Interiors of the Ford Trio

Started by BMWDave, May 06, 2005, 04:43:58 PM

BMWDave

Fusion, Milan and Zephyr Interiors Anything But Vanilla

Featured Stories

Press Releases
By: Kristopher Spencer | Ford Communications Network

The interiors of the Ford Fusion (top), Mercury Milan (middle) and Lincoln Zephyr provide a pleasing sensory experience for drivers and passengers alike.
DEARBORN, May 6, 2005 -- As people spend more time in vehicles, designers at Ford Motor Company are thinking outside the box to provide a pleasing sensory experience for drivers and passengers alike.
As design is a key differentiator in the marketplace and consumers are more design savvy than ever before, providing car buyers with a selection of interior color and material options is paramount. For examples, look no further than the all-new Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr.

"Today's consumers are extremely demanding. They expect quality and outstanding execution," said Barb Whalen, color and materials manager, large and midsize cars. "When people remodel their homes they look at an array of well-designed fixtures and finishes. They want that level of design quality in their cars as well."

Knowing what customers will like in an automotive interior isn't an exact science, but according to Whalen and her colleagues in Color and Materials, they are confident about the combinations available to consumers this fall when each of the midsize vehicles is launched.

Inside the Ford Fusion

The design of the Fusion was inspired by the Ford 427 concept, which was a hit with crowds at 2003 auto shows. The designers adapted the optional charcoal-black leather interior with contrasting oatmeal-colored seat stitching from the 427.

Ford Fusion
"The contrast calls attention to the craftsmanship," said Susan Lampinen, chief designer in Color and Materials. Lampinen added that such an interior treatment addresses a key trend in consumer products. Buyers are seeking a level of fashion that, until recently, was available only in prestige luxury goods.

Another key trend is vehicle customization. The Fusion's charcoal-black with oatmeal-colored contrast stitching and piano black trim is one of three distinct interior themes. The other color options are camel and medium light stone. The sporty version uses carbon fiber, while the base version uses mold-in-color surfaces instead of decorative film.

Described by market research participants as "youthful, professional, sporty and athletic," the Fusion boasts the organized controls, flush surfaces, close panel fits and simple design also found on the Ford Five Hundred. Automotive critics have noted that the car possesses soft-touch surfaces and materials that exude surprising quality for a car in its class.

The Fusion's interior also is roomy, seating up to five adults comfortably. And its 60-40 split rear seats allow both passengers and luggage simultaneously -- a feature shared by the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr. Generous head, shoulder and leg room in all three cars ensure a comfortable and relaxed journey.

Mercury Milan
Inside the Mercury Milan

For the Mercury Milan, Ford's designers took inspiration from the urban sophistication and technical precision of modern architecture. They also studied the aluminum surfaces of upscale home appliances and the details of finely crafted handbags and other personal accessories.

Milan uses upgraded materials throughout its interior, such as leather seats and either satin metallic or Wales mahogany wood trim finishes. The Milan differentiates itself from most midsize sedans, thanks to the availability of two-tone leather seating surfaces with contrast stitching, just as the Ford Fusion does in its own class.

"The use of two-tone interiors in the Milan is a carryover from the Mountaineer, Mariner and Montego," Whalen said. "Not only is it an inviting environment, it also reinforces the brand's distinctiveness."

Six interiors are offered, allowing Milan purchasers to pick a theme and color scheme that best fits their individual taste. Options include leather seats with light and dark two tones and contrasting stitching.

"The name Milan evokes fashionable European modernity," Lampinen said. "It should attract a new and younger breed of tech-savvy, sophisticated consumer."

Lincoln Zephyr  
Inside the Lincoln Zephyr

The new Zephyr isn't the first Lincoln to use that name. The original 1936 Lincoln Zephyr was inspired by the aerodynamic "streamliner" trains of the Art Deco era. It is best remembered as a prop for the famed "Thin Man" movie series, starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as debonair crime fighters Nick and Nora Charles.

The new version was designed to appeal to younger buyers seeking a luxury automobile with the comfort and refinement befitting a Lincoln.

