New 9-5 Coming Into Focus

Started by BMWDave, May 22, 2005, 09:22:03 AM

BMWDave

Link with pictures

9-5 Coming Into Focus

Bigger lights, a new grille and bolder bumpers front and rear... all is becoming clear at Saab. These pictures might be fuzzy, but they give the best view yet of the facelifted 9-5.

The shots reveal the new-look nose, which is inspired by the 9X concept first shown at the German exhibition four years ago. The angular lines are far more aggressive than the current model's, but designers have not gone overboard with the revisions, in order to avoid alienating conservative buyers.

A spokesman explained: "If we make radical changes, loyal Saab fans tend to be up in arms. However, many are now on their second or third 9-5, and are ready for a subtle tweak here and there."

While petrol engines will remain unchanged, the two current diesel powerplants will be replaced by a single 150bhp version of the 1.9-litre oil-burner from the 9-3. The Swedish firm is also committed to eco-friendly Biomass variants, and intends to bring these to the UK just as soon as the green fuel becomes readily available here.

For the moment, diesel models make up the bulk of 9-5 sales, which are at an all-time high since the car's introduction in 1997. The facelifted version will go on sale in the UK in November.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Looks like a decent update, but by the time it comes out, the 9-5 will be a decade old. GM needs to think about a full redesign.

BMWDave

QuoteLooks like a decent update, but by the time it comes out, the 9-5 will be a decade old. GM needs to think about a full redesign.
A full redesign obviously cannot happen for a long time since they havent started development for a new 9-5.  This is yet another blunder on GM's part.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

I cant see the pics. :angry:

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteI cant see the pics. :angry:
Once you get to the link, click on the pic at the top right of the article.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Why did they get rid of the two little grills on each side of the main one? And the back looks almost exactly like the Jetta's whose back looks just like the Corolla's. Not a good thing. I love the current 9-5, but now GM has ruined it (not that that comes as much of a suprise).

BMWDave

QuoteWhy did they get rid of the two little grills on each side of the main one? And the back looks almost exactly like the Jetta's whose back looks just like the Corolla's. Not a good thing. I love the current 9-5, but now GM has ruined it (not that that comes as much of a suprise).
They didnt get rid of the grilles...and I dont see how the back looks like a VW Jetta.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteWhy did they get rid of the two little grills on each side of the main one? And the back looks almost exactly like the Jetta's whose back looks just like the Corolla's. Not a good thing. I love the current 9-5, but now GM has ruined it (not that that comes as much of a suprise).
They didnt get rid of the grilles...and I dont see how the back looks like a VW Jetta.
Seems pretty obvious to me. As far as the little grills go, maybe it is just the perspective and focus of the picture.  

TurboDan

I see the Jetta's rear lights in this car too.  If GM doesn't leave Saab alone to do its own thing, it's going to get killed.  The 9-3 SS is a GREAT car that has sold well, but when the rest of a lineup consists of a 10 year old model, a rebadged Subaru, and (of all brands to rebadge) a bulky Chevy truck, you can't sustain the brand.

Why can't they leave Saab along - like Ford does with Volvo?  Today, Volvo has some incredible cars, a top selling crossover, and more excitement behind the brand than ever before.  And they still contribute to the Ford family overall.

ifcar

QuoteI see the Jetta's rear lights in this car too.  If GM doesn't leave Saab alone to do its own thing, it's going to get killed.  The 9-3 SS is a GREAT car that has sold well, but when the rest of a lineup consists of a 10 year old model, a rebadged Subaru, and (of all brands to rebadge) a bulky Chevy truck, you can't sustain the brand.

Why can't they leave Saab along - like Ford does with Volvo?  Today, Volvo has some incredible cars, a top selling crossover, and more excitement behind the brand than ever before.  And they still contribute to the Ford family overall.
Ford doesn't really just "leave Volvo alone", the S40 uses the Ford C1 platform. However, Ford has shown far better choices in which platforms work best to save money not at the expense of what Volvos are.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the next S80 under Ford control, the S40 has been the only redesign that Ford had an influence on IIRC.

BMWDave

QuoteI see the Jetta's rear lights in this car too.  If GM doesn't leave Saab alone to do its own thing, it's going to get killed.  The 9-3 SS is a GREAT car that has sold well, but when the rest of a lineup consists of a 10 year old model, a rebadged Subaru, and (of all brands to rebadge) a bulky Chevy truck, you can't sustain the brand.

Why can't they leave Saab along - like Ford does with Volvo?  Today, Volvo has some incredible cars, a top selling crossover, and more excitement behind the brand than ever before.  And they still contribute to the Ford family overall.
Ford doesn't really just "leave Volvo alone", the S40 uses the Ford C1 platform. However, Ford has shown far better choices in which platforms work best to save money not at the expense of what Volvos are.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the next S80 under Ford control, the S40 has been the only redesign that Ford had an influence on IIRC.
He meant that Ford doesnt give Volvo and Explorer and tells them "here, rebadge this."

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI see the Jetta's rear lights in this car too.  If GM doesn't leave Saab alone to do its own thing, it's going to get killed.  The 9-3 SS is a GREAT car that has sold well, but when the rest of a lineup consists of a 10 year old model, a rebadged Subaru, and (of all brands to rebadge) a bulky Chevy truck, you can't sustain the brand.

