Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

Morris Minor

In Georgia we have the "Super Speeder Law." This is a $200 surcharge on "a driver convicted of speeding at 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or at 85 mph and above on any road or highway." The max on a 2-lane is 55 & that on a freeway is 70, so it amounts to getting fucked for being >15 over the limit.  But get this, it's not assessed by the courts, which have their own sets of fines & penalties: it's over & above, assessed by the Department of Driver Services (DMV), who will suspend your license if you ton't pay inside 120 days.

So total costs could easy could easily run to more than $1K, not really doable if you're young & living paycheck to paycheck.

It's wrong. 85 in a 70 is something I see every day, all it takes is cop's random roll of the dice to decide it's your turn to have your life made miserable.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

68_427

I got a ticket Sunday on my way into work.  I have yellow tinted bulbs in my car.  I prefer the way it reflects off of white reflective surfaces like since and road lines.  So I'm stopped at a light and a cop drives by.  No biggie, I'm not doing anything wrong I'll just continue on my way once the light turns green.  I do however try to watch which direction he turn at the next intersection, just because I'm curious and don't want to end up driving behind this guy for 10 miles on my way to work.  So I watch him turn on his right turn signal, then look away assuming that's where he's going.  My light turns green and I drive, continuing straight where I thought he turned right.  BUT... he ends up behind me.  Ok nice one dude.  Fool me once; shame on me.  I'm doing 1-2mph over the speedlimit and I'm light on the throttle to keep my car as quiet as possible then his lights turn on and I'm just thinking "Oh great what the fuck man, you're going to make me late what could you POSSIBLY be pulling me over for?".  I pull over, lower my window, shut my car off, put my keys on the dash and by now he's at my window.  He says the generic "how are you doing, where are you coming from, where are you going" etc.  Then asks me what's up with my headlights.  I'm confused for a second, because I just replaced my fuse block so I know they're all operational, so I answer him admitting I don't understand what he's asking.  He tells me "They're yellow.  That's illegal."  (It's not, and I know it's not)  I politely tell him that NYS permits white and/or yellow, and ONLY white and/or yellow lights on the front of pedestrian vehicles.  This stuns this rookie cop.  He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready.  To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin'.  What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud.  He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out.  Ok only that last one is true.  He finally says, after a couple seconds of slack jawed silence "but this color is different, they call it sunburst aroma".  SUNBURST AROMA EVERYBODY  I choked on some laughter and he went back to his car, which he sat in for 5 minutes before coming back, and handing me a ticket for my exhaust, and unlicensed driver.  So I get my exhaust signed off my one of my many friends with inspectors licenses and go to the court to hand in my tickets.  I explained my situation at the court, and both tickets were dropped on the spot since I was only pulled over because of this officers insufficient knowledge of the laws he's supposed to be enforcing.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 02, 2016, 07:28:04 PM
In Georgia we have the "Super Speeder Law." This is a $200 surcharge on "a driver convicted of speeding at 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or at 85 mph and above on any road or highway." The max on a 2-lane is 55 & that on a freeway is 70, so it amounts to getting fucked for being >15 over the limit.  But get this, it's not assessed by the courts, which have their own sets of fines & penalties: it's over & above, assessed by the Department of Driver Services (DMV), who will suspend your license if you ton't pay inside 120 days.

So total costs could easy could easily run to more than $1K, not really doable if you're young & living paycheck to paycheck.

It's wrong. 85 in a 70 is something I see every day, all it takes is cop's random roll of the dice to decide it's your turn to have your life made miserable.

Yes, it's wrong. Speeding enforcement in this country is utterly ridiculous. It's overzealous, but at the same time somewhat lax and random.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on May 04, 2016, 12:47:11 AM
I got a ticket Sunday on my way into work.  I have yellow tinted bulbs in my car.  I prefer the way it reflects off of white reflective surfaces like since and road lines.  So I'm stopped at a light and a cop drives by.  No biggie, I'm not doing anything wrong I'll just continue on my way once the light turns green.  I do however try to watch which direction he turn at the next intersection, just because I'm curious and don't want to end up driving behind this guy for 10 miles on my way to work.  So I watch him turn on his right turn signal, then look away assuming that's where he's going.  My light turns green and I drive, continuing straight where I thought he turned right.  BUT... he ends up behind me.  Ok nice one dude.  Fool me once; shame on me.  I'm doing 1-2mph over the speedlimit and I'm light on the throttle to keep my car as quiet as possible then his lights turn on and I'm just thinking "Oh great what the fuck man, you're going to make me late what could you POSSIBLY be pulling me over for?".  I pull over, lower my window, shut my car off, put my keys on the dash and by now he's at my window.  He says the generic "how are you doing, where are you coming from, where are you going" etc.  Then asks me what's up with my headlights.  I'm confused for a second, because I just replaced my fuse block so I know they're all operational, so I answer him admitting I don't understand what he's asking.  He tells me "They're yellow.  That's illegal."  (It's not, and I know it's not)  I politely tell him that NYS permits white and/or yellow, and ONLY white and/or yellow lights on the front of pedestrian vehicles.  This stuns this rookie cop.  He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready.  To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin'.  What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud.  He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out.  Ok only that last one is true.  He finally says, after a couple seconds of slack jawed silence "but this color is different, they call it sunburst aroma".  SUNBURST AROMA EVERYBODY  I choked on some laughter and he went back to his car, which he sat in for 5 minutes before coming back, and handing me a ticket for my exhaust, and unlicensed driver.  So I get my exhaust signed off my one of my many friends with inspectors licenses and go to the court to hand in my tickets.  I explained my situation at the court, and both tickets were dropped on the spot since I was only pulled over because of this officers insufficient knowledge of the laws he's supposed to be enforcing.

