Attention Left Lane Campers!

Started by TBR, April 04, 2006, 09:11:40 PM

TBR

I have a message to all left lane campers: if you are going to be a jackass and block up the fastlane while you go under the speed limit when the conditions are perfect then I'll be a jackass too and tailgate you!

I don't think there is any single group of people that annoys me so much as those 5 under self righteous drivers who think it is their job to slow everyone else down. I have discovered that the only way to get them to move over is to get right on their rear, which isn't too safe (much less safe than going 90+ in many 70s (as was my case this afternoon)).

SargeMonkey

The speedo on the truck is off by 5, so 30 = 35... I speed like a normal person on the highway.  ;)  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Run Away

The right lane is the new fast lane.

I think we should switch it quietly.

so cal cookie

I don't bother tailgating them.  They are so ignorant they usually don't even see you're there. :rolleyes:
I just sit back, and usually I'll get a space to pass them within a few minutes.  

I used to be the type of driver that hurried around and got real pissed at these people, but I've relaxed a bit, and just slow down with the guy.  A passing opportunity comes up reasonably quick too.  It saves be irritation, and gas as well. :thumbsup:  

omicron

QuoteThe right lane is the new fast lane.

I agree :praise: :lol:

so cal cookie

QuoteThe right lane is the new fast lane.

That's how I drive now. :rockon:

There will be 10 cars on a three lane freeway in front of me.  6 in the fast lane, 4 in the middle lane, and no one in the slow lane except me.  

saxonyron

I'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.  So many clueless buttheads on the road.  Like today - rain and fog.  An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .  Pisses me off big time!  If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!  :banghead:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

JYODER240

I tailgate them and when I get the chance to pass I do so with my mirror about 12" from theirs.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sparkplug

When my speedometer says 30 then I'm going 25. Stinks but it saves me on the tickets.  I try to drive repectable but if I'm on the highway and I'm making a left turn in a  quarter mile I don't want jepoardize it so I'll just stay in the left.

Run Away

QuoteI don't bother tailgating them.  They are so ignorant they usually don't even see you're there. :rolleyes:
I just sit back, and usually I'll get a space to pass them within a few minutes.  

I used to be the type of driver that hurried around and got real pissed at these people, but I've relaxed a bit, and just slow down with the guy.  A passing opportunity comes up reasonably quick too.  It saves be irritation, and gas as well. :thumbsup:
I'm the opposite of that, I've grown more pissed off lately.

Shitty thing is, in city traffic there really is no fast lane, people are all over the place, so I just ride their asses and scream myself hoarse.

Raza

After a while I started holding on the horn.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.  So many clueless buttheads on the road.  Like today - rain and fog.  An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .  Pisses me off big time!  If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!  :banghead:
I hate that!  In many states (NJ, SC, et al) there are laws that state that when it rains, lights must be on, but I bet it's rarely enforced.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrEddy

I hate tailgating a lot more than slowpokes in the fast lane. Just use a bit of patience. For those who aren't paying attention to the rest of the world or who are belligerent about going the speed limit, tailgating won't make any difference anyway. For the rest it wouldn't be necessary since they would move over when they see you. I don't think it solves anything other than endangering you, the guy in front and everyone else around you.

IrishGuy

I'll tailgate someone until they move over to the right lane on the NYS thruway [ yup, I'm a jackass ] if they are lane blocking and I need to pass. What amazes me however is that IF they do switch lanes to allow me to pass they just as soon move back into the passing lane. It's as of they don't realize the whole stay right, pass left.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

L. ed foote

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.
You are much more patient than I am.

I pass them on the right.  If they haven't seen me approaching, and they haven't seen me behind them, they're not paying attention, and I want to get as far away from them as possible.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Tom

Some things to do:

Tailgate
Stick you hand out the window and point right(but sometimes they don't look and it's not very aero dynamic to stick you hand out the window)
Honk
Pass on right(first choice, if available)

MrEddy

QuoteSome things to do:

Tailgate
Stick you hand out the window and point right(but sometimes they don't look and it's not very aero dynamic to stick you hand out the window)
Honk
I'm still getting used to the idea that passing on the right is a bad thing. It's no big deal in Melbourne. So I spent the first few months wondering why there was such a buildup of traffic behind a slow guy when the right lane was empty.  B)  

Tom

QuoteSome things to do:

Tailgate
Honk
I'm still getting used to the idea that passing on the right is a bad thing. It's no big deal in Melbourne. So I spent the first few months wondering why there was such a buildup of traffic behind a slow guy when the right lane was empty.  B)
I don't see it as a big deal either.  Just have to be careful someone doesn't merge into you.