Why can't they leave Saab along - like Ford does with Volvo?  Today, Volvo has some incredible cars, a top selling crossover, and more excitement behind the brand than ever before.  And they still contribute to the Ford family overall.

He meant that Ford doesnt give Volvo and Explorer and tells them "here, rebadge this."
Right, they gave them the Focus.  :lol:

My point is that we need to wait and see how well Ford handles the upcoming Volvo redesigns.  

BMWDave

QuoteI see the Jetta's rear lights in this car too.? If GM doesn't leave Saab alone to do its own thing, it's going to get killed.? The 9-3 SS is a GREAT car that has sold well, but when the rest of a lineup consists of a 10 year old model, a rebadged Subaru, and (of all brands to rebadge) a bulky Chevy truck, you can't sustain the brand.

Why can't they leave Saab along - like Ford does with Volvo?? Today, Volvo has some incredible cars, a top selling crossover, and more excitement behind the brand than ever before.? And they still contribute to the Ford family overall.

My point is that we need to wait and see how well Ford handles the upcoming Volvo redesigns.
There is no car in the Volvo lineup that even closely resembles a Focus in appearance.

2007 Honda S2000

TurboDan

I don't even mind platform sharing.  Like I said, the 9-3 SS which uses Epsilon is a GREAT Saab.  The C1 S40 is a GREAT Volvo.

But, (almost literally) simply slapping a Saab logo on a Subaru is a bad move any way you look at it.

ifcar

There is no car in the Volvo lineup that even closely resembles a Focus in appearance.
Put a 9-7X next to a TrailBlazer, and I don't think anyone would say that Saab has a vehicle that resembles the TrailBlazer either.

It's not what the 9-7X looks like that's bad, it's what's underneath. Put that same body on the SRX platform with its powertrain options, and I certainly wouldn't be complaining.

ifcar

Put a 9-7X next to a TrailBlazer, and I don't think anyone would say that Saab has a vehicle that resembles the TrailBlazer either.

It's not what the 9-7X looks like that's bad, it's what's underneath. Put that same body on the SRX platform with its powertrain options, and I certainly wouldn't be complaining.

BMWDave

Lets start with interiors:

Now the exteriors:

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Inside, I see the steering wheel and gauges are shared. Outside, they share a bulge over the rear fender. But the dash designs are unique, and the front end and windowline are as well.

BMWDave

QuoteInside, I see the steering wheel and gauges are shared. Outside, they share a bulge over the rear fender. But the dash designs are unique, and the front end and windowline are as well.
The whole side is the same, and they have the same orange turn indicators in the same mirrors.  The only think unique about its exerterior is the front and the wheels.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteInside, I see the steering wheel and gauges are shared. Outside, they share a bulge over the rear fender. But the dash designs are unique, and the front end and windowline are as well.
The whole side is the same, and they have the same orange turn indicators in the same mirrors.  The only think unique about its exerterior is the front and the wheels.
And the entire windowline, much of the rear, and most of the interior.

BMWDave

The windowline is exactly the same.  IF you call retouching the dash and putting two tone leather as signifacantly differentiating them...then I dont know, maybe you like badge engineering.

2007 Honda S2000

280Z Turbo

The windowline is exactly the same.  IF you call retouching the dash and putting two tone leather as signifacantly differentiating them...then I dont know, maybe you like badge engineering.
The Saab also sits at a different stance and has rounded wheel wells. It looks sportier.

BMWDave

The Saab also sits at a different stance and has rounded wheel wells. It looks sportier.
Making a car look sportier in now differentiates an otherwise almost identical exterior.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Look at the back of the vehicles, the third window is entirely different between the two. The 9-7X has its thick, body-color pillar between the second and third windows, while Envoy has its between the third window and rear windshield:

And aside from the gauges and steering wheel, there is nothing shared between the two vehicles on the dash.

I'm no fan of the 9-7X, but give credit where credit is due: it was not a straight rebadge.

BMWDave

Look at the back of the vehicles, the third window is entirely different between the two. The 9-7X has its thick, body-color pillar between the second and third windows, while Envoy has its between the third window and rear windshield:

And aside from the gauges and steering wheel, there is nothing shared between the two vehicles on the dash.

I'm no fan of the 9-7X, but give credit where credit is due: it was not a straight rebadge.
I never said it was a straight rebadge a la Saaburu 9-2x, but you have to admit they are way too similar to market as different models.  Making the back pillar a different color in now way differentiates the two vehicles.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I never said it was a straight rebadge a la Saaburu 9-2x, but you have to admit they are way too similar to market as different models.  Making the back pillar a different color in now way differentiates the two vehicles.
You said that the windowline is identical, while the third window is clearly a different shape.

BMWDave

The only think different about it is a little curve up in the back of the envoy.  Other than that, they are identical.  And to parry the belief that they are different windows because of a little curve in the back is insane.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteThe only think different about it is a little curve up in the back of the envoy.  Other than that, they are identical.  And to parry the belief that they are different windows because of a little curve in the back is insane.
The Envoy's is curved at the bottom, straight up and down, and straight at the top. The 9-7x's is straight at the bottom, curved up and down, and curved at the top. They are clearly different windows, and the vehicles do not share their pillars either (there's more change there than just the paint).