Published Date: 5/23/05
2006 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GT
ON SALE: Now
BASE PRICE: $24,999 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 3.8-liter, 263-hp, 260-lb-ft V6; fwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3472 lbs
0 to 60 MPH: 6.0 seconds (mfr.)
PHOTOS: MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GALLERY

Tastes for sportcoupes usually follow an eccentric sort of orbit. One minute we?re waxing enthusiastic over some hot new number, the next our excitement wanes, attention drifting off through the automotive galaxy in search of the next big thing. It?s a segment ruled in large part by fad and fashion, with products flashing like shooting stars across showroom floors and life spans lasting but a twinkling.

So have the Mitsubishi Eclipse?s fortunes unfolded of late. Five years ago sales flirted with the 60,000 mark; last year they barely broke 12,000.

(Frankly, we?re a bit surprised it sold that many, especially considering the strength of the competition, the age of the car and the overall state of affairs at the struggling automaker. Mitsubishi?s North American sales plummeted more than 37 percent overall last year alone, and more than 43 percent this April from a year ago.)

The outgoing Eclipse, with its too-serious ?geo-mechanical? styling, aged poorly right out of the blocks. It made an impact at first, sure, but its straked-flank design quickly became less ?space age? in its message and more ?bad Pontiac.? And when pitted against its predecessor?argua?bly one of the most handsome sports coupes produced?the car just felt so much fatter and uninspired. That was six years ago.

Most striking abotu the new car's shape is how true it stays to the Eclipse Concept-E (above), the design study Mitsubishi rolled out for the 2004 Detroit auto show.

The redesign for 2000 also witnessed the elimination of the all-wheel-drive and turbo four options that helped to distinguish the second-generation car in favor of a more one-size-fits-all (read: cost-savings) approach. Sure, the Eclipse got V6 power for the first time, but not only would the 3.0-liter?s output (210 hp, 205 lb-ft) barely match that of the turbo?s (210 hp, 214 lb-ft), the character inherently changed. The surging power of the turbo gave way to a smooth- er, more civilized show.

The car also grew, and while many welcomed the increased interior space that the larger dimensions afforded, others felt the push upsize contributed to the transformation of the car into more of a grand tourer than true sports coupe. To that end Mitsubishi engineers also gave the car a less aggressive suspension setup, thereby softening the ride and imparting a more comfortable overall feel to the car.

The shift cast a shadow so thick over the once-beloved hot hatch that not only did sales nose dive, the Eclipse?s street creds all but evaporated.

At 263 hp, the 3.8-liter V6 pumps out more power than just about anything in the Eclipse?s class.

Even Richard Gilligan boasted of the second-generation Eclipse?s enduring popularity, reminding us that car remains in favor with the tuner crowd. And the best praise the freshly appointed president and CEO of Mitsu?s North American arm could direct at the outgoing model? It?s a ?movie star.? (For all but the three of you who actually saw the movie, that would be 2 Fast 2 Furious.)

In fact, that second-generation Eclipse, which Mitsubishi?s Normal, Illinois, plant cranked out between 1995 and 1999, had more success bucking the typical sports coupe flash-in-the-pan syndrome than most of its contemporaries. No rendition of the Toyota Celica can claim such high and consistent sales; not the Acura Integra or Hyundai Tiburon, either, just as examples. The second-gen Eclipse?s engaging design and brash performance simply resonated with folks, and sales hovered around 50,000 every year it saw production.

That?s also the car most purists picture when they hear the name Eclipse, even today?and from which the Japanese automaker clearly drew much of the inspiration in designing the fourth-generation model for 2006.

You still can?t get a turbo?charger, at least not from the factory, and the car remains a front-driver, but Mitsubishi made sure that is where the similarities to today?s car end. To quote the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse?s press kit, ?The only thing the Eclipse has in common with the car it replaces is its name.?

The same close attention paid to styling the Eclipse?s skin continues on the inside, with a layout that respects shapes and textures without sacrificing functionality.

For one, Mitsubishi?s design department abandoned whatever wacko philosophy compelled it to pen the outgoing car?s shape. You won?t find a rippled sill or multi-slotted vent anywhere. The surface movement of the new Eclipse?s skin has a much more organic texture, the softly flowing surfaces devoid of the sharp, technical features of the outgoing model.

