Hello, my name is Psilos (Hi Psilos!)

Started by Rupert, March 25, 2006, 05:17:43 PM

footoflead

QuoteYes. I just put it in.

Unless this is a really cheap and easy fix, I'll prolly sell it as is. I don't want to put any more money into it. If it's running well, and everything works, I can maybe get $1900 for it. I've almost put that into it already, and if I spend another $400 fixing it, the value won't be any higher. As is, with all it's goodies, I can likely get $900.
Should have kept the trooper...

i'm not gonna let you live this mistake down  :lol:  :devil:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

QuoteYes. I just put it in.

Unless this is a really cheap and easy fix, I'll prolly sell it as is. I don't want to put any more money into it. If it's running well, and everything works, I can maybe get $1900 for it. I've almost put that into it already, and if I spend another $400 fixing it, the value won't be any higher. As is, with all it's goodies, I can likely get $900.
Should have kept the trooper...

i'm not gonna let you live this mistake down  :lol:  :devil:
You know what they say, the devil you know beats the devil you don't.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sparkplug

Hope it works out for you. You could get a moped. Women like boyfriends with mopeds. Or is it motorcycles?

footoflead

QuoteHope it works out for you. You could get a moped. Women like boyfriends with mopeds. Or is it motorcycles?
No..i'm pretty sure its the moped :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

It hurts me to post this.  This was my post from your "getting rid of the Trooper" thread.

QuoteSounds like the "I need something new" syndrome. $600 dollars in your pocket is really chump change, especially if something significant breaks in the new vehicle.

:hammerhead:

footoflead

QuoteIt hurts me to post this.  This was my post from your "getting rid of the Trooper" thread.

QuoteSounds like the "I need something new" syndrome. $600 dollars in your pocket is really chump change, especially if something significant breaks in the new vehicle.

:hammerhead:
Whoa... :blink:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Yep...

I'm gonna try to figure out what actually happened tomorrow when I have some time. I'll report my findings and clues.

There has been a very exciting vehicular development that almost makes up for the Jeep, but I need to get photos and a new thread. :D
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I looked over the Jeep today... There aren't any puddles that aren't usually there. There is nothing obviously wrong, no broken bits hanging, nothing blown out.

This is what I know: The starter that is "new", that is, it's a yard part, is still there and hooked up right. When I go to start it, I turn the key to start and get a *dink* sound, I turn the key back and get a *dunk* sound. I looked in the carb and saw nothing odd.

With the knowledge of how it all happened, my conclusion would be that something got in through the carb, maybe a screw or something, and now the engine is fuckered. But I really don't think I'm qualified to say that for sure. Are there any other options anyone can think of? Preferably something cheap and easy to fix ;) .
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I think it's time to shop around for a used 4.0l I6...

footoflead

I think you need a moped

you could go back to miatas B)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

I think it's time to buy that Haynes manual....

Rupert

It might be whatever you think it is, but the digi cam isn't near my computer, so you'll have to wait a little longer. It's pretty sweet, either way.

The options are only fix it cheaply or sell it as is. I'm not putting that much more money into it. Any ideas as to other things it could be?

Lazerous

QuoteIt might be whatever you think it is, but the digi cam isn't near my computer, so you'll have to wait a little longer. It's pretty sweet, either way.

The options are only fix it cheaply or sell it as is. I'm not putting that much more money into it. Any ideas as to other things it could be?
a rock thats clogging your exhaust pipe? Ya I know thats not likely, but the only other thing I could think of

footoflead

QuoteIt might be whatever you think it is, but the digi cam isn't near my computer, so you'll have to wait a little longer. It's pretty sweet, either way.

a rock thats clogging your exhaust pipe? Ya I know thats not likely, but the only other thing I could think of
If a rock got stuck in your exhast and it didnt come in the out then thats the least of your worrys :P  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

Figure out if the engine will actually turn over or not (jump start, turning the crank by hand), then go from there.

Rupert

How does one turn the crank by hand?

Run Away

Put a socket on the crank pulley nut (it'll be in the center of the big pulley connected to your crankshaft, the one that all the accessory belts run off of) , and using a breaker bar see if you can make the engine turn.

footoflead

Or you can just say fuck it and let the highest bidder blow it up ;)

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Does it matter which way I turn it?

Run Away

That's a good question actually, I have always turned it in the same direction as it runs, and I don't know which way that would be on the 2.5L.

But for what you're trying to find out, I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't matter either way.

JWC

QuotePut a socket on the crank pulley nut (it'll be in the center of the big pulley connected to your crankshaft, the one that all the accessory belts run off of) , and using a breaker bar see if you can make the engine turn.
....and don't forget to remove the spark plugs first, turns easier. ;)  

Run Away

Rupert

It's pushing the clause in the lease to even be in there trying to turn it by hand, so removing bits, even something as small as spark plugs, is too much. X_X Dammit, I want a house with a driveway!

ifcar

Do you know anyone with a car that could tow it to a gas station or even any business's parking lot?

Laconian

Give my former roommate a call and you will probably be able to use the driveway, or the gravel patch next to the road.  
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Run Away

I'm wondering if it's maybe something related to your front driveshaft that you busted, maybe your transfercase seized up or something.
Only way that explanation would work is if you arn't pushing in the clutch when trying to turn it over. Are you?

Rupert

Yup. Could it just be a bad starter unrelated to the whatever happened with the air filter and it shutting down mid-drive?

Run Away

It could be that too, but that doesn't explain the no power or wooshing noises you were describing. Maybe the starter didn't dissengage? That would cause alot of resistance, it would make more of a mechanical whine though I think.

If you put the truck in neutral, can you push it?

Who changed the starter?

Rupert

Yeah, I can push the thing in neutral... That's how I got it into a decent parking spot when it died :P . I changed the starter (well, my friend did most of the work for some reason --I guess he wanted to 'cause it was his garage--, but he didn't do anything I wouldn't have done).