Driving light for 4x4 G-class

Started by Submariner, April 29, 2006, 03:57:25 PM

Submariner

A customer of mine owns a 2002 G-500 and is looking for some lights for his factory grill guard.  I did some research for him, and found these Hella Rallye 4000 Xenon and Halogen lamps.  He would prefer the xenon ones, but I'm not sure if they are road legal or not.  

Do you guys know anything about this?  

Rallye lights
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I'd love to help, but laws like that are local.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

QuoteI'd love to help, but laws like that are local.
No one at my dealer seems to know.  I know a couple of cops in my town, cool guys, maybe they can help.  

Raza

QuoteI'd love to help, but laws like that are local.
No one at my dealer seems to know.  I know a couple of cops in my town, cool guys, maybe they can help.
Might be the way to go.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Why would xenon's be illegal?  I mean, don't they come stock on some cars?  

Raghavan

QuoteWhy would xenon's be illegal?  I mean, don't they come stock on some cars?
Well, if they're too bright or blinding, they could be illegal.

280Z Turbo

QuoteWhy would xenon's be illegal?  I mean, don't they come stock on some cars?
The ones installed on factory cars usually are self leveling to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

Raza

QuoteWhy would xenon's be illegal?  I mean, don't they come stock on some cars?
The ones installed on factory cars usually are self leveling to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.
Bingo.

You get that problem alot with aftermarket foglights--sometimes instead of pointing down and away, they end up straight in your eyes.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Weird. In Europe, Xenons are highly prized and if they don't come stock on a car, they're at least an expensive option.

In the US it seems, people aren't too convinced about Xenon lights. I find them very useful when driving on totally dark unlit country roads at night - or even in the city. You see so much more, seriously.  ;)  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

QuoteWhy would xenon's be illegal?  I mean, don't they come stock on some cars?
The aftermarket ones sometimes only can be used for off-road driving.  I just hope these are road legal.  

MaxPower

I had a pair of hellas on my old truck and they turned night into day.  i can't imagine how bright xenons would be!

If Hella doesn't have "not for street use" on the website then they're probably legal somewhere.  I would check your local laws (you can probably find them on the 'net or, at least you could find your state's statutes)

Pancor

Who cares if they are road legal anyway?  If someone is coming towards you, TURN YOUR DAMNED AUXILIARIES OFF, especially if its a cop!