension after only a coupla times out.
Well, shoulda kept the trooper dude ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert