Hello, my name is Psilos (Hi Psilos!)

Started by Rupert, March 25, 2006, 05:17:43 PM

Rupert

Yup, that's right. First class, grade A id-jit. That shitty Jeep? Well, it's dead. Once and for all. I didn't tighten the air filter cover enough last time it was off (didn't have a wrench handy... figured I'd do it later... then forgot). Today the cover came off. I didn't realize this, thinking that strange new sound would go away soon. Then, sputter, sputter, kersplatt. No more engine. Anyone wanna buy a Jeep? (Slightly more serious this time).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Man, if I were an asshole I'd say you should have kept the Trooper.  

But I'm not, so, I feel for you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteYup, that's right. First class, grade A id-jit. That shitty Jeep? Well, it's dead. Once and for all. I didn't tighten the air filter cover enough last time it was off (didn't have a wrench handy... figured I'd do it later... then forgot). Today the cover came off. I didn't realize this, thinking that strange new sound would go away soon. Then, sputter, sputter, kersplatt. No more engine. Anyone wanna buy a Jeep? (Slightly more serious this time).
Hi Psilos...welcome to car idiots anonymous :wave:

So what exactly is the problem
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

QuoteYup, that's right. First class, grade A id-jit. That shitty Jeep? Well, it's dead. Once and for all. I didn't tighten the air filter cover enough last time it was off (didn't have a wrench handy... figured I'd do it later... then forgot). Today the cover came off. I didn't realize this, thinking that strange new sound would go away soon. Then, sputter, sputter, kersplatt. No more engine. Anyone wanna buy a Jeep? (Slightly more serious this time).
You really think the engine is gone?  

Rupert

Yeah, yeah, Raza, I shoulda kept the damned Trooper.

All I know for certain is that I'll finish this post later.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Speed_Racer

Well...this has turned into the worst case scenario very quickly.

280Z Turbo

Tom

I don't think not having an air filter for a little while would do anything serious.  Are you sure the motor is dead?  How many miles were it driven w/o a filter, and on what terrain?

I have a feeling if your motor died it was coincidentally caused by somehting elese.

Raza

QuoteYeah, yeah, Raza, I shoulda kept the damned Trooper.

All I know for certain is that I'll finish this post later.
Sometimes the whole world takes a shit on you.  Sometimes it kisses you right on the lips.  

Don't worry, fellow, there'll be a hill soon.  Life can't be all valleys.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

QuoteI don't think not having an air filter for a little while would do anything serious.  Are you sure the motor is dead?  How many miles were it driven w/o a filter, and on what terrain?

I have a feeling if your motor died it was coincidentally caused by somehting elese.
If Psilos was driving off-road in really dirty and dusty conditions, it is possible. I've seen it on forestry department trucks.  

Raza

QuoteI don't think not having an air filter for a little while would do anything serious.  Are you sure the motor is dead?  How many miles were it driven w/o a filter, and on what terrain?

If Psilos was driving off-road in really dirty and dusty conditions, it is possible. I've seen it on forestry department trucks.
Yeah, but I don't think Psilos lives in a forest or anything.  He lives in Washington. They do have roads in Washington, don't they?  Don't they?

;)  :P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

QuoteI don't think not having an air filter for a little while would do anything serious.  Are you sure the motor is dead?  How many miles were it driven w/o a filter, and on what terrain?

Maybe he sucked something up. (water, a stone, etc.)

Lazerous

QuoteI don't think not having an air filter for a little while would do anything serious.  Are you sure the motor is dead?  How many miles were it driven w/o a filter, and on what terrain?

Maybe he sucked something up. (water, a stone, etc.)
thats weird, I remember when I first got my cold air intake for my car, I got some no brand name filter (big mistake) and there are some bumpy roads where I live, and the filter came off, I didnt notice that until like 4 days later, then I ordered another filter which tooks around 5-7days to arrive, and all that while I was driving back and forth to college and other places, never had a problem. So ya it might be something else, but if you did run through alot of puddles then it most likely really is cause you sucked in something bad

Run Away

Yeah, the missing filter probably didn't kill it.

That nutty turbo Civic my engine builder guy drives on a daily basis doesn't have a filter in front of the turbo, been driving it for a few months now. He just told me not to drive in puddles of any size.

I doubt puddles would be much of a concern in a lifted Jeep though, the intake is quite a bit higher than the turbo on a lowered Civic....

280Z Turbo

I remember in a recent R&T top speed test, a Hennesy Venom twin turbo Viper was run without filters and it sucked up a pebble and damaged a turbo impeller shaft. No internal damage, though.

Also, Mini Cooper S's have reportedly had a big problem with engines blowing up after they injest water through the hood scoop.

It's possible.  

sparkplug

You might have run out of gas. Or it might have a safety mechanism desiged to protect the engine from unfiltered air. Hmmm.... maybe.  Fix the problem with the intake and see if it'll run.

footoflead

QuoteYou might have run out of gas.
;) Come on...you cant be serious

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteOr it might have a safety mechanism desiged to protect the engine from unfiltered air.
On a crude old Jeep?

Lazerous

Im sure he was smoking or drinking something when he typed this :P

footoflead

That post made me think Raghavan had come back  :lol:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

That post made me think Raghavan had come back  :lol:
Muffin would have said "wouldn't have happened if it were RWD!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sparkplug

I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs. Just out of curiousity what happened to his car.

My feeling are hurt. Cash apology please.

Raza

QuoteI don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs.
Well, those are a few of your problems right there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Well, angel-boy, I didn't run outa gas.

I dunno what is going on in the engine, but here's what happened: I drove it around running errands, came back, parked for a few minutes to get something, and started it again. There was a funny noise, kind of a whooshing (I'm guessing b/c there was no filter), and I figured it would go away soon. I drove out of the parking lot, still whooshing, and up the hill directly out of the lot. In first gear, it barely made it when it has had no problems before. I figured it would get better in the next block, or I'd turn around. A block later, there was a clunking kinda noise and it stopped. It won't turn over now.  

sparkplug

Lazerous

QuoteI don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs. Just out of curiousity what happened to his car.

awwwww I feel so bad now, please gimme your paypal account AND password so I can deposit $20k in there

Rupert

Yes. I just put it in.

Unless this is a really cheap and easy fix, I'll prolly sell it as is. I don't want to put any more money into it. If it's running well, and everything works, I can maybe get $1900 for it. I've almost put that into it already, and if I spend another $400 fixing it, the value won't be any higher. As is, with all it's goodies, I can likely get $900.

sparkplug

QuoteI don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs. Just out of curiousity what happened to his car.

awwwww I feel so bad now, please gimme your paypal account AND password so I can deposit $20k in there
Why that's nice. But I've made it a policy in my life never to take money from sarcastic people who really aren't genuinely concerned about the way they treat other human beings. Anotherwords I don't take money from a$$holes.  :P

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lazerous

Why that's nice. But I've made it a policy in my life never to take money from sarcastic people who really aren't genuinely concerned about the way they treat other human beings. Anotherwords I don't take money from a$$holes.  :P
Okay now my feelings are hurt. Cash apology only please. :P :D