Police Officers Dressed Up As Homeless Men?

Started by Atomic, May 30, 2006, 06:24:33 PM

Atomic

while watching cnn today, i learned that west palm beach, florida (my former stomping grounds) is utilizing police officers dressed up as very eccentric homeless people to serve as decoys at major intercections in order to ticket motorists running red lights! these men will even "flirt" w/ motorists in an effort to get them to commit a traffic violation. to me, these officers serve as blatant distractions!

according to the popular news network, these men immediately alert nearby men in blue who quickly issue the citations. what irks me the most is how far these officers will go to attract  (umm... distract?!) drivers to the so called officer's "alleged" homeless issues before nabbing them. it's unreal  :rockon: !

according to the news story (and an online article), the wpb, fl, police department will soon send out officers dressed up as pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers, and injuried "civilians" to catch even more supposed violators.

is this ethical? i think not  :wtf: !

your opinions will be respected!

jadewolf123

I dont need more reasons to not like the police, Public safety is one thing but I think this might be entrapment.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

sparkplug

This is just plain stinking weird. If a cop dressed up as a homeless guy starts harassing me, I'll call the cops on him.  

Rupert

I wonder if they know what entrapment is in Florida...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

jadewolf123

QuoteI wonder if they know what entrapment is in Florida...
Probably think its a new form of S&M
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Lazerous

Ill admit, FL cops arent the brightest, especially in my area, I guess its cause FL has a whole bunch of old folks that can never break a rule or the speed limit ofr that matter, so cops here are despereate for some 'action'

Raghavan

If a 'hobo' was harrassing me, i'd beat the crap outta them. I'd have a good cause to do so, too, whether they're cops or not.

IrishGuy

Actually - I watched a news story on this yesterday and the officer dressed up as the homeless man would talk to the motorists at the intersection telling them to pay attention, get off their cellphones, and let them know they were smart to stop for the red light.

I don't think this is wrong at all --- if you're not running red lights then you have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:  
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Rupert

QuoteIf a 'hobo' was harrassing me, i'd beat the crap outta them. I'd have a good cause to do so, too, whether they're cops or not.
Hahaha! Dumbass. Not only is mild harrassment by hobo not cause for violence in anyone who matters' book, but you'd get yer ass handed to you with a pitchfork.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

QuoteIf a 'hobo' was harrassing me, i'd beat the crap outta them. I'd have a good cause to do so, too, whether they're cops or not.
Nope...you would not.

Tom

Nope...you would not.

:lol:  

TurboDan

I've looked both ways and crossed an intersection at a red light before when a homeless guy approached my car.  I really just don't want them coming up to my window and bothering me, smudging things up, etc.  I've driven in neighborhoods where there is active prostitution and drug dealing as well, and I can recall several times when I've safely pulled up, looked both ways, and went on my way.  

I'm usually pretty pro-cop, but this is clearly bordering on entrapment.  When a homeless person, drug dealer, or prostitute approaches a car, it is a legitimate safety risk and people do skip the light to get away.  In addition, having lived in Tampa for a little while a few years back, I have to say that homeless people are MUCH more agressive and dangerous in FL than in the northeast.  I knew of people that had been mugged and even held at knifepoint and robbed by the homeless down there. I never knew ANYONE that experienced that up here - they usually never bother you for the most part.

I don't like this one bit.  Once the media gets hold of it, it'll stop.  I can see a big public outcry.

Atomic

QuoteI've looked both ways and crossed an intersection at a red light before when a homeless guy approached my car.  I really just don't want them coming up to my window and bothering me, smudging things up, etc.  I've driven in neighborhoods where there is active prostitution and drug dealing as well, and I can recall several times when I've safely pulled up, looked both ways, and went on my way.  

I'm usually pretty pro-cop, but this is clearly bordering on entrapment.  When a homeless person, drug dealer, or prostitute approaches a car, it is a legitimate safety risk and people do skip the light to get away.  In addition, having lived in Tampa for a little while a few years back, I have to say that homeless people are MUCH more agressive and dangerous in FL than in the northeast.  I knew of people that had been mugged and even held at knifepoint and robbed by the homeless down there. I never knew ANYONE that experienced that up here - they usually never bother you for the most part.

