Lexus IS500

Started by Raghavan, June 04, 2006, 09:45:46 AM

omicron

QuoteI expected a shitstorm after what I said...it's still early I guess.

:)
But you said precisely the right thing.  :hammerhead:  

Raza

Wow, I thought the electronic nannies on the 3-series could be fully turned off!
They can.

I guess 'killed' is a better term to use than 'crippled'  :lol:
Try driving with them off...
Did it today.

The only somewhat interesting thing that happened was that I floored it going around 5MPH in first gear and I got some wheelspin. I haven't been able to do anything involving turns yet and seeing how it responds with DSC off. I'm being cautious about it because I've never driven a RWD car without DSC and my driving habits often prompt DSC to intervene when I make a sharp turn.
In dry situations, the DSC does more harm than good.  When I had the E320 I ran ESP off at all times, except in rain, and intermittently in snow.  When I drove with it on, I had trouble with it interfering when making turns, and slowing me down.

I also still say that in the Passat, having ASR off saved my life when I almost got into that accident in the rain.  The brakes clearly wouldn't stop me in time, so I had to use the gas to avoid the car in front of me and the one behind me, and the ones in the oncoming lanes...in the wet, ASR would have stopped the wheels from spinning, kept my back end in line, and not allowed me to evade all those cars.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I have a history saying controversial things...

:P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

:lol:

In celebration of stirring shit, then, I would suggest that Pontiac, Lexus and BMW can shove their obsessive pursuit of brand image, personality and differentiation.  

Raza

In celebration of stirring shit, then, I would suggest that Pontiac, Lexus and BMW can shove their obsessive pursuit of brand image, personality and differentiation.
I think BMW has lost much of the personality they once had, and Lexus never had any, and have never been apologetic about it.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

I think BMW has lost much of the personality they once had, and Lexus never had any, and have never been apologetic about it.
BMW marketers would probably reel back in horror. You can see their key words bursting into their heads right now: 'but we're EDGY and MODERN and CUTTING EDGE and DETERMINED and FOCUSED and PURE and DYNAMIC and......'

:rolleyes:  :hammerhead:  

Raza

BMW marketers would probably reel back in horror. You can see their key words bursting into their heads right now: 'but we're EDGY and MODERN and CUTTING EDGE and DETERMINED and FOCUSED and PURE and DYNAMIC and......'

Ultimate!

I never did claim to work in marketing, but the BMW's newfound reliance on technology has pushed me away--the 330i is the perfect car for me, but with the lack of personality (and a limited slip differential) I feel as though I cannot claim to be a lover of cars and own a new model BMW.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Ultimate!

I never did claim to work in marketing, but the BMW's newfound reliance on technology has pushed me away--the 330i is the perfect car for me, but with the lack of personality (and a limited slip differential) I feel as though I cannot claim to be a lover of cars and own a new model BMW.
Therein lies the trouble with attempting to create a brand personality - it fits only one exact type of person.  

Raza

Brand personality is a marketing technique--I'm talking about cars with personality.  These new things with all the computers are protecting their investment, not making it better to drive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

QuoteBrand personality is a marketing technique--I'm talking about cars with personality.  These new things with all the computers are protecting their investment, not making it better to drive.
Exactly.

BMW! You make CARS not ADS. Stop trying to make your cars like your advertisements - emotionless, clinical and forgettable.  

TBR

Raza, I am afraid that Porsche is in it just to make money too... Have you already forgotten about the Cayenne? What about the upcoming Panamerica? They are both there to make money, throwing Porsche tradition aside for profit.

I mean, how can you look at a Porsche options price list and not think they are in it to make money? :D

All that said, it is still the best car company in the world imho.  

Raghavan

Besides Lotus, every other car company is trying to make the max amount of money possible... Not Lotus though... They don't have to either because they're not an independent company.

850CSi

I turned DSC off again today except this time I threw some sharp turns into the equation and had way too much fun. It's ridiculously easy to get the ass to come out.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI turned DSC off again today except this time I threw some sharp turns into the equation and had way too much fun. It's ridiculously easy to get the ass to come out.
were are you located at 850??

Maybe you should swing over and let me take your 325 off your hands for a few days, i would like a extended test drive, maybe it will sway me away from the infiniti(the biggest competitor IMO).

Raghavan

That's why i want RWD. Drifting is so fun. :praise:

JYODER240

QuoteThat's why i want RWD. Drifting is so fun. :praise:
Have you ever "drifted" a car?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

QuoteI turned DSC off again today except this time I threw some sharp turns into the equation and had way too much fun. It's ridiculously easy to get the ass to come out.

Maybe you should swing over and let me take your 325 off your hands for a few days, i would like a extended test drive, maybe it will sway me away from the infiniti(the biggest competitor IMO).
Chicago.  :praise:

And the answer is no. I'm too busy drifting.  :lol:  :devil:  

FlatBlackCaddy

typical bmw snob.

i mean sob.... :D

Hey, if you come by i'll let you drive a real car.

Raghavan

QuoteThat's why i want RWD. Drifting is so fun. :praise:
Have you ever "drifted" a car?
Does in a parking lot count?
I did it in one. It was super fun.

850CSi

typical bmw snob.

i mean sob.... :D

Hey, if you come by i'll let you drive a real car.

MrH

I don't think Rag is even 16 yet.

And some of you guys are the most pretentious, arrogant, "holier than thou" ass holes I've ever heard.  Seriously, look back at some of the shit you guys wrote in this thread.

Get off your high horse.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raghavan

QuoteI don't think Rag is even 16 yet.

And some of you guys are the most pretentious, arrogant, "holier than thou" ass holes I've ever heard.  Seriously, look back at some of the shit you guys wrote in this thread.

Get off your high horse.
I'm 17 dude. ;)
And considering the fact that i've posted like 5 times in this thread, i can safely say your second part of the post doesn't apply to me. :praise:  

omicron

Get off your high horse.
*climbs off of high horse*

;)

I still say that most car manufacturers market their brands relatively poorly. :devil:

Raza

Spinning out isn't drifting.  

And what chance is there that I'll get off my high horse?  You know me better than that, H.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

And some of you guys are the most pretentious, arrogant, "holier than thou" ass holes I've ever heard.  Seriously, look back at some of the shit you guys wrote in this thread.

Get off your high horse.
I'm 17 dude. ;)
And considering the fact that i've posted like 5 times in this thread, i can safely say your second part of the post doesn't apply to me. :praise:
On C&D you told me that you were 13.  :blink:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie