Porsche Cayman: Coming January 2006

Started by ifcar, May 23, 2005, 04:51:05 PM

ifcar

Sports coup? with a new boxer engine extends the Porsche range

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart will be launching the new Cayman S on November 26, 2005. This sporty two-seater, based on the Boxster series, boasts a newly developed six-cylinder boxer engine with a capacity of 3.4 liters and an output of 295 bhp (217 KW). The assembly delivers an impressive performance: high and constant propulsive power at lower and medium speeds. The sports car?s maximum speed is 275 kph (171 mph). With manual transmission and a centrally placed engine, the Cayman S accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds (0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds).

Equipped with Porsche?s VarioCam Plus system for variable intake camshaft control and valve timing, the Cayman S has a torque of 340 Newtonmeters (255 ft. lbs.) with between 4,400 and 6,000 rpm. The VarioCam Plus system was previously reserved for the 911 series. Power transmission is executed via a six-speed gearbox with short, precise shifting travel, which was taken from the Boxster S and further developed. The familiar five-speed Tiptronic S automatic transmission is also available on request, and has rocker switches in the steering wheel spokes for a sports gear shifting operation. The Tiptronic S transmission was refined specifically for the sports coup?, receiving a new electronic and hydraulic control unit.

At first sight, the Cayman S looks likes a typical Porsche sports car. At the same time, however, its autonomous design ensures that it stands out against the Boxster and 911 Carrera. The new front is accentuated by oval main headlamps and distinctive air inlets.

The fog lights integrated in the outside air inlets underline Porsche?s current design philosophy. The low-lying upper windshield sill and the pronounced roof profile accentuate the unique and dynamic front view.

The characteristic silhouette of the Cayman S owes itself to the newly designed coup? line with a long wheelbase, a rear end that falls away gently and side windows that perpetuate the dynamic contours of the sill area. The model?s rear view is defined by a large tailgate, powerfully sweeping fenders and an automatically extending wing. The distinctively styled dual exhaust outlet is located centrally below the fenders. The tailgate has a large upward opening width for loading the 260-liter trunk. The trunk, in conjunction with the front luggage compartment (150 liters) and numerous additional storage compartments, ensures that the two-seater also has high practical value.

The aluminum chassis with a large track emphasizes the sporty, dynamic appearance of the vehicle, which is fitted as standard with 18-inch tires. In combination with Porsche Stability Management (PSM), also a standard feature, the chassis sets a benchmark in the area of driving dynamics and active driving safety. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) can be ordered as a option. This system lowers the body ten millimeters closer to the ground and automatically adjusts the suspension ratings to the given road conditions. The driver can select the Normal or Sport programs via a button in the center console.

The basic price for the Cayman S is 50,300 euros. The vehicle costs 58,529 euros in Germany including value added tax and country-specific requirements.

The Cayman S will go on sale in the United States and Canada in mid January of 2006 at a price of $58,900 US.

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

58K for this car is not bad at all....and I'm sure you would get to sixty faster than 5.1.  So you get better than 911 handling, equal or almost equal acceleration, looks just as good....this is an amazing deal.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

What gives you the idea that it would outhandle the 911?

Catman

QuoteWhat gives you the idea that it would outhandle the 911?
Supposedly it was faster in testing.  I still think the price is steep as is the Boxster.  I remember when the Boxter first came out it was pretty reasonable priced if I remember correctly.  I think a price in the high thirties would be more reasonable but it's a Porsche so oh well.

ifcar

A $30K Porsche would either be an inferior-quality automobile, or it would cost the brand its exclusivity. It's doing fine the way it is, and even at $60K the Cayman should be a success.

BMWDave

Mid engine...and plus, it has been running faster laps due to better handling because of increased balance.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Mid engine...and plus, it has been running faster laps due to better handling because of increased balance.
Where did you hear this?

Raghavan

because it's smaller and lighter and mid engine balance should be a factor too, imo.

SJ_GTI

It seems nice, but I would still prefer a Boxster unless I was buying a dedicated track car.

BMWDave

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
No doofus. About the fact that it can handle better than the 911. :lol:  

BMWDave

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
I admit that I do not have a concrete source, but I specifically remember reading that its midengine layout and power almost equatable to a 911 gave it faster handling times than the rear engine 911 Carrera.  I'll try to dig out where I read that.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
I admit that I do not have a concrete source, but I specifically remember reading that its midengine layout and power almost equatable to a 911 gave it faster handling times than the rear engine 911 Carrera.  I'll try to dig out where I read that.
Yes, it can probably hang with a base 911, but not an S. The S would probably be able to pull out harder and faster through the turns than the Cayman.