I don't like this one bit.  Once the media gets hold of it, it'll stop.  I can see a big public outcry.
amen!

as for the alleged attempts of the officers providing so called "counseling" to passerbys, i find it very hard to believe that anyone heading off to work during morning rush hour would have the time to stop and listen to the advice dressed as a drug addict. what do these officers do to speak w/ a driver? flag down motorists? is so, it seems to me that they are distracting everyone; either by causing a scene via their visual antics, or by flagging individuals down to provide a lecture!  

Rupert

Hobo not equal to drug addict. Drug addict not equal to hobo.

Run Away

QuoteHobo not equal to drug addict. Drug addict not equal to hobo.
What are you trying to say, that you're a hobo, or that you're a drug addict?

Rupert

I'm a hobo.

But I'm just saying that the words hobo and drug addict are not interchangeable. Atomic used drug addict when he meant hobo.

Catman

Guys, it is not entrapment.  Entrapment is only when someone is pushed into committing something that they would not ordinarily do.  Having a bum standing on the corner isn't going to make someone run the light, they're going to run it regardless.  That's not entrapment.

TurboDan

It wasn't so much the bum sitting there as it was the part where they approach the car.  Alot of times, that would push someone to inch up and cross the intersection so as not to bother with a panhandler.  Even moreso if the "prostitute/drug dealer" angle is used.

Raza

Probably think its a new form of S&M
New?

Anyway, you all know how I feel about the police (not The Police, I love them), so this is just fuel in the fire.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

QuoteIt wasn't so much the bum sitting there as it was the part where they approach the car.  Alot of times, that would push someone to inch up and cross the intersection so as not to bother with a panhandler.  Even moreso if the "prostitute/drug dealer" angle is used.
If someone was compelled to move their car, violating a traffic law in the process, and they would not have moved otherwise then I'd agree that's crossing the line.  

TurboDan

I just generally don't like these sneaky "gotcha" techniques that are getting more popular.  Is it THAT important that this entire ridiculous production has to thought up and implemented, all to write a couple red light tickets?  Geez, if it's that bad, just put a red light camera up with a sign 50 feet before the intersection notifying drivers.  Guaranteed it'd cut it down by 90%.

ifcar

280Z Turbo

Atomic

QuoteIt wasn't so much the bum sitting there as it was the part where they approach the car.  Alot of times, that would push someone to inch up and cross the intersection so as not to bother with a panhandler.  Even moreso if the "prostitute/drug dealer" angle is used.
If someone was compelled to move their car, violating a traffic law in the process, and they would not have moved otherwise then I'd agree that's crossing the line.
right on!

Atomic

QuoteI'm a hobo.

But I'm just saying that the words hobo and drug addict are not interchangeable. Atomic used drug addict when he meant hobo.
i stand corrected! thank you for catching that mistake!

dazzleman

I have no problem with police officers using decoys to observe illegal activities, and then informing uniformed officers who can then issue a ticket or make an arrest, as appropriate.

But TurboDan makes an excellent point about the homeless.  I have run red lights in New York for safety reasons also, to get away from people approaching my car that I thought could be dangerous, or at best a major nuisance.

If the police are posing as people who could be threatening to a motorist, and then nailing the motorist if he/she runs a red light to escape that threat, then I think the tactic is over the line.

In general, I am very pro-police and in favor of strict law enforcement.  But police should not be looking to incite law-breaking just so they can nail a person.  There's enough genuine law-breaking going on out there to keep the police legitimately busy without doing this type of thing, IMO.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Atomic

In general, I am very pro-police and in favor of strict law enforcement. But police should not be looking to incite law-breaking just so they can nail a person. There's enough genuine law-breaking going on out there to keep the police legitimately busy without doing this type of thing, IMO.

dazzleman:

i couldn't agree more! nicely put  :clap: !

IrishGuy

Well, what about the part where the school bus ran the red light? Aren't you happy that they were able to catch the driver of that through such an operation?
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Atomic

QuoteWell, what about the part where the school bus ran the red light? Aren't you happy that they were able to catch the driver of that through such an operation?
i do not appove of the method, but who can argue w/ your excellent point? i cannot  :blink: ! ~ atomic

Raza

I think an even more effective strategy would be to force motorists to break laws at gunpoint.  I mean, think of the possibilities!  They could expand this beyond motoring offenses to more serious crimes like nonviolent and violent drug use, robbery, and even homicide!  Embezzlement is iffy.  

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.