Hummer H3 Road Test

Started by Fire It Up, May 21, 2005, 10:09:29 AM

Fire It Up

QuoteI think it looks better than the H3, but I still think it is pretty much pointless anyway, since 95% of owners will never even use its offroad capabilities. Also, why is GM even bothering with the I5 still? It is gutless compared to just as compact big displacement V6s.
But you're wrong about one thing: its good for more that just off roading. It has a good interior, CD, DVD, Navi (soon) and a Monsoon sound system. And it is well mannered on road.
Almost all of the suvs in this class have good interiors  as well as available navigation systems and up option stereos. What exactly does the H3 offer above a Pathfinder, 4runner, Montero, or Grand Cherokee besides a little extra offroad capability that few buyers will ever use?
No, I meant that if someone bought it and didn't go offroading, it wouldnt be a complete waste.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

QuoteI think it looks better than the H3, but I still think it is pretty much pointless anyway, since 95% of owners will never even use its offroad capabilities. Also, why is GM even bothering with the I5 still? It is gutless compared to just as compact big displacement V6s.
But you're wrong about one thing: its good for more that just off roading. It has a good interior, CD, DVD, Navi (soon) and a Monsoon sound system. And it is well mannered on road.
Almost all of the suvs in this class have good interiors  as well as available navigation systems and up option stereos. What exactly does the H3 offer above a Pathfinder, 4runner, Montero, or Grand Cherokee besides a little extra offroad capability that few buyers will ever use?
It doesn't have to be better than the mainstream SUVs, but it is actually competitive with them for a similar price, and comes with the Hummer image. It won't sell as well as the Pathfinder, 4Runner, or Grand Cherokee (the Montero only sells a few hundred units per month though), but I doubt GM wants to make Hummer into that mainstream of a brand.
Yes I know, I was just saying that the H3 doesn't have anything over its competitors besides its offroad capability.

ifcar

It doesn't have to be better than the mainstream SUVs, but it is actually competitive with them for a similar price, and comes with the Hummer image. It won't sell as well as the Pathfinder, 4Runner, or Grand Cherokee (the Montero only sells a few hundred units per month though), but I doubt GM wants to make Hummer into that mainstream of a brand.
Yes I know, I was just saying that the H3 doesn't have anything over its competitors besides its offroad capability.
Right, and my point was that it doesn't really have to.  

FlatBlackCaddy

I recall reading somewhere(help me out ifcar, if you know what i'm talking about), that the colorado/canyon where originally a daewoo design for the chinese(or some other asian) market. This is why it came out to be a smaller truck with a i-5, not capable of fitting the i-6 in there(probobly no market for a powerful thirsty i-6 in china *shrug). Anyway i recall reading that, if its true(i imagine it is) then that is why the new compact chev trucks turned out how they did. Also since this hummer is based off of those, it suffers the same situation(stuck with the i-5).

I can understand why they transplanted the compact pickups here, with little work to americanize them(big motors). But i'm surprised they didn't strive for more in the hummer, because image is everything in this market.

Of course GM had this problem somewhat solved in concept form(Turbo i-5, 300hp or something like that). However like most great concepts(talking about the motor), it was thrown out for something thats already laying around in the parts bin.

TBR

QuoteI recall reading somewhere(help me out ifcar, if you know what i'm talking about), that the colorado/canyon where originally a daewoo design for the chinese(or some other asian) market. This is why it came out to be a smaller truck with a i-5, not capable of fitting the i-6 in there(probobly no market for a powerful thirsty i-6 in china *shrug). Anyway i recall reading that, if its true(i imagine it is) then that is why the new compact chev trucks turned out how they did. Also since this hummer is based off of those, it suffers the same situation(stuck with the i-5).

I can understand why they transplanted the compact pickups here, with little work to americanize them(big motors). But i'm surprised they didn't strive for more in the hummer, because image is everything in this market.

Of course GM had this problem somewhat solved in concept form(Turbo i-5, 300hp or something like that). However like most great concepts(talking about the motor), it was thrown out for something thats already laying around in the parts bin.
I thought the turbo model was a go. But, anyway, the Colorado/Canyon are slightly revised versions of Isuzu's D-max.

ifcar

QuoteI recall reading somewhere(help me out ifcar, if you know what i'm talking about), that the colorado/canyon where originally a daewoo design for the chinese(or some other asian) market. This is why it came out to be a smaller truck with a i-5, not capable of fitting the i-6 in there(probobly no market for a powerful thirsty i-6 in china *shrug). Anyway i recall reading that, if its true(i imagine it is) then that is why the new compact chev trucks turned out how they did. Also since this hummer is based off of those, it suffers the same situation(stuck with the i-5).

I thought the turbo model was a go. But, anyway, the Colorado/Canyon are slightly revised versions of Isuzu's D-max.
That's right, they're from the D-Max. But from everything I've read, the Colorado/Canyon and H3 could accomodate a larger engine, they just don't.

TBR

That's right, they're from the D-Max. But from everything I've read, the Colorado/Canyon and H3 could accomodate a larger engine, they just don't.
The I6 probably would be too long however I am sure they can accomodate a V6, but GM really doesn't have a V6 that is adapted for truck duty besides the 4.3l which just really wouldn't provide any more power than the I5. Besides, by putting the 4.3l in the Canyon/Colorado GM would be admitting that the I6 and its derivatives were never a good idea to start with (and I personally think that is the case).  

FlatBlackCaddy

I've read that the colorado cannot support the I-6 from the trailblazer(the logical top engine choice, IMO).

What did you read that said it could, if you have a link that would be nice.

ifcar

QuoteI've read that the colorado cannot support the I-6 from the trailblazer(the logical top engine choice, IMO).

What did you read that said it could, if you have a link that would be nice.
I never said that it could accomodate the I6, but I remember hearing (don't recall where) that the 5.3-liter V8 would fit.  

SJ_GTI

Personally I think the engine is fine for this application. This is an offroad vehicle, not for drag racing.

Not that i would mind if they fit the I6, but I think a V8 (or V8 sized V6) would be overkill.

Sure this is an I5...but it is 3.5L of displacement. That should be okay for this class. Maybe GM should try and improve the engine a bit rather than putting something else in there. 220 HP isn't bad, but I am sure they could get ~250 HP and Torque is they revised the engine management. Do these engines have VVT? Actually, maybe stuffing in the new 3.9 from the G6 would be a good idea.

That being said, I am fairly certain I have read that a Turbo I5 is in the works for the second model year.

Raghavan

GM should put that turbo back in, get about 280hp to compete with the V8's. Otherwise, it seems pretty nice, but i'd get an Xterra over this.

Raza

Screw this car, the H2, and anyone who buys one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteScrew this car, the H2, and anyone who buys one.
why?

giant_mtb

why?
yeah...why?  <_<  

Raghavan

The H2-like image.

Fire It Up

why?
yeah...why?  <_<
Raza doesnt like SUV's...or at least those that are bought and not used off road.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

why?
yeah...why?  <_<
Raza doesnt like SUV's...or at least those that are bought and not used off road.
Well then he hates probably 90% of SUV owners!  :lol:  :lol:  

Raghavan

why?
yeah...why?  <_<
Well then he hates probably 90% of SUV owners!  :lol:  :lol:
:P