I've been thinking lately...

Started by 280Z Turbo, March 17, 2006, 07:11:58 PM

280Z Turbo

...about doing the popular Ford Ranger V8 swap. I'll soon be getting a Saab in lieu of the Ranger and that leaves the question of what to do with this truck.

It's already ugly so I can do whatever the hell I want to it. Additionally, it only weighs about 2600 lbs, so it would have a good power to weight ratio.

Although, it also has very little weight in the back, but oversteer could be cured will fat tires on the back.

V8 engines are cheap, powerful, and have a big aftermarket. I'd probably get an engine, transmission, and rear end from the junkyard. The biggest problems would likely be engine/trans mounts, driveshaft, and cooling issues. It could be done and has been done, though.

It's not something I'm planning on doing anytime soon, just a dream right now.

BTW, I checked...there's no way a Nissan L28 can fit in there!

footoflead

Hey it sounds like a good project to do some learning and gain some more fabrication skills since it doesnt really matter if you screw it up ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Haven't you already had enough Saab experience? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

QuoteHaven't you already had enough Saab experience? ;)
That was a poorly maintained, 17 year old car for $650.

Rupert

What's the new one? You still have that Z, right?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Yeah, I got that... What's the new one gonna be? Oh, right... the topic... I'm all for squishing big engines into little packages. You'll be needing some really wide rubber to keep the back half where you want it to be.

280Z Turbo

LOL! I know!

I'd probably have to do 15x7 inch rims in the front and 15x10 inch rims out back!

I want to get a Saab 900 Turbo. I really like the power and efficiency from turbos, and the Saab 900 is the most practical, affordable one out there, IMO.

Rupert

Hehehe, yeah, at least...

I like the 900 series. What years are you looking at?

280Z Turbo

It is the long wheelbase version which would probably make it easier to control, or make the weight distirbution worse!

1995-1998 is what I'm looking at.

Rupert

What if you added weight to the back?

Neato. I'm a big fan of the older Saabs, the 99 and the early 900s, and anything older than that.

Tom

ro51092

What's your price range? I'm sure there are better cars out there than the Saab 900.

Rupert

Sure, but then they wouldn't be a Saab. :rolleyes:

sparkplug

Yeah, a 302 or 331 would be bad in a Ranger.  

L. ed foote

QuoteYeah, a 302 or 331 would be bad in a Ranger.
The 302 is pretty common.  I've seen a couple.

IIRC, it's a pretty difficult swap to pull off.  Make sure you have plenty of beer and friends to pitch in

MRE Ranger's World

Jamesduff.com

The Ranger Station

Good luck, have fun, take plenty of pictures & let us know how it goes  :praise:  
Member, Self Preservation Society