BMWDave

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
Yes, it can probably hang with a base 911, but not an S. The S would probably be able to pull out harder and faster through the turns than the Cayman.
Probably true.  I was talking about the regular 911.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
I'd stilll take a Cayman over an S though.

BMWDave

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
Nothing beats a midengine :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Where did you hear this?
About the midengine?
Nothing beats a midengine :praise:
Nothing beats a midengined hardtop Boxter with more horsepower. :praise:  

TBR

Sounds nice and all, but I will still take a 911 over it any day.  

ifcar

How much more is the 911, $10K? $20K?

Either way, I'd expect to see Corvette vs. 911 comparisons give way to Corvette vs. Cayman, as their pricing looks to be much closer.  

giant_mtb

Just another car to get confused with the 911 and Boxster... <_<  lol

Looks nice!  (although it's sort of like Pontiac where more than two of their cars look almost exactly the same [grand am, grand prix, bonneville])

ifcar

QuoteJust another car to get confused with the 911 and Boxster... <_<  lol

Looks nice!  (although it's sort of like Pontiac where more than two of their cars look almost exactly the same [grand am, grand prix, bonneville])
You think that the Grand Prix looks like a Bonneville?  <_<  

giant_mtb

QuoteJust another car to get confused with the 911 and Boxster... <_<  lol

Looks nice!  (although it's sort of like Pontiac where more than two of their cars look almost exactly the same [grand am, grand prix, bonneville])
You think that the Grand Prix looks like a Bonneville?  <_<
Well I mean similar... that trio (Grand Am, Grand Prix, and Bonneville) all sorta look the same...and I don't like it.

Raza

Supposedly it was faster in testing.  I still think the price is steep as is the Boxster.  I remember when the Boxter first came out it was pretty reasonable priced if I remember correctly.  I think a price in the high thirties would be more reasonable but it's a Porsche so oh well.
If Porsche wants to sell something in the 30K range, it shouldn't be a Boxster type vehicle.  It should be a new front engined 9 model.  I believe Automobile suggested a partnership between Porsche and Subaru to build a Porsche 914 and 914S, with a WRX and WRX STi engine.  While I may not agree with the powerplant choices and AWD drivetrain configurations, it's a good idea on that level that it's a new, lower priced Porsche.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

If Porsche wants to sell something in the 30K range, it shouldn't be a Boxster type vehicle.  It should be a new front engined 9 model.  I believe Automobile suggested a partnership between Porsche and Subaru to build a Porsche 914 and 914S, with a WRX and WRX STi engine.  While I may not agree with the powerplant choices and AWD drivetrain configurations, it's a good idea on that level that it's a new, lower priced Porsche.
Porsche could make it front-engine, but make it RWD and use their own 2.7l engine (detuend a bit) and then make the WRX engine optional, like an S model. An STi engined car would be stupid, and the $30k car would make more hp than the $60k Cayman S.

Raza

Porsche could make it front-engine, but make it RWD and use their own 2.7l engine (detuend a bit) and then make the WRX engine optional, like an S model. An STi engined car would be stupid, and the $30k car would make more hp than the $60k Cayman S.
They could detune it to where the Legacy is--that way the engine would be under less stress than the 2.0L I4 would be, and still get 23 more horse.  But it should be cheap, light, and light on luxury.  Leather to keep you in the seats, a 6 speed stick, and that's it.  Enough safety to pass regulations, that's all.  No complicated electronics, just the basics.    Target weight should be around the Miata's 2500.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

It was Motor Trend.

"Porsche 914 STi
Porsche reaches down to grab the Sony PlayStation crowd with this super looooow two-seater powered by the 300-hp turbocharged flat four from the Subaru STi instead of the old air-cooled VW. Priced under $30K, the 914 STi could introduce a whole new generation of buyers to the Porsche brand."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

They could detune it to where the Legacy is--that way the engine would be under less stress than the 2.0L I4 would be, and still get 23 more horse.  But it should be cheap, light, and light on luxury.  Leather to keep you in the seats, a 6 speed stick, and that's it.  Enough safety to pass regulations, that's all.  No complicated electronics, just the basics.    Target weight should be around the Miata's 2500.
250hp is still less than the Boxter's 240, and the Boxter still costs a lot more.

Raghavan

It was Motor Trend.
Yuck. looks liek the 612 scaglietti, but bigger. :blink:  

Raza

It's just a drawing by MT.

It should be faster than the Boxster.  It won't handle as well, nor be as stylish.  But it should be a stronger performer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i