Volkswagen's 3-Wheeler GX3 Headed to Production

Started by BMWDave, March 15, 2006, 07:14:05 PM

BMWDave

IL Insider: Volkswagen's Three-Wheeler GX3 Headed to Production
Date posted: 03-15-2006

LOS ANGELES ? At the recent Los Angeles auto show in January, Volkswagen had a most unusual concept car on display ? a three-wheeler or trike called GX3.

Until now it was a question of how the show car would be accepted by the public, and apparently the acceptance was good. Because here are first prototype pictures of the road-going version, caught during secret testing at Lotus in England, which is quite a sensation.

It is powered by a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine delivering 125 horsepower. Due to the light weight of the vehicle it is almost as fast as a Porsche 911. The GX3 accelerates from zero to 62 mph in 5.7 seconds, fuel consumption is 1.4 gallons/62 miles and top speed is 124 mph. It has rear-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission.

However, while a Porsche costs $71,300 in the U.S., the GX3 could be available at $17,000. A cooperation between Volkswagen and Lotus ? the latter owned by Proton, Malaysia ? could mean that the odd three-wheeler made by Volkswagen and Proton-Lotus is meant to be sold not only in the U.S. but worldwide.

The test car on the photos is in various ways different from the concept model. It is furthermore equipped with different types of alloy wheels for testing plus two extra supporting wheels on the side.

What this means to you: Cars are starting to break the mold.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

thewizard16

Will it ever meet safety standards, though?  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Tom

Imagine going 124mph in that thing!  What a mo-f-ing rush that must be.

BMWDave

This is a really cool car...I really hope I'll see it in the U.S soon :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

17 grand?  How hard can I say "I'm buying one"?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote17 grand?  How hard can I say "I'm buying one"?
I'm right behind you in line. I would get one of those and a pick-up for work and daily driving.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote17 grand?  How hard can I say "I'm buying one"?
I'm right behind you in line. I would get one of those and a pick-up for work and daily driving.
I'd get one of those and a convertible for when it's too cold to drive the GX3 to work.

:)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

If only this would be available this summer. I bet there will be dealer mark-up though.

Raza

QuoteIf only this would be available this summer. I bet there will be dealer mark-up though.
I know a guy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Raza you can just kill everyone at VW with a shovel one by one and then pass out GX3's to everyone here.

JYODER240

Won't this thing tip if it corners to hard or will it overstear?

Raza

QuoteWon't this thing tip if it corners to hard or will it overstear?
I have no idea how it will react, but I sure as hell want to find out.  I'm not keen on helmets, though.  They ruin my hair.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

and the wind if you aren't wearing one wont? I want to take one of these auto-xing!!

thewizard16

It looks like fun, I'd just hope I didn't get hit by anything bigger than an insect.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quoteand the wind if you aren't wearing one wont? I want to take one of these auto-xing!!
Nah, wind tossed is the look these days.  Helmet hair is worse than hat hair!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

I'll be surprised if this thing gets sold in the US.  I think it would have to be classified as a motorcycle.  Even then, the height is going to be a serious safety issue.

Raza

QuoteI'll be surprised if this thing gets sold in the US.  I think it would have to be classified as a motorcycle.  Even then, the height is going to be a serious safety issue.
"... could mean that the odd three-wheeler made by Volkswagen and Proton-Lotus is meant to be sold not only in the U.S. but worldwide."

I don't think it would be classified as a motorbike, since it doesn't drive like one--it has automobile controls.  Requiring a motorcycle license to drive this car would be retarded.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I think I read somewhere that it will be classified as a motorcycle. Its not really a big deal a motorcycle liscence isnt a bad thing to have anyways.

Raza

QuoteI think I read somewhere that it will be classified as a motorcycle. Its not really a big deal a motorcycle liscence isnt a bad thing to have anyways.
Yeah, but to get a motorcycle license, you need a motorcycle.  This is a car--it has two seats, a steering wheel, a real transmission.  It drives like a car, it doesn't need anymore training to drive.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I agree it should be classified as a car but even if its not it wouldnt stop me from buying one.  I know plenty of people with motorcycles that would teach me and I could use their bikes to get my liscence.

Raza

I don't know anyone.  I'd have to find a cheap used bike (under $1000) get my license, and sell the bike (hopefully it'll be so cheap at that point I won't lose any money).  That would definitely turn me off, since the GX3 would need engine modification later, and I can't afford to burn money like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

anti_analog

I've read a few places that this will be classified as a motorcycle, not unlike a T-Rex, which I believe is classified as a motorcycle.  Of course, this is all conjecture until VW announces the real thing.
They have to do something because this "car" can't pass all the safety standards of a car.  And, ignoring those safety standards is how they can save weight and bring you this vehicle.
I hope they don't go too far and show some more than basic interest in occupant protection.  Reinforcements, airbags, something to make me feel at least a little safe in a modest collision besides a good seat with 4 point harnesses and a helment.  
If the prospect of this car isn't completely terrifying, I could see myself driving one to work on sunny days.  And if they somehow get around needing a motorcycle liscense for it, all the better, though I could borrow a bike if I needed to take the class (one of my coworkers says he'll bring over his road legal scooter for my test if I'm taking it, says that's the EASIEST vehicle possible for the test, he used it after he failed the first time on his Indian).
A lockable and water resistant cargo compartment big enough for a helmet, my laptop bag, maybe a small amount of groceries would be a big plus too.

Also, that edmunds blurb relates this thing to a Porsche 911 in speed...isn't a 911 around 4.5 0-60 nowadays?  That's a good bit faster than what VW is claiming for this thing...

Raza

Conservatively, the standard Carrera hits 60 in 4.8 seconds, but I've seen closer to 4 flat in the Carrera S.  Yeah, it's a whole lot slower, but it'll feel a whole lot faster.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

anti_analog

Very true that it will feel faster!  That's what I really need, a car that feels fast, but really isn't, so I don't get tickets or pay high insurance premiums.

Raza

QuoteVery true that it will feel faster!  That's what I really need, a car that feels fast, but really isn't, so I don't get tickets or pay high insurance premiums.
Get something cheap, old and Korean and take out the windshield!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i