Nissan Xterra
13 (68.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Catman

Hummer H3  Base price $29,935

Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 186.7 in.    Width: 74.7 in.
Height: 73.7 in.    Wheel Base: 111.9 in.
Ground Clearance: 9.1 in.    Curb Weight: 4700 lbs.
Gross Weight: 5850 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 40.6 in.    Front Hip Room: 53.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 54.4 in.    Rear Head Room: 39.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 53.5 in.    Rear Hip Room: 53.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.9 in.    Rear Leg Room: 35 in.
Luggage Capacity: 29.5 cu. ft.    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 56 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5
Performance Data

Performance

Base Number of Cylinders: 5    Base Engine Size: 3.5 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 5    Horsepower: 220 hp
Max Horsepower: 5600 rpm    Torque: 225 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 2800 rpm    Maximum Payload: 1150 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 4500 lbs.    Drive Type: 4WD
Turning Circle: 37 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
Fuel Tank Capacity: 23 gal.    
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 16 mpg / 20 mpg Automatic: : 16 mpg / 19 mpg    
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 368 mi. / 437 mi. Manual: 368 mi. / 460 mi.

Nissan Xterra   Base price $25,750

Dimensions

Exterior
Length: 178.7 in.    Width: 72.8 in.
Height: 74.9 in.    Wheel Base: 106.3 in.
Ground Clearance: 9.5 in.    Curb Weight: 4375 lbs.
Gross Weight: 5400 lbs.

Interior
Front Head Room: 39.9 in.    Front Hip Room: 55.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 58.3 in.    Rear Head Room: 39.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 58.3 in.    Rear Hip Room: 46.1 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 in.    Rear Leg Room: 34.4 in.
Luggage Capacity: 35.2 cu. ft.    Maximum Cargo Capacity: 135 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5
Performance Data

Performance

Base Number of Cylinders: 6    Base Engine Size: 4 liters
Base Engine Type: V6    Horsepower: 265 hp
Max Horsepower: 5600 rpm    Torque: 284 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 4000 rpm    Maximum Payload: 1061 lbs.
Maximum Towing Capacity: 5000 lbs.    Drive Type: 4WD
Turning Circle: 37.3 ft.

Fuel Data

Fuel
Fuel Tank Capacity: 21.1 gal.    
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 17 mpg / 21 mpg    
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Manual: 358.7 mi. / 443.1 mi.

Catman

I know the pricing is a little more for the H3 but both trucks seem to be geared towards the same crowd.

93JC

Hummer for me, reluctantly.

The new Xterra seemed huge to me in picture, but in person it's quite well proportioned. I quite like it from the outside. But the interior is nasty, in picture and in person. pnwbeers over on the C&D forums would argue it with me 'til he's blue in the face, but I really despise the interior. It's cheap and poorly put together, just like its predecessor.

Hummer H3 isn't tangible to me yet. I'd like to have a closer look. It seems to have borrowed a lot from its Colorado and Canyon platform-mates, which is a blessing and a curse. The wee trucks are perfectly suited to "work", more than any other of the recently introduced "mid-size" trucks. To me the Frontier, Tacoma, Ridgline and Dakota are "play-things" more than tools, which is what a good truck should be in my opinion.

But, the Colorado/Canyon are very rough around the edges. Fit and finish is poor at best. Well, okay, I lied: fit's pretty good, but finish is crap. Not that big a deal in a work truck, but still unnerving. I could live with the interior. It's okay. But the cargo box is very cheaply made, which drives me up the wall. The welding is very poor, and the sheetmetal used to make it feels only marginally more substantial than a pop can.

In the end I don't really give a shit either way, but I voted H3.

Secret Chimp

The Xterra, no question. Lower weight, better power AND gas mileage, plus the styling wouldn't make me look like some kind of an image-buyer jackass. Also, if I wanted to go into the offroading scene, the Xterra has an expansive selection of suspension, drivetrain, and body clearance upgrade parts. I don't know if the H3 has a starter interlock deactivator like the Xterra does, but if not, that'd also be really useful for rock crawling.
From a regular-driving standpoint, the Xterra also seems to be roomier (how on earth does the H3 only have 56 cubic feet of cargo space when the Xterra has 135? No folding seats? Is the X's roof rack being included somehow?), have better visibility, and generally just seems like a car I'd feel better about owning for awhile.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

850CSi

Why the hell is the XTerra so ridiculously expensive???

