Started by TurboDan, May 23, 2005, 02:07:13 PM

TurboDan

Toyota to tout Lexus luxury brand in Japan

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/lexus20e_20050520.htm

High-end customers now look to Europe

May 20, 2005

BY YURI KAGEYAMA
ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it will open 150 dealerships in Japan to promote the luxury Lexus brand, which is successful in the United States but is still largely unknown to most high-end car buyers in Japan.

Toyota is eager to strengthen its image by promoting Lexus in Japan, where most luxury car buyers still prefer European brands such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

Takeshi Yoshida, overseeing Lexus development, said the brand will differentiate itself from European rivals that boast a historical legacy by appealing to younger buyers who aren't afraid to assert their Japanese identities and sensibilities.

"The Lexus hopes to grow into a younger premium brand for Japanese of the 21st Century with new values," he said.

The world's second-largest automaker invited reporters Thursday to a Tokyo Lexus dealer, set to open Aug. 30, a shimmering white showroom of glass walls and leather couches that Toyota said will showcase the best in customer service.

Among the perks buyers can expect is a 24-hour help-line phone service, reached with a touch of a button on the dashboard, which will provide tow trucks in accidents and even make restaurant reservations like a concierge.

Owners will also get Net-linking services, such as having a message sent to a mobile phone if someone breaks into a Lexus.

Toyota won't say how many cars it's targeting to sell through Lexus dealerships or how much it's investing in the effort.

Kyoji Sasazu, senior managing director, says Toyota has learned a lot from its Lexus success in the United States such as financing and insurance policies, as well as how dealers should treat customers.

And the best of what they learn in Japan might be brought back to America, he said. "Japanese are even more picky about service," Sasazu said.

The automaker has been recording booming profits in recent years, gaining market share in the United States and Japan.

But it appears serious about making its brand mean more than the basic Corolla in Japan.

It has set up a facility to train dealers so visitors will get service comparable to top hotels and luxury-brand shops, officials say.

BMWDave

This isnt a good idea...you have tons of Toyotas that are in Japan that are exactly Lexuses but with a different name.  So this would compete with them.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

QuoteThis isnt a good idea...you have tons of Toyotas that are in Japan that are exactly Lexuses but with a different name.  So this would compete with them.
I would assume that they'd introduce different vehicles to the Lexus brand, and perhaps move some completely. The Toyota brand there does span from the econoboxes to the $100K Crown, and I believe they were already using some sub-brands there.

I'm sure Lexus will do well there, but they have to worry more about competing with BMW and Mercedes than they do with Toyota.  

Lorinser

Even if Lexus is introduced in Japan, there are still some Toyota models(Mark X, Crown, Century) that might steal sales from Lexus.

BMWDave

QuoteEven if Lexus is introduced in Japan, there are still some Toyota models(Mark X, Crown, Century) that might steal sales from Lexus.
Pretty much what I was saying.  They cant just ignore that fact.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteEven if Lexus is introduced in Japan, there are still some Toyota models(Mark X, Crown, Century) that might steal sales from Lexus.
axe all the high model Toyotas and rebadge them as lexi.

BMWDave

Do you have a reason to rebadge them as Lexi?  Pretty illogical name, if you ask me.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

To a certain extent I agree, there is really no reason for this if the Toyota brand already has enough prestige there to sell $100,000 cars. What exactly is gained by this move?  

BMWDave

QuoteTo a certain extent I agree, there is really no reason for this if the Toyota brand already has enough prestige there to sell $100,000 cars. What exactly is gained by this move?
Absolutely nothing.  That is why I dont think they should be selling Lexus cars in Japan.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Apparently, the higher-end customers still favor imported luxury cars over $100k Toyotas, so this would give them a more-upscale brand to look at.  

