Interiors: base versions of family sedans

Started by ifcar, May 22, 2005, 06:44:19 PM

ifcar

Posted this on C/D with a reasonably-enthusiastic response, so I'll put it here as well:

While most manufacturers try to hide the base versions of all their cars, family sedans tend to have the biggest difference between their base and top-of-the-line interiors, as the $20K-$30K price bracket can be considered the transition point between mainstream and luxury, and most midsize and large sedans cover both areas.

Because the prices of these vehicles range from something like $14k for the Sonata/Optima and Verona up to $22K for some of the others, it really isn't fair to do a poll, but you can get an idea of what everyone's base family sedan looks like, and back-to-back. Here are the vehicles:

Buick LaCrosse CX:

Chevrolet Impala Base:

Chevrolet Malibu Base:

Chrysler 300 Base:

Chrysler Sebring LX:

Dodge Stratus SXT:

Ford Five Hundred SE:

Ford Taurus SE:

Honda Accord DX:

Hyundai Sonata GL (2005):

Hyundai XG350 Base:

Kia Amanti w/cloth seats:

Kia Optima LX:

Mazda6 i:

Mitsubishi Galant DE:

Nissan Altima 2.5S:

Pontiac G6 Base:

Pontiac Grand Prix Base:

Subaru Legacy 2.5i:

Suzuki Verona S:

Toyota Camry Standard:

Volkswagen Passat GL:

BMWDave

Most of the interiors are OK, but the Impala is a horror.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

The Buick is BY FAR the best. I hadn't realized the base version is so well done as well.

Honorary Mentions:
Ford 500 (I am very impressed with this one)
Mazda 6
Subaru Legacy
VW Passat

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteThe Buick is BY FAR the best. I hadn't realized the base version is so well done as well.

Honorary Mentions:
Ford 500 (I am very impressed with this one)
Mazda 6
Subaru Legacy
VW Passat
LOL

Run Away

Legacy and Mazda 6 look the nicest to me.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd have to say the Mazda is pretty sharp, even in base form.

The legacy looks good too.

TurboDan

The Mazda6 is the best, by far.  The GM interiors are hideous in every sense of the word.  

Do you think the old 300 should be in this thread, though?  

ifcar

QuoteThe Mazda6 is the best, by far.  The GM interiors are hideous in every sense of the word.  

Do you think the old 300 should be in this thread, though?
What old 300? That's the 2005 300 Base, the version equipped with the 2.7-liter V6.

TBR

It looks like the cameraman was drunk when he took a few of those, but my personal favorite is the Altima closely followed by the Lacrosse and then the 6 and Legacy.

ifcar

QuoteIt looks like the cameraman was drunk when he took a few of those, but my personal favorite is the Altima closely followed by the Lacrosse and then the 6 and Legacy.
These are all owner/dealer-posted images from AutoTrader.com, and most pics are even worse.  

mazda6er

Yeah, the picture of the Accord makes it look like crap, but it remains my fav mainstream interior. I also like the Altima, Legacy, and (of course) my car, the Mazda6. The Mazda doesn't really look much different in the higher trimlines, however it does look MUCH better in black. (like mine)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Laconian

Hey, the Grand Prix isn't bad at all!

My vote goes with the Legacy for its subtleness and restraint. The 6 just has too much aluminum-look trim in it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

QuoteYeah, the picture of the Accord makes it look like crap, but it remains my fav mainstream interior. I also like the Altima, Legacy, and (of course) my car, the Mazda6. The Mazda doesn't really look much different in the higher trimlines, however it does look MUCH better in black. (like mine)
Have you ever posted pics of your car?  

giant_mtb

I like that one...I seem to like dark interiors.  Except on luxury cars like BMW's, Lincoln's, etc.

BMWDave

I like that one...I seem to like dark interiors.  Except on luxury cars like BMW's, Lincoln's, etc.
I was in one and I was very impressed with everything about it....it felt like I was in a much more expensive car.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteIt looks like the cameraman was drunk when he took a few of those, but my personal favorite is the Altima closely followed by the Lacrosse and then the 6 and Legacy.
These are all owner/dealer-posted images from AutoTrader.com, and most pics are even worse.
In that case they really aren't that bad. Though I still don't understand why it is so hard for some people to hold a camera level.  

giant_mtb

What's with the ugly steering wheel?  :P  <_<  

ifcar

In that case they really aren't that bad. Though I still don't understand why it is so hard for some people to hold a camera level.
If a dealer is taking a series of pics of all the cars on his lot, there isn't going to be much time spent on each pic.  

Fire It Up

The 6 looks much better in black, and the Accord looks much better in tan/brown. But I think the 6 is still the best, followed by the Subie.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

QuoteThe 6 looks much better in black, and the Accord looks much better in tan/brown. But I think the 6 is still the best, followed by the Subie.
Yeah...the 6 and the Subie have the best interiors of those choices...no doubt. ^_^

mazda6er

QuoteYeah, the picture of the Accord makes it look like crap, but it remains my fav mainstream interior. I also like the Altima, Legacy, and (of course) my car, the Mazda6. The Mazda doesn't really look much different in the higher trimlines, however it does look MUCH better in black. (like mine)
No, I haven't. There's not much exciting about it, since everything is stock. I can't anyway, I don't have a digital camera, and even if I took pics with a regular camera, my scanner has died.  :(  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

No, I haven't. There's not much exciting about it, since everything is stock. I can't anyway, I don't have a digital camera, and even if I took pics with a regular camera, my scanner has died.  :(
Hey man, dont knock your car.  The 6 is a great car, and if you ever get pictures, we'd love to see them.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Hey man, dont knock your car.  The 6 is a great car, and if you ever get pictures, we'd love to see them.
Exactly. It's a better car than most people have, and one that's fun to drive to boot.  

mazda6er

Exactly. It's a better car than most people have, and one that's fun to drive to boot.
Well, thanks guys. I wasn't saying that I don't like my car, I love it. It's just that its nothing you all haven't seen before anyway. But if I ever get the opportunity to post pics I will.  :)  
--Mark

Raghavan

BMWDave

QuoteImpala. :blink:  :o
Probably the worst interior of all of them.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteImpala. :blink:  :o
That steering wheel looks like it's melted. :P  

ifcar

Probably?

What do you think comes close?

Raghavan

Probably?

Mitsu galant's steering wheel is a close second to the impala in ugliness....

BMWDave

QuoteImpala. :blink:? :o
Probably?

lol...its a figure of speech...I didnt want to bash it entirely.

2007 Honda S2000