I'd take a 4Runner over them both.

93JC

Xterra is rediculously expensive?

The H3 is $4,000 more...

Secret Chimp

QuoteWhy the hell is the XTerra so ridiculously expensive???

25k seems like a good buy to me. The "compact" SUVs (Escape, CR-V) go for the 19s-low 20s, you're getting an assload more for another 6-5k here.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Fire It Up

Actually, the Base (S) Xterra starts at 20,850. The price Catman posted is for the Off road 4X4 version.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Fire It Up

Well, I'm having a hard time deciding...

OK, I'll take the Xterra. Better engine, mileage, but bad interior. If I wanted a more comfy car I'd easily take the H3, but I can live without it. And the Xterra has more speakers for me to blast music.

Somehow...I still feel undecided.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

ifcar

Xterra. The H3 probably has some better on-road manners, but I was unimpressed with its seat comfort, the price is too high compared to the Xterra, and there isn't enough power. Not that it matters to this decision, I think the Xterra also looks far better.  

Catman

I suspect that the Xterra has better packaging.  It seems like the Hummer must sacrifice some cargo space to accomodate the styling, whereas the Xterra seems like it was styled more by function.  Also, the Xterra arguably has a much better powertrain.  And, as Secret Chimp so elequently put it, the Hummer has the jackass factor to contend with, LOL.  So, I'm going with the Xterra also.  I'll put the savings into a few nice mods, maybe some aftermarket leather, etc.

TBR

Definitely the Xterra. From pictures the H3 probably has a better interior, but the Xterra's was plenty good enough for me when I saw it in person. Since that is the only advantage the H3 has in my opinion, I voted for the Xterra.

ifcar

QuoteDefinitely the Xterra. From pictures the H3 probably has a better interior, but the Xterra's was plenty good enough for me when I saw it in person. Since that is the only advantage the H3 has in my opinion, I voted for the Xterra.
Judging by the Colorado, the H3 will probably have a more comfortable ride as well.  

TBR

QuoteDefinitely the Xterra. From pictures the H3 probably has a better interior, but the Xterra's was plenty good enough for me when I saw it in person. Since that is the only advantage the H3 has in my opinion, I voted for the Xterra.
Judging by the Colorado, the H3 will probably have a more comfortable ride as well.
I wouldn't put money on that. If they managed to get it to handle well and do well offroad the ride is probably pretty firm.

ifcar

I wouldn't put money on that. If they managed to get it to handle well and do well offroad the ride is probably pretty firm.
Firm beats stiff though.  

BMWDave

Xterra for me.  Probably more reliably, better engine, and above all, its a cheaper vehicle.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TurboDan

Great minds think alike - those were my thoughts exactly!  The XTerra was once priced in the teens, if I remember correctly.  Now it has turned into what the 4Runner used to cost.  Personally, I think I would just buy a 4Runner as well if I were in the market for that type of SUV.  The draw of the XTerra was that it was a fairly rugged SUV at an affordable price.  It wasn't a monster SUV, and it wasn't a "cute ute."  It was sized perfectly between the RAV4/CRV market and the Pathfinder/4Runner market.

Seems Nissan has lost site of why the XTerra was created in the first place.  If I wanted a midsize SUV, I'd buy a 4Runner for the same price as I could buy an XTerra.

ifcar

Great minds think alike - those were my thoughts exactly!  The XTerra was once priced in the teens, if I remember correctly.  Now it has turned into what the 4Runner used to cost.  Personally, I think I would just buy a 4Runner as well if I were in the market for that type of SUV.  The draw of the XTerra was that it was a fairly rugged SUV at an affordable price.  It wasn't a monster SUV, and it wasn't a "cute ute."  It was sized perfectly between the RAV4/CRV market and the Pathfinder/4Runner market.

Seems Nissan has lost site of why the XTerra was created in the first place.  If I wanted a midsize SUV, I'd buy a 4Runner for the same price as I could buy an XTerra.
The price listed here is for a high end version. You can still find inexpensive base models.  

850CSi

The price listed here is for a high end version. You can still find inexpensive base models.
Not in the teens...

BMWDave

The Xterra starts at 20,850 for the S model.  Thats pretty cheap, and a far cry from the 25K car listed.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I believe the $25k price is for the Off-Road version, which would compete directly with the H3. And I believe the reason for the base price being increased from the high teens to the lowe $20Ks was the discontinuation of the 4-cyl model.