From certain angles, and especially from the rear, the 2006 Eclipse actually mimics many of the second-generation car?s lines: the curve that arches across the top of the taillights and through the spoiler, the full roundness of the rear fascia and bumper, the crease where the door tucks into the side sill. Each of these features on the new car holds true to the former model. Even their greenhouses in profile carve similar silhouettes.

Inside you will find a layout and design unlike any Eclipse you?ve seen, with a wave-form dash panel accentuated with a particularly sporty-looking dual-binnacle instrument panel.

Perhaps most striking about the new car?s shape is how true it stays to the Eclipse Concept-E, the design study Mitsubishi roll- ed out for the 2004 Detroit auto show. Without benefit of seeing both cars side by side, you?d be forgiven for believing last year?s concept and this production model were one and the same. Of course, many of the more exaggerated features of the concept have been toned down. The wheel arches, for example, while still prominent, don?t have quite the bulbous, cartoony effect. We are excited to see a cool concept make it into production largely unspoiled.

But styling is one thing, performance quite another. It surely didn?t sound promising to hear Mitsubishi call the car ?a full-fledged grand touring coupe,? for starters. And a glance at the spec sheet only reinforced our initial hesitant impression: The 2006 Eclipse is bigger in all dimensions than the car it replaces: in length (by 2.9 inches), width (by 3.3), height (by 1.9), wheelbase (by 0.6) and track (by 2.4). Inside that translates into 2.1 cubic-feet of additional passenger space?all of it in front. Surprisingly, rear-seat riders get squeezed even further than they did before, losing out in head-, shoulder-, hip- and legroom.

The car also weighs 309 pounds more in base trim configuration than the model it replaces, and as if that weren?t discouraging in and of itself, Mitsubishi goes so far as to say, ?The comfortable and easy-to-drive Eclipse is the yin to the pure sports car yang of the Lancer Evolution.?

Blecch.

Yet whatever fears we harbored over the car?s on-road performance?and they were numerous?our first stint behind the wheel rapidly erased them; 263 hp and 260 lb-ft will do that just about any day.

That?s right, the top-trim-level Eclipse GT puts down a full 53 more horses and 55 more lb-ft of torque than the old car, now courtesy of the 3.8-liter V6 borrowed from the Galant (with which, along with the Endeavor SUV, the Eclipse also shares its platform). When shuttled through the car?s easy-shifting six-speed manual transmission?its gears spaced out nicely to take full advantage of the engine?s wide powerband?the whole package makes for a compelling statement.

The chassis feels much more composed than that in the ?05 car as well. When hustled quickly through some sweep-ing mountain passes, the MacPherson strut front and multilink rear setup swallows the dips and undulations easily without upsetting the car. Even in quick transitional situations the car does not exhibit an excessive amount of roll or pitch. Rebound control at both cruising and high speeds is excellent, too, with no wheel hop detected even over bigger, more sudden bumps.

Mitsubishi says the 2006 Eclipse has a 119 percent improvement in bending and an 11 percent improvement in torsional resistance, more travel dialed into the front suspension and a rear end with a longer track and stroke, all of which no doubt help the car best the ?05 Eclipse?s road manners.

Steering is nicely weighted at speed, with a progressive, predictable turn-in rate and a decent amount of communication from the road, even if it feels a little dead on-center. The optional 225/45R-18 all-season rubber we tested gives the car a good deal of manageable traction, with the larger, 11.6-inch front and 11.2-inch rear vented disc brakes, combined with standard ABS and EBD, providing decent stopping power.

When Dan Sims, Mitsubishi?s general manager of design, said the GT ?lifted [the Eclipse] out of the sports coupe segment and into the sport car segment,? we admit to more than snickering?but the exaggeration isn?t nearly as far-fetched as it sounds.

The base GS model, with its 2.4-liter 162-horse four paired to a five-speed manual, performs more than acceptably as well, and even at mild elevation (just more than 2000 feet above sea level), never feels wheezy or strained for breath. The optional four-speed automatic might take away from that a bit, but as it is, we never felt the GS wanting for power.

