Hummer H3 Road Test

Started by Fire It Up, May 21, 2005, 10:09:29 AM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Fire It Up

"Hummer says it takes about 10.1 seconds to hit 60 mph in a manual-shift H3 and 10.3 in an automatic. "
Can you say slow?  :P  But other than that, this Hummer seems to be pretty impressive. It has good road manners (In a Hummer?), a roomy, quality material interior (In a Hummer?), but it still has awesome Hummer off road capability.

With 33-inch all-terrain rubber and crazy wheel articulation, the H3 is about as capable as they come among stock SUVs.

A 4-to-1 transfer case gives the 2006 Hummer H3 an excellent crawl ratio, allowing it to ease down rocky slopes without the benefit of hill descent control.

With its clean design and quality materials, the H3's cabin is one of the very best in the GM lineup. A navigation system will be available as an option midyear.

Maybe this is a good SUV after all.

Fire It Up

Thats not the article BTW, thats my summary.

giant_mtb

I like the long shifter!  :praise:  lol

It's a Hummer...that's all there is to really say about it...

TBR

I think it looks better than the H3, but I still think it is pretty much pointless anyway, since 95% of owners will never even use its offroad capabilities. Also, why is GM even bothering with the I5 still? It is gutless compared to just as compact big displacement V6s.

giant_mtb

QuoteI think it looks better than the H3, but I still think it is pretty much pointless anyway, since 95% of owners will never even use its offroad capabilities. Also, why is GM even bothering with the I5 still? It is gutless compared to just as compact big displacement V6s.
That's 100% true.  Most of the Hummers are kept clean and shiny and are laden with 24 inch chrome spinners and stuff...no one really uses them for off-road... <_<  

Fire It Up

QuoteI think it looks better than the H3, but I still think it is pretty much pointless anyway, since 95% of owners will never even use its offroad capabilities. Also, why is GM even bothering with the I5 still? It is gutless compared to just as compact big displacement V6s.
But you're wrong about one thing: its good for more that just off roading. It has a good interior, CD, DVD, Navi (soon) and a Monsoon sound system. And it is well mannered on road.

Fire It Up

I built an H3...
Exterior Color: Boulder Gray Metallic
Luxury Package: Leather-trimmed front and rear seats. 6-disc CD changer with AM/FM stereo. 7-speaker Monsoon sound system. Front and rear carpeted floor mats.
5-Speed Manual Transmission
$32,625
Whats in the 30K price range? Jeep GC and what else?

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
Luxury Package: Leather-trimmed front and rear seats. 6-disc CD changer with AM/FM stereo. 7-speaker Monsoon sound system. Front and rear carpeted floor mats.
$32,625
Any midsize SUV can end up in that price range, so I'd expect to see the H3 competing against vehicles as mainstream as the Explorer, TrailBlazer, 4Runner, and Pathfinder. People considering those vehicles may get drawn to the Hummer image instead of chosing a like-priced 4WD Camry or Taurus.

This would sell much better with a V8, or even the I6 from the TrailBlazer family. GM must have some logic for not making larger engines available on this or the Colorado, but I don't see it.  

Fire It Up

Finally...I was waiting for you to post in this thread so I could get some insight out of you, Ifcar.

ifcar

QuoteFinally...I was waiting for you to post in this thread so I could get some insight out of you, Ifcar.
My Internet had been down since 9AM.  :angry:  

Fire It Up

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625
Any midsize SUV can end up in that price range, so I'd expect to see the H3 competing against vehicles as mainstream as the Explorer, TrailBlazer, 4Runner, and Pathfinder. People considering those vehicles may get drawn to the Hummer image instead of chosing a like-priced 4WD Camry or Taurus.

This would sell much better with a V8, or even the I6 from the TrailBlazer family. GM must have some logic for not making larger engines available on this or the Colorado, but I don't see it.
From that selection, I think it best competes with the GC, 4runner, and Pathfinder, cause theyre good offroad. The others, bleh, it'll suck there.

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

From that selection, I think it best competes with the GC, 4runner, and Pathfinder, cause theyre good offroad. The others, bleh, it'll suck there.
Off-road ability isn't probably going to be the biggest concern from most buyers, it's the look.

Fire It Up

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

Off-road ability isn't probably going to be the biggest concern from most buyers, it's the look.
Well thats true, but what I meant is that the H3 is great for those looking for some off road ability. For instance, the H3 would be the perfect car for my friends dad. He currently has a last gen GC V8, and also has two CJ7's. He loves to go offroading, but still uses his GC as a daily driver and for road trips where they haul a bunch of stuff. The Hummer has the Hummerness for the off road, and the interior and goodies for a DD/road trip car.

Hmmm...I think this Hummer I like.

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

Well thats true, but what I meant is that the H3 is great for those looking for some off road ability. For instance, the H3 would be the perfect car for my friends dad. He currently has a last gen GC V8, and also has two CJ7's. He loves to go offroading, but still uses his GC as a daily driver and for road trips where they haul a bunch of stuff. The Hummer has the Hummerness for the off road, and the interior and goodies for a DD/road trip car.