MX793

I'm from the "stay right except to pass" camp, but if I'm in the left lane passing somebody and another driver starts tailgating me, I am very prone to slowing down to the speed limit (or maybe only 5 over as I usually run 10 over when in the left lane to help traffic flow) for the express purpose of pissing the other driver off.  You bully me, I cost you time.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Run Away

^ In my mind, that's just as bad as the people who drive slowly in the left lane.

so cal cookie

Quote^ In my mind, that's just as bad as the people who drive slowly in the left lane.
Ditto.
It will just piss off that person that much faster.

so cal cookie

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.  It helps nudge them out of the way.  If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.  So many clueless buttheads on the road.  Like today - rain and fog.  An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .  Pisses me off big time!  If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!  :banghead:
I hate that!  In many states (NJ, SC, et al) there are laws that state that when it rains, lights must be on, but I bet it's rarely enforced.

Even more amazing is the people who drive around with every window but the windshield fogged to the point of not being able to see. :blink:
I pass them as quickly as possible, and try to stay in front of them.

footoflead

QuoteI'm from the "stay right except to pass" camp, but if I'm in the left lane passing somebody and another driver starts tailgating me, I am very prone to slowing down to the speed limit (or maybe only 5 over as I usually run 10 over when in the left lane to help traffic flow) for the express purpose of pissing the other driver off.  You bully me, I cost you time.
I do the same..but it does suck balls when someone does it too you...

On several occasions i have seen someone weaving through traffic really crazy and if i happen to be in a bad mood i will find someone going about the speedlimit and wait for the guy to get up behind me and i will pace the guy next to me...if you want to take it a step further let the guy your pacing creep a little ahead so the guy quickly switches lanes to get around you and then speed up  :lol:  :devil:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteI'll use the German trick of hugging the left yellow line and running with the left blinker on.? It helps nudge them out of the way.? If they don't catch on after 10 seconds or so, I give up and wait it out.? So many clueless buttheads on the road.? Like today - rain and fog.? An amazing number of people driving with no lights on .? Pisses me off big time!? If I were a cop, I'd pull them over and charge them with driving to endanger or something!? :banghead:

Even more amazing is the people who drive around with every window but the windshield fogged to the point of not being able to see. :blink:
I pass them as quickly as possible, and try to stay in front of them.
I hear you on that.  I've seen people not clear snow off their rear, and sometimes side, windows.

hounddog

Just to give you an idea of what you guys are talking about here(at least in Michigan)

Not letting someone pass you (for any reason)- Fail to yeild to overtaking vehicle-
4 point $100+ moving violation

Tailgating- Following too close- 3 point $120+  moving violation

Pulling alonside another driver to not allow someone to pass- Reckless driving- 6 point $250+ moving violation- misdemeanor and arrestable offense.

I assume it is like that in most states.
Just remember, if you do it near Detroit you might get shot by the guy you just pis*ed off.  We in the police business call that street justice.  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

MX793

QuoteI'm from the "stay right except to pass" camp, but if I'm in the left lane passing somebody and another driver starts tailgating me, I am very prone to slowing down to the speed limit (or maybe only 5 over as I usually run 10 over when in the left lane to help traffic flow) for the express purpose of pissing the other driver off.  You bully me, I cost you time.

