Attention Left Lane Campers!

Started by TBR, April 04, 2006, 09:11:40 PM

Champ

QuoteWhenever I'm in the left lane and come upon a person who is overtaking another vehicle but at a speed slower than my own, I slow down and follow at a proper distance, let them complete their pass, and then speed back up to my original speed when they are out of my way.  I expect the same respect from other drivers.  You don't show me that courtesy, and I'll take up a little more of your time than I otherwise would have.
Devils Advocate: Why not show the person behind you respect and speed up to get out of the way, just like you would expect the same respect from someone in front of you passing too slowly.

MX793

QuoteWhenever I'm in the left lane and come upon a person who is overtaking another vehicle but at a speed slower than my own, I slow down and follow at a proper distance, let them complete their pass, and then speed back up to my original speed when they are out of my way.  I expect the same respect from other drivers.  You don't show me that courtesy, and I'll take up a little more of your time than I otherwise would have.
Devils Advocate: Why not show the person behind you respect and speed up to get out of the way, just like you would expect the same respect from someone in front of you passing too slowly.
In case you didn't note it, I do speed up when I move into the left lane as a courtesy to other drivers.  However, there is only so fast that I am willing to go.  The highways are heavily patrolled in my area.  75 and under is usually a safe speed, but anything above that makes you a target and I'd rather not get a ticket.  If I'm doing 80 and somebody is still riding a foot off my bumper trying to bully me into going faster, I push back by dropping my speed some.  If you think your time is worth risking my safety, then I'm going to eat up a few more of your precious seconds than I would have if you'd hung back, given me my space and let me complete my pass in peace.  It's one thing if I pull alongside another car and then pace it or if I stay in the left lane once I finish passing despite the right lane now being open for me to move out of the way of faster traffic.  That kind of behavior might warrant a little friendly encouragement like a flash of the high beams, a honk of the horn or maybe even a little tailgating.  But I expect the courtesy of a little breathing room until it becomes apparent that I am either pacing the car next to me or not moving back right when the opportunity presents itself, as that is the courtesy I extend to others.

Further, I don't expect other drivers to speed up.  I understand that, like myself, everybody has a cut-off point as to how fast they are willing to go on the highway and I don't try to bully people into exceeding that.

Similarly, lets say you are on a narrow pedestrian bridge that isn't wide enough to allow you to overtake someone.  You are running and a person up ahead is crossing at a slower pace.  Do you shove them across the bridge so you don't have to slow down?  Do you threaten them to make them speed up?  No, that would be rude and disrespectful (and possibly assault).  You slow down, wait for them to get off the bridge and out of your way, and then you overtake them and continue your run.  Would it be nice if they sped up to match your speed?  Yes, but perhaps they are already crossing at the maximum speed they are comfortable with (or are even capable of).  If such is the case, you just have to be patient  Why are the rules any different out on the highway?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

QuoteThe highways are heavily patrolled in my area.  75 and under is usually a safe speed, but anything above that makes you a target and I'd rather not get a ticket.  If I'm doing 80 and somebody is still riding a foot off my bumper trying to bully me into going faster, I push back by dropping my speed some.  If you think your time is worth risking my safety, [...]
You mean, "if your time is worth me risking getting a ticket", right? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

thewizard16

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.  So many clueless buttheads on the road.  Like today - rain and fog.  An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .  Pisses me off big time!  If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!  :banghead:
I hate that!  In many states (NJ, SC, et al) there are laws that state that when it rains, lights must be on, but I bet it's rarely enforced.
We have a "If your wipers are on, your lights must be one" law, but it's not enforced, and a lot of people don't follow it.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.  So many clueless buttheads on the road.  Like today - rain and fog.  An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .  Pisses me off big time!  If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!  :banghead:
I hate that!  In many states (NJ, SC, et al) there are laws that state that when it rains, lights must be on, but I bet it's rarely enforced.
We have a "If your wipers are on, your lights must be one" law, but it's not enforced, and a lot of people don't follow it.
Fools, all of them.  I follow them home and bury them in their backyards.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Tom

Then there are people who turn their lights on always.

Raza

QuoteThen there are people who turn their lights on always.
I have DRLs that run at 80% brightness, I put the full on headlight mode on when I can no longer read the gauges easily.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

MX793

DRLs are better than nothing in the rain or fog, but since your tail lights aren't on with the DRLs, it can make it difficult to see a car that you're coming up on from behind.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteDRLs are better than nothing in the rain or fog, but since your tail lights aren't on with the DRLs, it can make it difficult to see a car that you're coming up on from behind.
Yes--in the rain or fog it's as important to be seen as it is to see, therefore I always turn my lights on even if it is still "bright".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the nameless one

QuoteDRLs are better than nothing in the rain or fog, but since your tail lights aren't on with the DRLs, it can make it difficult to see a car that you're coming up on from behind.
Yes--in the rain or fog it's as important to be seen as it is to see, therefore I always turn my lights on even if it is still "bright".
I always turn my lights on, regardless of time of day.
*Post consists of personal opinion only and does not constitute information released in an official capacity*

*   Heeyyyyyyyyyy did YOU know that you have NO First Amendment right to discuss ANYTHING even remotely related to your workplace? I didn't! I do now! Aint freedom grand? What is the point of a work-related internet forum if you can't legally DISCUSS anything work related? Maybe we can exchange baking recipes. What fun! *

* Don't look behind the curtain; don't dig too deep or ask too many questions; don't seek to expand your knowledge of how things REALLY work; "they" only want you to hear "their" official version of reality*

*"They " can be anyone. Take your pick. I know who MY "they" is. Who is yours?*

Raza

I always turn my lights on, regardless of time of day.
I have DRLs (80% brightness), so I do as well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

I wanna get my DRLs activated. Car comes stock with it off.

Raza

QuoteI wanna get my DRLs activated. Car comes stock with it off.
Is your switch a two position or a one position switch?  If it's two, your DRLs are the first position.  That's how my Mercedes was, I believe, but you do have to turn them off when you get of the car--maybe on yours it doesn't need to be.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

^that would be your parking lights, not DRLs.

Raza

Quote^that would be your parking lights, not DRLs.
I know, but I believe in the Germans they're meant to perform the same function.  In the E class, the parking lights were clicks on the left.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Is your switch a two position or a one position switch?  If it's two, your DRLs are the first position.  That's how my Mercedes was, I believe, but you do have to turn them off when you get of the car--maybe on yours it doesn't need to be.
Every vehicle I've ever driven has a 2 position headlight switch.  Position 1 is the parking lights and position 2 activates the headlights.  True DRLs only activate either the front headlights or a pair of front markers.  If any of the rear lights come on, then they aren't DRLs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Every vehicle I've ever driven has a 2 position headlight switch.  Position 1 is the parking lights and position 2 activates the headlights.  True DRLs only activate either the front headlights or a pair of front markers.  If any of the rear lights come on, then they aren't DRLs.
My car is 1 position.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

Mine has seperate buttons for head lights and parking lights.

footoflead

QuoteMine has seperate buttons for head lights and parking lights.
The chevy is full auto, you can still turn on headlights or even turn off daytime lights if you want but i'm so use to it i keep forgetting when i drive the mustang :ph34r:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's