Next Crown Vic

Started by BMWDave, May 20, 2005, 09:51:55 AM

BMWDave

Its a chop by someone on Autoweek forums....what do you think?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't like the front end, it looks better on the 500(even though its basically a 500 front choped on). I'm not a big fan of those lights, they look OK on the 500, on this chop the front end looks too narrow(in the overall width and the lights look narrow).  

mazda6er

I was hoping that Ford would realize that the 500 is a natural replacement for the Crown Vic, and not bother to continue building TWO large sedans. I can only assume they're continuing to produce them for police/taxi/rental purposes. Doesn't look that bad though, but I'd like to see it more differentiated from the Fusion/revised 500, when the time comes.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SargeMonkey

Looks like a malibu-camary-caddy highbrid. I thought that the 500 was just plain ugly  <_<  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Tom

I hope they keep the traditional RWD setup and consider dropping the Mustang 8 into it.

ifcar

It looks squashed, making the Crown Vic look narrow (of all things). I assume that if it got that treatment, it would come off better.

And I don't see why this wouldn't retain its RWD and V8, otherwise it would be entirely cannibalized by the Five Hundred.  

Raza

Looks like shit.

Besides the Crown Vic should never change.  A 3011 Crown Vic should look the same as a 2002 one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GMPenguin

I don't like this 'put the fusion front on everything' idea.  It'd be nice if it had a more modern yet contemporary look, though, with maybe the same contours.

93JC

QuoteI don't like this 'put the fusion front on everything' idea.  It'd be nice if it had a more modern yet contemporary look, though, with maybe the same contours.
I second everything said in this post.

I would also like to second the notion that the Crown Vic should get the Mustang's version of the 4.6L Modular engine. The 239hp version should be dropped entirely, with a base V6 to replace it (the Mustang's 4.0L V6 would also serve the Crown Vic well in this role).

Catman

I don't think that the 500 is a good replacement for the CV.  Don't get me wrong, I like the 500.  But, the CV has always been RWD and pretty big.  Personally I think Ford should use a slightly longer and wider 500 chassis for the next CV and retain the RWD which I believe is possible with that platform.  And, I think the family resemblance is important as long as they all don't look identical.

TBR

QuoteI don't think that the 500 is a good replacement for the CV.  Don't get me wrong, I like the 500.  But, the CV has always been RWD and pretty big.  Personally I think Ford should use a slightly longer and wider 500 chassis for the next CV and retain the RWD which I believe is possible with that platform.  And, I think the family resemblance is important as long as they all don't look identical.
Actually, it isn't possible because the Five Hundred uses a transaxle.

Catman

QuoteI don't think that the 500 is a good replacement for the CV.  Don't get me wrong, I like the 500.  But, the CV has always been RWD and pretty big.  Personally I think Ford should use a slightly longer and wider 500 chassis for the next CV and retain the RWD which I believe is possible with that platform.  And, I think the family resemblance is important as long as they all don't look identical.
You're right.  I read recently that Ford was replacing the Panther platform with a new one to support the next Town Car/CV.

giant_mtb

QuoteI don't think that the 500 is a good replacement for the CV.  Don't get me wrong, I like the 500.  But, the CV has always been RWD and pretty big.  Personally I think Ford should use a slightly longer and wider 500 chassis for the next CV and retain the RWD which I believe is possible with that platform.  And, I think the family resemblance is important as long as they all don't look identical.
You're right.  I read recently that Ford was replacing the Panther platform with a new one to support the next Town Car/CV.
Umm...what's the panther platform? (doesn't seem to be on my list....)  Is it the old (or soon to be replaced) CV/Grand Marquis/Town Car platform?

93JC

Ford named its late-'70s platforms after animals.

"Panther" was the platform underneath the Ford LTD (which later became "LTD Crown Victoria", and then "Crown Victoria" in the '90s) and the Mercury Marquis (which later became "Grand Marquis").

The other 'animal' platform was "Fox". "Fox" was originally the basis for the '78 Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. It later became the basis of the Ford Mustang (until this newest generation), Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII and the downsized Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis (the Panther LTD and Marquis became LTD Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis when the Fox LTD and Marquis were introduced).