BMWDave

QuoteApparently, the higher-end customers still favor imported luxury cars over $100k Toyotas, so this would give them a more-upscale brand to look at.
But they favor imported American cars....they are not going to go for rebadges of the current Toyota's that they have in Japan.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteApparently, the higher-end customers still favor imported luxury cars over $100k Toyotas, so this would give them a more-upscale brand to look at.
But they favor imported American cars....they are not going to go for rebadges of the current Toyota's that they have in Japan.
Maybe they will, affluent Japanese might be just as snobby and badge oriented as affluent Americans are.  

ifcar

Maybe they will, affluent Japanese might be just as snobby and badge oriented as affluent Americans are.
Highly probable. Also, I assume that with Toyota's deep pockets, they'd be able to do much more than just rebadge their existing models. I'd expect a serious effort.

Raghavan

Do you have a reason to rebadge them as Lexi?  Pretty illogical name, if you ask me.
Lexi is the plural of Lexus. I didn't want to call it Lexuses. I call them Lexi. Doofus. :rolleyes:  

Raza

Lexus thrives on image consciousness of its buyers--that happens much less in Japan.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteLexus thrives on image consciousness of its buyers--that happens much less in Japan.
If that were true, they wouldn't poo-poo the Toyota name in favor of an import. Don't give upscale consumers too much credit in any country.

Raghavan

QuoteLexus thrives on image consciousness of its buyers--that happens much less in Japan.
If that were true, they wouldn't poo-poo the Toyota name in favor of an import. Don't give upscale consumers too much credit in any country.
are you saying that rich people are bad?

ifcar

are you saying that rich people are bad?
Upscale consumers are typically the most brand-baised.  

BMWDave

Lexi is the plural of Lexus. I didn't want to call it Lexuses. I call them Lexi. Doofus. :rolleyes:
But why would you change a car name from Lexus to Lexi?  I know Lexi is the plural of Lexus, but that doesnt explain why you would change individual car's names to Lexi.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

But why would you change a car name from Lexus to Lexi?  I know Lexi is the plural of Lexus, but that doesnt explain why you would change individual car's names to Lexi.
He says "rebadge all the Toyotas into Lexuses." In his context, it's plural.

However, Lexus itself doesn't go with the plural "Lexi."

Raghavan

ok. i'll re-write my statement because you apparently don't have the brainpower to understand it. :lol:
'axe all the high model Toyotas and rebadge them as Lexuses". happy now?

BMWDave

Oh, I see what he is saying.  I thought he advocated changing the whole 'Lexus' monicker to Lexi.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Oh, I see what he is saying.  I thought he advocated changing the whole 'Lexus' monicker to Lexi.
:rolleyes:
do you get it now???

BMWDave

do you get it now???
I just implied that didnt I? :rolleyes:   Next time be a bit more clear.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

do you get it now???
I just implied that didnt I? :rolleyes:   Next time be a bit more clear.
i WAS clear, as ifcar could understand what i was saying. :rolleyes:  

TBR

BMWdave, it was pretty clear what he meant. I have used Lexi myself numerous times simply becauses "Lexuses" neither looks nor sounds quite right.  

Raghavan

QuoteBMWdave, it was pretty clear what he meant. I have used Lexi myself numerous times simply becauses "Lexuses" neither looks nor sounds quite right.
finally! something that you agreed with me on! :praise:  

BMWDave

QuoteBMWdave, it was pretty clear what he meant. I have used Lexi myself numerous times simply becauses "Lexuses" neither looks nor sounds quite right.
He said axe all high end Toyota models and rebadge them as Lexi.  I took it to mean change them so that the car name becomes Lexi.  Whatever.  I understand what he means now.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

He said axe all high end Toyota models and rebadge them as Lexi.  I took it to mean change them so that the car name becomes Lexi.  Whatever.  I understand what he means now.
that's good! :praise:  

ifcar

No car name takes anything more than the standard plural form. You don't have two Toyota Matrices or Camries, or a Hertz lot full of Ford Tauri.