If he could use the H3 as both a weekend off-roader and as a daily driver, why couldn't he do the same with his GC?

280Z Turbo

What the hell? What is that strange leather covered stalk in the middle of the consle? Could GM actually be puting a manual transmisson in a mainstream vehicle? Naw, must just be a weird automatic shifter.

giant_mtb

QuoteWhat the hell? What is that strange leather covered stalk in the middle of the consle? Could GM actually be puting a manual transmisson in a mainstream vehicle? Naw, must just be a weird automatic shifter.
:P  Nice one

ifcar

QuoteWhat the hell? What is that strange leather covered stalk in the middle of the consle? Could GM actually be puting a manual transmisson in a mainstream vehicle? Naw, must just be a weird automatic shifter.
Some people just can't bring themselves to compliment GM.  :lol:  

Fire It Up

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

If he could use the H3 as both a weekend off-roader and as a daily driver, why couldn't he do the same with his GC?
Its not as good? (Offroad(GC)) I think the Hummer would be much better...

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

How heavy-duty is his off-roading? A GC 4WD should be able to handle a lot of abuse off road.

Fire It Up

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

How heavy-duty is his off-roading? A GC 4WD should be able to handle a lot of abuse off road.
I'm not sure, but from knowing this guy, I think it'd be pretty heavy. I would think that the GC would be a bit behind...I mean look at that one pic of the H3 about wheel articulation...I dont think a GC can do that. But how would I know? We need someone who would...93JC, where are you when we need you?

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

I'm not sure, but from knowing this guy, I think it'd be pretty heavy. I would think that the GC would be a bit behind...I mean look at that one pic of the H3 about wheel articulation...I dont think a GC can do that. But how would I know? We need someone who would...93JC, where are you when we need you?
There's no doubt that the H3 can do more. But I'd suspect that the Grand Cherokee should still be fine for what he's doing, even it has surprising off-road capability (though not by hard-core 93JC standards).

BMWDave

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

There's no doubt that the H3 can do more. But I'd suspect that the Grand Cherokee should still be fine for what he's doing, even it has surprising off-road capability (though not by hard-core 93JC standards).
Is this a solid axle or is it a independent suspension?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

The Hummer def. has a solid rear, and I'm pretty sure its the same with the GC.

93JC

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

Hardcore standards? What hardcore standards? My standards for what is good offroad are not "hardcore". If a vehicle can't venture far offroad (dirt and gravel roads are not "offroad". Off-pavement, but not offroad), for whatever reason (be it low ground clearance, poor articulation, poor tires, etc.), then it's not very good offroad.

The new Grand Cherokee is not very good offroad. It is limited by a very low ground clearance, various design issues (the front airdam for example), IFS and tires that are no more suited to offroad travel than a sedan's. The H3 is undeniably better, stock-for-stock.

Fire It Up

ifcar

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

Hardcore standards? What hardcore standards? My standards for what is good offroad are not "hardcore". If a vehicle can't venture far offroad (dirt and gravel roads are not "offroad". Off-pavement, but not offroad), for whatever reason (be it low ground clearance, poor articulation, poor tires, etc.), then it's not very good offroad.

The new Grand Cherokee is not very good offroad. It is limited by a very low ground clearance, various design issues (the front airdam for example), IFS and tires that are no more suited to offroad travel than a sedan's. The H3 is undeniably better, stock-for-stock.
First of all, FIU and I were talking about the 99-04 gen Grand Cherokee, not the new one. Secondly, it entirely depends on how far off-road beyond the unpaved road you want to go. I'd find it hard to believe that this guy would need capabilities past what the GC offers. It's no H3, but it all depends how much he needs it to do.

Fire It Up

QuoteI built an H3...
$32,625

First of all, FIU and I were talking about the 99-04 gen Grand Cherokee, not the new one. Secondly, it entirely depends on how far off-road beyond the unpaved road you want to go. I'd find it hard to believe that this guy would need capabilities past what the GC offers. It's no H3, but it all depends how much he needs it to do.
I'll ask my friend.  

TBR

But you're wrong about one thing: its good for more that just off roading. It has a good interior, CD, DVD, Navi (soon) and a Monsoon sound system. And it is well mannered on road.
Almost all of the suvs in this class have good interiors  as well as available navigation systems and up option stereos. What exactly does the H3 offer above a Pathfinder, 4runner, Montero, or Grand Cherokee besides a little extra offroad capability that few buyers will ever use?

ifcar

Almost all of the suvs in this class have good interiors  as well as available navigation systems and up option stereos. What exactly does the H3 offer above a Pathfinder, 4runner, Montero, or Grand Cherokee besides a little extra offroad capability that few buyers will ever use?
It doesn't have to be better than the mainstream SUVs, but it is actually competitive with them for a similar price, and comes with the Hummer image. It won't sell as well as the Pathfinder, 4Runner, or Grand Cherokee (the Montero only sells a few hundred units per month though), but I doubt GM wants to make Hummer into that mainstream of a brand.