BMWDave

QuoteI believe the $25k price is for the Off-Road version, which would compete directly with the H3. And I believe the reason for the base price being increased from the high teens to the lowe $20Ks was the discontinuation of the 4-cyl model.
The off road stickers at about 23K.  Its the SE version that costs 25K.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

The price I used was for comparable models.  

TBR

Not in the teens...
An previous gen Xterra priced in the teens had a 150 hp I4 (and weighed over 4000 lbs, can you say completely gutless?) and wasn't even available with power windows, locks, or cruise control. The current vehicle is a much better value than the previous Xterra V6.

pnwbeers

Quotepnwbeers over on the C&D forums would argue it with me 'til he's blue in the face, but I really despise the interior. It's cheap and poorly put together, just like its predecessor.
Can't argue with the "cheap" factor in terms of hard plastics, but on my '01 it is at least very well put together (panel gaps, squeaks, ergonomics, etc).  The '05s that I've been in have been put together okay, but I've read a few reports indicating that some do have build issues (maybe the early models?).  In any event, the previous gen and the '05s have nice enough interiors for me, I'm more concerned with the rest of the package.

I guess it's a foregone conclusion that I'd take the X - I think it's better in most every way.  That's not to say that I don't like the H3, however (I just think it's a bit overpriced and looks a bit silly, plus it still has torsion bars).

To those complaining about the Xterra's price, the rwd 4-cyl model was dropped - I don't think the V6 versions didn't actually go up all that much, so I think the '05s are a very good value.

BMWDave

Quotepnwbeers over on the C&D forums would argue it with me 'til he's blue in the face, but I really despise the interior. It's cheap and poorly put together, just like its predecessor.
Can't argue with the "cheap" factor in terms of hard plastics, but on my '01 it is at least very well put together (panel gaps, squeaks, ergonomics, etc).  The '05s that I've been in have been put together okay, but I've read a few reports indicating that some do have build issues (maybe the early models?).  In any event, the previous gen and the '05s have nice enough interiors for me, I'm more concerned with the rest of the package.

I guess it's a foregone conclusion that I'd take the X - I think it's better in most every way.  That's not to say that I don't like the H3, however (I just think it's a bit overpriced and looks a bit silly, plus it still has torsion bars).

To those complaining about the Xterra's price, the rwd 4-cyl model was dropped - I don't think the V6 versions didn't actually go up all that much, so I think the '05s are a very good value.
05s definitely have a great value, and even still, the new Xterra is as much a bargain as the old one was.

2007 Honda S2000

Run Away

Xterra, no contest. Way more power hauling a lighter load, you don't look like a jackass, and probably much more fun to drive.

Zcarnut

Not in the teens...
An previous gen Xterra priced in the teens had a 150 hp I4 (and weighed over 4000 lbs, can you say completely gutless?) and wasn't even available with power windows, locks, or cruise control. The current vehicle is a much better value than the previous Xterra V6.
I think Nissan offered a 4 banger Xterra with power windows/locks/cruise towards the end of the previous gen bodystyle.But they were 4x2 only as always.
The 4's were actually decent in takeoff so long as you werent towing anything (the 5 speed helped alot).The N/A VG series 6 was never a barn burner itself too!
But even back in 2000,a base 4 banger Xterra was 16-17k (with standard A/c and cd player), so I find a 05' "base" with a V6/6 speed around 20k a good deal in comparison. Hell,an 04' V/6 manual started around 20k....

I like the look of the H3 but the Colorado platform,gutless 5 banger,and high price makes the Xterra a much better value IMO.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

SJ_GTI

I am not a "truck guy" but it does sound like the Xterra is better functionally than the H3. More power, less weight, better mileage, comparable off-road qualities, etc...

The H3 does look alot better IMHO. Both come with manuals which is great to see in this class.

For me though I would more likely take an X3 2.5i over both.  <_<

:praise:  

BMWDave

QuoteI am not a "truck guy" but it does sound like the Xterra is better functionally than the H3. More power, less weight, better mileage, comparable off-road qualities, etc...

The H3 does look alot better IMHO. Both come with manuals which is great to see in this class.

For me though I would more likely take an X3 2.5i over both.  <_<

:praise:
I would do, but then it would be a tad more expensive, and the offroading abilities taht people in this class want would not be up to class.  If it was me, it would be a used Disco II, but hell, I already have a Disco II :lol:  :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000