The GS comes standard with side airbags and curtains, keyless remote, power package and split-folding rear seats. GTs add traction control, fog lamps and a compass/temperature gauge. Upgrading to the GT premium gives you alumin?um pedals, sunroof, heated seats, a kicking nine-speaker Rockford Fosgate stereo system and the 18-inch wheels and tires (17s come standard otherwise, on both GS and GT models).

The 2006 Eclipse is a legitimate player for those seeking decent performance at an attractive price. With cars hitting showrooms the end of the month, GS models should start less than $20,000 while a GT with premium package sits just below $30,000.

There is no saying how long the 2006 Eclipse will hold the public?s attention; time will only tell. But those who line this car up in their sights will find the misstep that is the 2005 Eclipse finally?and thankfully?obscured for good.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Quite simply, no one will pay $30,000 for that thing. Either it will flop miserably, will sell for thousands under MSRP, or both. It simply isn't that impressive compared to other coupes, or even sedans.  

Fire It Up

They need to make this car less Eclipse - fatass and more FTO - badass.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

I am actually more impressed with that car than I thought I would be. It may not handle like a Mustang or 350z, but it is almost as fast and more refined than both.

ifcar

QuoteI am actually more impressed with that car than I thought I would be. It may not handle like a Mustang or 350z, but it is almost as fast and more refined than both.
Not close. The Eclipse is doing the 0-60 in the high sixes, while the 350Z has hit that in no more than six flat, and even Mustang V6 automatics are matching the time, while the Eclipse is priced at the level of the GT.

I see this vehicle more like a Galant coupe than a sports car, going against the Solara and Accord coupe, not the Mustang and certainly not the 350Z.

Fire It Up

QuoteI am actually more impressed with that car than I thought I would be. It may not handle like a Mustang or 350z, but it is almost as fast and more refined than both.
Not close. The Eclipse is doing the 0-60 in the high sixes, while the 350Z has hit that in no more than six flat, and even Mustang V6 automatics are matching the time, while the Eclipse is priced at the level of the GT.

I see this vehicle more like a Galant coupe than a sports car, going against the Solara and Accord coupe, not the Mustang and certainly not the 350Z.
^^^Yeah. what he said.^^^

BMWDave

its FWD excludes it from truly competing against the GT and 350Z.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

^^^Yeah. what he said.^^^
^^^ what he said about what the other guy said. ^_^

Secret Chimp

I don't get why they're comparing it to the previous Eclipse. This Eclipse, like the one before it, should be compared to the bump-hood/AWD-option Eclipse of two generations ago.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

BMWDave

QuoteI don't get why they're comparing it to the previous Eclipse. This Eclipse, like the one before it, should be compared to the bump-hood/AWD-option Eclipse of two generations ago.
That ecliplse was a much nimbler and lighter car, I believe, so they cant really be compared.

2007 Honda S2000

Secret Chimp

QuoteI don't get why they're comparing it to the previous Eclipse. This Eclipse, like the one before it, should be compared to the bump-hood/AWD-option Eclipse of two generations ago.
That ecliplse was a much nimbler and lighter car, I believe, so they cant really be compared.
That's the point; until the Eclipse line begins to approach that car of yore again, it's nothing to wow about.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

R&T got 5.8 seconds, so your source must not have very good drivers (I am guessing it is consumer reports, and their numbers are typically much lower than real automotive publications).

mazda6er

R&T got 5.8 seconds, so your source must not have very good drivers (I am guessing it is consumer reports, and their numbers are typically much lower than real automotive publications).
CR hasn't tested the Eclipse yet.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

More likely, R/T got a ringer.  

SJ_GTI

It seems like a nice coupe to me. Though as mentioned it now occupies a different niche than what it used to have. That niche now seems to be filled, amply, by the Evo.

As an Accord Coupe/Solara/Monte Carlo competitor it seems to be nice enough that personal style could be the deciding factor. I think you can consider the upcoming G6 in there too.

ifcar

QuoteIt seems like a nice coupe to me. Though as mentioned it now occupies a different niche than what it used to have. That niche now seems to be filled, amply, by the Evo.

As an Accord Coupe/Solara/Monte Carlo competitor it seems to be nice enough that personal style could be the deciding factor. I think you can consider the upcoming G6 in there too.
Definitely, forgot about that one.