The '04 Mustang was the last of the Fox-body cars, while the Panther continues to soldier on underneath Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car. As far as I know Panther is the oldest car platform still in use today (it dates to calendar year '78, model year '79).

JWC

According to the latest info to dealers...

and because we were taking about the end of the Taurus, we were discussing this today at work. According to a meeting the dealer owner attended, the Crown will be in production as long as it remains popular in fleet service...taxi and police.  Ford will continue to offer civilian versions, but is discouraging orders. Same with the Taurus, fleet=good; non-fleet=bad.

According to the reps, the 500 is aimed at the 40+ generations. The Fusion is intended for those under 40.  Grilles on all models are similar as Ford tries to adopt a style that gives their cars and trucks a easily recognized identifier....like Jag, Volvo, and Saab. With the exception of the Mustang, all model names begin with "F".  Dashboards have similar treatments that give them a "Ford" appearance.

giant_mtb

QuoteFord named its late-'70s platforms after animals.

"Panther" was the platform underneath the Ford LTD (which later became "LTD Crown Victoria", and then "Crown Victoria" in the '90s) and the Mercury Marquis (which later became "Grand Marquis").

The other 'animal' platform was "Fox". "Fox" was originally the basis for the '78 Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. It later became the basis of the Ford Mustang (until this newest generation), Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar, Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII and the downsized Ford LTD and Mercury Marquis (the Panther LTD and Marquis became LTD Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis when the Fox LTD and Marquis were introduced).

The '04 Mustang was the last of the Fox-body cars, while the Panther continues to soldier on underneath Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car. As far as I know Panther is the oldest car platform still in use today (it dates to calendar year '78, model year '79).
That's pretty interesting...a little confusing, too. lol

TBR

I have actually heard that the next Town Car will be based on the Five Hundred platform (meaning it will be FWD or AWD) with its next redesign.

giant_mtb

I have actually heard that the next Town Car will be based on the Five Hundred platform (meaning it will be FWD or AWD) with its next redesign.
I wouldn't like a TC with FWD...AWD is fine, but it shouldn't be FWD... :(   AWD or RWD is the only way to go...especially with the big bad Town Car.

Fire It Up

If the next Crown Vix is 500 based, will the cops still use them? Or will they use Chryslers/Dodges?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

CaseyNPham

QuoteI don't like the front end, it looks better on the 500(even though its basically a 500 front choped on). I'm not a big fan of those lights, they look OK on the 500, on this chop the front end looks too narrow(in the overall width and the lights look narrow).
isn't the 500 front more conservative? Or is this gonna be what the next 500 like when it gets refreshed in one year ;)

Anywho, I think the Crown Victoria should change too much, although

? The door windows are currently rounded at the edges--make them more edgy
? shorten the overhangs
? make the hood and trunk taller

and you'll have a perfect replacement stylewise, at least according to me. I just heard that it got recalled, but I don't remember why. And how long has it been in production?
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

ifcar

QuoteI don't like the front end, it looks better on the 500(even though its basically a 500 front choped on). I'm not a big fan of those lights, they look OK on the 500, on this chop the front end looks too narrow(in the overall width and the lights look narrow).
isn't the 500 front more conservative? Or is this gonna be what the next 500 like when it gets refreshed in one year ;)
The Five Hundred is expected to get that thread for the 07 MY. There's a chop of what it will probably look like in another thread in this section.

BMWDave

QuoteI don't think that the 500 is a good replacement for the CV.? Don't get me wrong, I like the 500.? But, the CV has always been RWD and pretty big.? Personally I think Ford should use a slightly longer and wider 500 chassis for the next CV and retain the RWD which I believe is possible with that platform.? And, I think the family resemblance is important as long as they all don't look identical.
I wouldn't like a TC with FWD...AWD is fine, but it shouldn't be FWD... :(   AWD or RWD is the only way to go...especially with the big bad Town Car.
Letting aside your enthusiasts take on things, (even though the CV and TC have RWD they still drive like squash mobiles) a RWD platform is needed due to maintenance concerns.  RWD is easier to fix, and in a fleet, with cars routinely drive into the 100Ks you need easy to fix cars.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...