On several occasions i have seen someone weaving through traffic really crazy and if i happen to be in a bad mood i will find someone going about the speedlimit and wait for the guy to get up behind me and i will pace the guy next to me...if you want to take it a step further let the guy your pacing creep a little ahead so the guy quickly switches lanes to get around you and then speed up  :lol:  :devil:
Oh, I don't pace people to block speeders or otherwise hinder traffic.  I like to keep traffic flowing.  I usually set my cruise at roughly 72 mph and keep right to let faster drivers by.  When I come on a car that's going slower than that, I move left and speed up to 75 or maybe even 80 if traffic is really moving and I see no cops on the horizon.  Now, if some jerk comes up on my bumper and starts tailgating me at that point, I slow back down to my usual 72.  So I'm still moving past the car I was intending to pass, just not at as quickly as I would have been at 75+.  That is in no way impeding the flow of traffic.  Whenever I'm in the left lane and come upon a person who is overtaking another vehicle but at a speed slower than my own, I slow down and follow at a proper distance, let them complete their pass, and then speed back up to my original speed when they are out of my way.  I expect the same respect from other drivers.  You don't show me that courtesy, and I'll take up a little more of your time than I otherwise would have.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Highway vigilantism is really dumb.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

footoflead

QuoteI'm from the "stay right except to pass" camp, but if I'm in the left lane passing somebody and another driver starts tailgating me, I am very prone to slowing down to the speed limit (or maybe only 5 over as I usually run 10 over when in the left lane to help traffic flow) for the express purpose of pissing the other driver off.  You bully me, I cost you time.

Oh, I don't pace people to block speeders or otherwise hinder traffic.  I like to keep traffic flowing.  I usually set my cruise at roughly 72 mph and keep right to let faster drivers by.  When I come on a car that's going slower than that, I move left and speed up to 75 or maybe even 80 if traffic is really moving and I see no cops on the horizon.  Now, if some jerk comes up on my bumper and starts tailgating me at that point, I slow back down to my usual 72.  So I'm still moving past the car I was intending to pass, just not at as quickly as I would have been at 75+.  That is in no way impeding the flow of traffic.  Whenever I'm in the left lane and come upon a person who is overtaking another vehicle but at a speed slower than my own, I slow down and follow at a proper distance, let them complete their pass, and then speed back up to my original speed when they are out of my way.  I expect the same respect from other drivers.  You don't show me that courtesy, and I'll take up a little more of your time than I otherwise would have.
Do that in Houston traffic, and you will be traveling backwards not forwards ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Champ

QuoteOh, I don't pace people to block speeders or otherwise hinder traffic.  I like to keep traffic flowing.  I usually set my cruise at roughly 72 mph and keep right to let faster drivers by.  When I come on a car that's going slower than that, I move left and speed up to 75 or maybe even 80 if traffic is really moving and I see no cops on the horizon.  Now, if some jerk comes up on my bumper and starts tailgating me at that point, I slow back down to my usual 72.  So I'm still moving past the car I was intending to pass, just not at as quickly as I would have been at 75+.  That is in no way impeding the flow of traffic.  Whenever I'm in the left lane and come upon a person who is overtaking another vehicle but at a speed slower than my own, I slow down and follow at a proper distance, let them complete their pass, and then speed back up to my original speed when they are out of my way.  I expect the same respect from other drivers.  You don't show me that courtesy, and I'll take up a little more of your time than I otherwise would have.
This is in response to both of your posts.

What you are doing is a really really really bad idea.  Why?

Let's just use for example a 4 lane divided highway, 2 lanes each way.

You are cruising at 72, coming up to pass someone doing less than you.  You go to pass, speed up if there is a car behind you, then move back over when you are done.  If a person behind you is getting close enough to you in the time it takes you to pass, then you should either keep speeding up, or NOT PASS IN THE FIRST PLACE.  I assume you are a responsible driver and check your mirrors often enough, especially when you go to pass.  If a car is coming up on you fast enough that you would cause them to slow down while passing... DON'T MAKE THE PASS!  Or if you decide to, speed up to get out of their way ASAP.  Trying to prove a point is pointless.  ironic huh.

TBR

Just for the record, I very rarely tailgate. If someone is in the left lane trying to pass someone and they aren't comfortable going as fast as I am then I just slow down and wait for them to pass (if someone doesn't feel comfortable at 90+ mph speeds then I sure as hell don't want them to go that fast). Many times people just stay in the left lane after making their pass and that isn't a big deal either, I just pass them on the right. It is when two cars stay side by side for considerable time with no sign of either party being willing to create a gap that I start acting like a jackass.