Vibrations in my MR2

Started by Speed_Racer, May 09, 2006, 08:45:54 AM

Speed_Racer

Here's what's happening:
- I'm running 14" snow tires at the moment until I can find a place that will mount new rubber on my summer rims (larger, and different than the wheels my snow tires are mounted on). I am getting vibrations in the steering wheel between about 50mph and 65mph (estimated...my speedometer isn't working at the moment). Above and below that range and there are no vibrations. The vibrations move the wheel from side to side for the most part.

Here's what I think:
I am going to let the problem go until I get my summer wheels and tires mounted/balanced on the car.
- If the vibrations go away...problem solved.
- If the vibrations remain...what do you guys think the problem is? Alignment?
- If the vibrations get worse, I'll have to look into the problem further.

Basically, do you think this is wheel/tire related, alignment related, or related to the suspension or some other component?

Thanks for your help!

MX793

Sounds like a tire out of balance.  Alignment issues are generally accompanied by the car pulling to one side.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Yeah, I agree. But it could be something else... How long before you get the summer tires mounted?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Speed_Racer

I'll have to see if the vibes go away when the rims and tires are mounted.

That'll happen when I have time to make some phone calls, and when I can find a tire place that will actually do it. The goal is to have it done by the end of the week (Fri).

Rupert

Yeah, just wait until then...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

saxonyron

If it's gonna be too long before you swap the tires, you need to get the wheels balanced now.  My guess is 90% sure it's the balance, and very cheap to fix.  At that speed range, you'll be shaking quite a bit.  Imagine what that's doing to your ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.  A $40 balancing can avoid a $400 +++ front end project.  Don't wait to find out.

EDIT - just noticed you'll be getting this done by the end of the week.  In that case, I guess you should just tough it out. Think of how well mixed your coffee will be - no sugar sinking to the bottom.  Now there's a positive side effect!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Speed_Racer

Coffee? Yuck...  :P Besides, I don't have any cupholders.

Plus, I only hit 55mph about once daily, and only for about 2 minutes. Hurray for short commutes!

Run Away

QuoteCoffee? Yuck...  :P Besides, I don't have any cupholders.

Plus, I only hit 55mph about once daily, and only for about 2 minutes. Hurray for short commutes!
I obey the speed limit twice a day - once on the way up, and once on the way down. :rockon:  

saxonyron

QuoteCoffee? Yuck...  :P Besides, I don't have any cupholders.

I obey the speed limit twice a day - once on the way up, and once on the way down. :rockon:
:lol:  :lol:

Uhhh, Speedracer, exactly how do you function without coffee?  Are you sure you're not a menace on the road?  :P  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

Some of us aren't drug addicts, sax.

Raghavan

QuoteCoffee? Yuck...  :P Besides, I don't have any cupholders.

Uhhh, Speedracer, exactly how do you function without coffee?  Are you sure you're not a menace on the road?  :P
It's called h@x, ron. ;)

saxonyron

QuoteSome of us aren't drug addicts, sax.
Caffeine is definitely my drug of choice.  B)  But I only drink the organic fresh ground stuff. Once you go there, you can't go back!  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

280Z Turbo

QuoteCoffee? Yuck...? :P Besides, I don't have any cupholders.

I can't stand all of you addicted coffee whores! Your gross coffee mugs, stinky breath, and stained teeth make me sick! :P  :lol:  

saxonyron

QuoteI can't stand all of you addicted coffee whores! Your gross coffee mugs, stinky breath, and stained teeth make me sick! :P  :lol:
My house could literally be falling in on me, and the first thing I will do in the AM is make a pot of coffee.  That happy grinding sound followed by the cheerful gurgling noise pushes all my endorphin buttons.  Being in that happy blissful state allows me not to be bothered by my stinky breath and stained teeth!  And I wash my mug every day.  Not to do so would be quite a faux pas. :lol:    

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Speed_Racer

I absolutely love the smell of coffee. I used to work at a small deli mixing up fancy coffee drinks, and the nasal experience was incredible.