However, I wouldn't say that the EVO really fills the Eclipse's old market position. It's in a whole different price bracket, even from the new Eclipse.  

Fire It Up

That's the point; until the Eclipse line begins to approach that car of yore again, it's nothing to wow about.
The 2G DSM nimble?

Raghavan

This eclipse is horrible ugly. I hate it. It looks much too bloated. It should have the nice knife-fighter -like styling of the evo, and one more thing: if this thing is based of the Endeavor platform, then why the hell can't it have awd if it's available on the endeavor?
rokon.gif  

Run Away

If they want to sell cars, all they need to do is listen to their primary target - ~25yr olds.
They will tell you they think turbos are cool, so is AWD.

What I could see selling quite well, and fullfilling the legacy of 1st and 2nd gen Eclipses at the same time would be an all new 4cyl with a turbo, and the AWD system off of the EVO. They're going to need to replace the 4G63 someday.

Think of it as a 2-door EVO or WRX. Price it right around $25,000 and it'll sell great.

BMWDave

QuoteIf they want to sell cars, all they need to do is listen to their primary target - ~25yr olds.

What I could see selling quite well, and fullfilling the legacy of 1st and 2nd gen Eclipses at the same time would be an all new 4cyl with a turbo, and the AWD system off of the EVO. They're going to need to replace the 4G63 someday.

Think of it as a 2-door EVO or WRX. Price it right around $25,000 and it'll sell great.
They've already made this so big its like a Galant Coupe (ifcar's words)

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

What they should do is tone down the bumpers a bit, make it look less fat, and then put the whole thing on the lancer evo platform, or just drop the 4G63 into the eclipse and use the endeavor platform and put AWD in it. detune the turbo a little to differentiate them two.

ifcar

QuoteIf they want to sell cars, all they need to do is listen to their primary target - ~25yr olds.

I wasn't talking only about the size and function of the vehicle. The Eclipse uses the platform and powertrain of the Galant as well.

Raghavan

I wasn't talking only about the size and function of the vehicle. The Eclipse uses the platform and powertrain of the Galant as well.
which is based on the Endeavor SUV platform that already has AWD, so how hard would it be to fit AWD on this eclipse???

ifcar

which is based on the Endeavor SUV platform that already has AWD, so how hard would it be to fit AWD on this eclipse???
One problem would be weight. AWD systems are quite heavy, and the Eclipse is already morbidly obese.

A second problem would be the system itself. It's designed for SUV use, not for sporty vehicles. And there are enough modifications between the Endeavor and Eclipse that it would be rather expensive to get the AWD system on there, and high volume would be unlikely.  

giant_mtb

One of my friends at school said he's getting a brand new one this summer... <_<   I tried to sway him from that decision be telling him that for about the same amount of money he could get a faster and more versatile car...the WRX Sedan.  He is going to look into it...  :praise:  (but he doesn't know much about cars and probably won't listen to me... <_< )

ifcar

He might want a coupe, going by the idea that coupes are inherently sportier than sedans. Tell him that he can get a V8 Mustang, maybe even a GTO, for the price of a high-end V6 Eclipse, and he might come around faster.  

giant_mtb

Yeah...I told him that he can get AWD, 4 doors for more people, faster acceleration and a better all-around car for the same price..and he was pretty interested in it so I guess I'll help with it...

giant_mtb

Oh and he probably wouldn't want a GTO or Mustang because of the winters around here.  The first thing he said to me when we started talking about this was "dude the car that I'm getting already has a 10 inch sub in it!  and i'm prolly gonna put two 12's in it"...I thought he was talking about some crap junker with a system in it...but sure enough he said he's getting a brand new 2006 Eclipse... <_<  

Raza

QuoteOne of my friends at school said he's getting a brand new one this summer... <_<   I tried to sway him from that decision be telling him that for about the same amount of money he could get a faster and more versatile car...the WRX Sedan.  He is going to look into it...  :praise:  (but he doesn't know much about cars and probably won't listen to me... <_< )
If he wants an automatic, push him back to the Eclipse to save the rest of the world the embarassment.  Plus, with that archaic 4 speed auto, the WRX won't be nearly as fun or fast.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan