Uncovered: 2008 BMW 3 Series coupes

Started by BMWDave, March 28, 2006, 06:08:38 PM

BMWDave

Uncovered: 2008 BMW 3 Series coupes
By Ed Hellwig Email

Date posted: 03-27-2006

The debut of the 2008 BMW 3 Series must be getting close as the notoriously secretive engineers at BMW have begun to let down their guard, driving barely camouflaged prototypes in various European locations. Our latest spy photos reveal three different variations: the 330Ci convertible, the 335Ci coupe and the high-powered M3.

The big news for the 2008 BMW 330Ci convertible is a new three-piece retractable hardtop. With new hardtop convertibles like the 2006 Volvo C70 and 2007 Volkswagen Eos entering the segment, the 330Ci's new setup should help keep it competitive. The convertible is expected to use the same pair of 3.0-liter engines currently found throughout the 3 Series, Z4 and X5 lineups. Delivering 215 hp or 255 hp depending on their level of tune, the two straight sixes should have more than enough power to satisfy most convertible buyers.

If you need more than a little wind in your hair to get excited about the 3 Series, the new 335Ci is the car to look for this summer. It will be the first application of the BMW's new twin-turbo, straight-six engine, a setup which delivers 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque from its 3.5 liters of displacement. Expect to see a retuned suspension, stronger brakes and bigger wheels and tires on the 335Ci as it's bound to be marketed as a high-performance alternative to the standard 3.0-liter models.

Unlike the 335Ci, the engine under the hood of the next-generation M3 is still under wraps. Most speculation points to a V8 in the 4.0-liter range with roughly 400 hp. Like the M5, this new M3 is expected to offer a seven-speed SMG transmission instead of a standard manual with a clutch. No word yet on whether this philosophy will be modified for the U.S. market after American M5 buyers demanded an optional six-speed manual.

As you can see from these photos, there's more to the M3 than just a big engine. Flared wheel arches, wider wheels and tires and trademark Motorsport quad exhaust pipes are all part of the package. Quarter panel vents, another Motorsport trademark, look as though they've been taped over on this prototype, but we expect to see them on the production model.

A debut date for these new coupes is hard to pin down. Their public debut may not come until the Paris auto show in September, but we expect BMW to release official photos and specs sometime within the next couple of months.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

Looks better than earlier pictures.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

I don't like the taillights on that rendering, but the basic shape looks nice.

JYODER240

I expect these to look good when finished.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

QuoteI expect these to look good when finished.
Not that good, afterall it'll have to look like a 3 series.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

In the past the 3er coupe has been very attractive IMO, I doubt this will look as good as the outgoing model but it will still be a good looking car.

BENZ BOY15

QuoteIn the past the 3er coupe has been very attractive IMO, I doubt this will look as good as the outgoing model but it will still be a good looking car.
But with the great PR image of the "green" company the Prius provides, I would bet that Toyota doesn't mind the loss.

Speed_Racer

I'm not so sure about the taillights. I see a bit of Audi and maybe a little Lexus IS as well.

JYODER240

QuoteIn the past the 3er coupe has been very attractive IMO, I doubt this will look as good as the outgoing model but it will still be a good looking car.
But with the great PR image of the "green" company the Prius provides, I would bet that Toyota doesn't mind the loss.
:wtf:  Thats a BMW.

TurboDan

Other than the Civic tailights, lookin' good to me.

omicron

It's ok, I suppose. The 1, 5 and 7 all grew on me after a while, but the 3 hasn't yet. Given time I might change my mind, but not for now.  

Raza

QuoteIt's ok, I suppose. The 1, 5 and 7 all grew on me after a while, but the 3 hasn't yet. Given time I might change my mind, but not for now.
It's diffusion rate, I think.  Older 5s and 7s are being phased off our roads, the 6 series hasn't been around in over 15 years, but you can't cross a street without getting hit by a 3 series.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

QuoteIt's ok, I suppose. The 1, 5 and 7 all grew on me after a while, but the 3 hasn't yet. Given time I might change my mind, but not for now.
It's diffusion rate, I think.  Older 5s and 7s are being phased off our roads, the 6 series hasn't been around in over 15 years, but you can't cross a street without getting hit by a 3 series.
Like assholes, they are.  

cawimmer430

Looks nice, but not as nice as the current one. That thing is for sure, a classic in the making, but this one will still have to grow on me overall. It's nice however, overall.

I wonder what magazines will say about the 335Ci. My take?

-They'll love the power and they wouldn't care if it was using forced induction. I wonder how the BMW fans on other forums reacted to the F/I engine...?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

QuoteI wonder how the BMW fans on other forums reacted to the F/I engine...?
:lol:

I love egging the C&Ders on about this. Personally I couldn't care less. I appreciate the I6, but I wouldn't care if they went to V6, I5, V4, whatever...as long as the engines themselves are smooth, relatively powerful, and they rev nice.  :praise:

Its also funny to see people upset over the upcoming M3 V8. By the sound of it, the new V8 will be more powerful, will rev just as high, and will actually be lighter than the old (iron block!) I6.

I wonder if these same people were upset when the 535i went from an I6 to a V8?

cawimmer430

QuoteI wonder how the BMW fans on other forums reacted to the F/I engine...?
:lol:

I love egging the C&Ders on about this. Personally I couldn't care less. I appreciate the I6, but I wouldn't care if they went to V6, I5, V4, whatever...as long as the engines themselves are smooth, relatively powerful, and they rev nice.  :praise:

Its also funny to see people upset over the upcoming M3 V8. By the sound of it, the new V8 will be more powerful, will rev just as high, and will actually be lighter than the old (iron block!) I6.

I wonder if these same people were upset when the 535i went from an I6 to a V8?
The really funny thing is when some of the "BMW fans" on C&D claim that:

"BMW has never used forced induction. Never".

1)

2)

And I'm a Benz fan... :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

It's not the first FI car that BMW has made.  I want one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

That looks sexy.

I wouldn't mind FI. But V6 or FWD would be too much.

Colonel Cadillac

I'v been around FI for a good portion of my life, it's fine with me. In some instances, it is far superior to its NA counterparts. For example, the Volvo is much more powerful than my sister's Acura (with only a marginally larger engine). Without the turbos, the Volvo would be horribly anemic and boring.