However, you can not get me to drink the stuff. I'm not a fan of caffeine, plus coffee gives you everything 280Z mentioned...not cool.

saxonyron

QuoteI absolutely love the smell of coffee. I used to work at a small deli mixing up fancy coffee drinks, and the nasal experience was incredible.

However, you can not get me to drink the stuff. I'm not a fan of caffeine, plus coffee gives you everything 280Z mentioned...not cool.
My teeth are as white as anyone else's, and no one complains about my heavenly breath...and believe me, my wife and kids are brutally honest with me.   Come over to the dark side, SpeedRacer!  You have nothing to lose, and many extra hours of alert enjoyment every day to gain!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

omicron

I LOVE COFFEE WHERE IS COFFEE GIVE ME COFFEE

Rupert

Ah, well, what's a little addiction? I think I'll go make some coffee now...

Raza

Caffeine is definitely my drug of choice.  B)  But I only drink the organic fresh ground stuff. Once you go there, you can't go back!
Caffeine is good, but try mixing it with cocaine and alcohol.  Shit gets wild.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Shit man, you really don't need caffeine with yer coke...

Fire It Up

Caffeine is good, but try mixing it with cocaine and alcohol.  Shit gets wild.
:lol:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Speed_Racer

Update: I finally put the summer treads on my MR2. The vibrations seem to have gone away. I'll have to run it at highway speeds to find out for sure.

I forgot how good the car handles when it has appropriate tires. :D  

Raza

QuoteUpdate: I finally put the summer treads on my MR2. The vibrations seem to have gone away. I'll have to run it at highway speeds to find out for sure.

I forgot how good the car handles when it has appropriate tires. :D
I, I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air

Im pickin up good vibrations
Shes giving me excitations
(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop excitations)
Good good good good vibrations
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)

Close my eyes
Shes somehow closer now
Softly smile, I know she must be kind
When I look in her eyes
She goes with me to a blossom world

(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)

(ahhhhhhh)
(ah my my what elation)
I dont know where but she sends me there
(ah my my what a sensation)
(ah my my what elations)
(ah my my what)

Gotta keep those lovin good vibrations
A happenin with her
A happenin with her
A happenin

Ahhhhhhhh
(oom bop bop)
(Im pickin up good vibrations)
(oom bop bop)
(excitations)
(oom bop bop)
Shes na na...

Na na na na na
Na na na
Na na na na na
Na na na
Do do do do do
Do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Double Post.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Awesome Adelaide-Melbourne driving song :rockon:

Laconian

QuoteI absolutely love the smell of coffee. I used to work at a small deli mixing up fancy coffee drinks, and the nasal experience was incredible.

My teeth are as white as anyone else's, and no one complains about my heavenly breath...and believe me, my wife and kids are brutally honest with me.   Come over to the dark side, SpeedRacer!  You have nothing to lose, and many extra hours of alert enjoyment every day to gain!
I enjoy drinking coffee as well, but I am way too self conscious of my breath after I've had a cup. I remember in elementary school I wondered how the hell my sixth grade teacher got breath as bad as she had. We called her "Death Breath". Now I know, and I feel shame for deserving the same title.

Mints work OK for me, but never cover it up completely.

This seems to work well, though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001M0ZF...lance&n=3370831 . It's sugar free but made with sugar alcohols, so it tastes like sugar AND you can tell your coworkers you are boozin' it up on a sugar substitute!

(But it also takes care of your teeth too... bacteria try to use it as an energy source but it's completely non-nutritive, so the bacteria just sort of die of starvation.)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FlatBlackCaddy

well sorry to go back on topic(if the original poster even cares anymore).

But here is my .02

Problem/symptom

Tire out of balance/ normally a vibration at certain speeds, higher speed
Tire Out of round/ you'll always feel this, feels like a pulse in the steering
alignment/as mx stated it will pull in one direction
bad tie rod/vibration normally at high speed, vague steering feel
bad ball joint/similar to above, normally just replace both