Don't you know you're supposed to roll over and let them do whatever they want? You're lucky to be alive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on May 04, 2016, 12:47:11 AM

Damn dude, you're a cop magnet even in the rare cases when you're doing nothing wrong.  Nailing you for faulty lights is like nailing Al Capone for tax evasion.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Have you seen his car? Cops love that shit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CaminoRacer

Ya gotta get more classic cars - then you can do cool stuff and/or stupid stuff and cops don't bother you. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Yeah there's still a clear bias against anything that isn't American
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Nah, it's the lowered 15 year car with shiny wheels and shit hanging from the bumper, not the foreign-ness.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

68_427

That doesn't explain why the straight piped, hood scooped 4th gen F bodies and SN95 Mustangs with black or chrome wheels and shitty blacked out head/taillights don't get a second look.
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Don't they? All I know is my foreign car hasn't ever attracted undue attention.

68_427

Not where I live.  Seems any American truck or "Muscle car" gets a free pass.  From what I've seen the East side of the city is much different.  The west side is much more blue collar which probably explains it to some extent.
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

I think there is some observer bias happening here...

CALL_911

Quote from: Rupert on May 05, 2016, 09:47:50 PM
Nah, it's the lowered 15 year car with shiny wheels and shit hanging from the bumper, not the foreign-ness.

Yeah, this.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Klackamas

Some interesting reading (tech reports) from Valentine One

http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

MrH

I've never owned a radar detector, but every car I've ridden in with them just blare false alarms the entire time.

Waze + knowing the typical cop hiding spots is all it takes. 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I think radar detectors are just ticket magnets anyway. if you have one, the cops will try to fuck you as hard as they legally can.

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 31, 2016, 11:05:42 PM
I think radar detectors are just ticket magnets anyway. if you have one, the cops will try to fuck you as hard as they legally can.

That's why you mount it as high on the windshield as possible.   I fabricated a bracket and attached it just under the header with 3M double sided emblem tape.  the wiring runs up the A pillar and across the header under the upholstery.  The cop has to get on his knees to see it.  It also helps to reach up and shut it off before the cop walks up to your car if you are stopped.

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on May 31, 2016, 08:44:59 AM
Waze + knowing the typical cop hiding spots is all it takes.

That's much more difficult trips into new territory.  A radar detector supplements smart driving, it doesn't replace it.

dazzleman

Quote from: CLKid on June 03, 2016, 01:03:08 AM
That's much more difficult trips into new territory.  A radar detector supplements smart driving, it doesn't replace it.

I think that's the main point.  It'seems one of several tools that can be helpful.   Though I have long since stopped using one.  The false alarms drove me crazy.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

My solution is to drive old vehicles that are obnoxious to drive above 75/80 for extended periods. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

So been considering registering my car in Florida to give NYS less money
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on June 03, 2016, 12:57:44 PM
So been considering registering my car in Florida to give NYS less money

Where would you save?  Registration fees?  Insurance?

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on June 07, 2016, 09:41:07 AM
Where would you save?  Registration fees?  Insurance?

No NYS inspection 😂
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on June 07, 2016, 02:25:01 PM
No NYS inspection 😂

That seems like a lot of work to avoid an inspection fee.  Maybe you should prioritize getting your license back and holding onto it for a while.  :evildude:

giant_mtb

Wouldn't out of state plates just make you even more of a target? 

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 10, 2016, 04:36:05 PM

He could hardly be more of a target than he already is, apparently..... :lol:

68_427

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 10, 2016, 04:36:05 PM

No.  Plenty of colleges with out of state students.
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

College students make great targets.