The interior combines light and bright color materials, accentuated by the raised surface textures such as satin aluminum, chrome, leather and wood. All buttons and knobs are chromed, as are the one-touch louvered air vents, interior door handles and the control stalks on either side of the steering wheel. Crossing through the aluminum-faced center stack along the length of the instrument panel is a horizontal band of contrasting trim in one of four surfaces: Aluminum, aluminum with a dark finish, dark ebony wood or light maple.

"The light maple gives the interior a fresh and exciting look," says Marek Reichman, director of Interior Design Strategy. "The dark ebony is classic and elegant for a more traditional sense of luxury. The aluminum, with its lightly raised ribbing, is very technical and modern. We were able to establish four completely different ambient settings through use of these materials."

The seats are faced in new, softer premium leather, with shapes reminiscent of the classic Eames lounge chairs.

Fusion, Milan and Zephyr share Ford's new CD3 architecture, which will eventually be the basis for up to 10 unique vehicles in North America and approximately 800,000 vehicles annually over time. The vehicles will be built at Ford's Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico. They will go on sale in the United States, Canada and Mexico beginning in the fall.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

This is all from Ford's website.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

Definately not overdone and that's a big plus.  Solid construction with good materials is what I look for.

ifcar

I'm not a huge fan of the dash design or layout of the Ford/Mercury. The Lincoln has a unique setup that I've warmed to.  

BMWDave

I had a look at them at the Auto Show and they looked well put together.  I was in a 500 and I was really, really, impressed with quality in it.  The leather was really soft, and it felt very well built.  Judging from Ford's new interiors, these should be very high quality and very high class.

I took this picture at the NYIAS.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

Well, theyre not godly, but they are pretty good. The Lincoln's interior reminds me of a yacht somehow...I think its the light colored wood.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

QuoteWell, theyre not godly, but they are pretty good. The Lincoln's interior reminds me of a yacht somehow...I think its the light colored wood.
Yea, I see what you mean.  Its a nice interior though.

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

I sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.  I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.  I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.

BMWDave

QuoteI sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.  I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.  I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.
And theyre both very safe and solid cars due to the Volvo platform.  If it was me, I would pick them over a camry in an instant.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.  I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.  I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.
A Camry doesn't cost more.  ;)  

NomisR

Not the best looking interior I've seen, the Mercury interior reminds me of a Nissan/Infiniti, I don't really like their interior either.  

Catman

QuoteI sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.  I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.  I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.
Yeah, you're right.  

TBR

QuoteI sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.  I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.  I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.
It is also considerably smaller than the Five Hundred.

Anyhow, I really like the interior of the Milan and Fusion, but the Zephyer's looks like it belongs in a truck.

mazda6er

QuoteI sat in a Montego and a 500 and both times I was impressed even after close scrutiny.? I no longer believe a Camry is worth the extra money.? I wouldn't hesitate to give one of these vehicles a try.

Anyhow, I really like the interior of the Milan and Fusion, but the Zephyer's looks like it belongs in a truck.
All of Lincoln's interiors are pretty similar. For example here is the Aviator:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

All of Lincoln's interiors are pretty similar. For example here is the Aviator:
That is the problem, the interior of a sports sedan shouldn't like almost the same as one in a truck,

VetteZ06

I like the Fusion's interior in darker colors more than lighter colors. It looks nice in pictures, though.

I feel the same way about the Zephyr's interior as I do its exterior - that is, I don't like it.  ;)  

ifcar

Absolutely. But that wasn't what Catman said.  

TBR

I know, but my ultimate goal in life is to become a Five Hundred troll ;)

ifcar

If I didn't prefer the Avalon, I woud've taken over that role.  :D

Well, dibs on the Freestyle!  :P  

Lorinser

I like the interiors of the Ford and the Mercury, but I think that the Lincoln's interior looks really weird.

MX793

Of the pictures presented, I like the Mercury's the best.  But I'm partial to dark colored interiors with metallic accents.  I've never been a fan of light colors and wood trim.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Yeah, at C/D you were just a sidekick Avalon troll, but here you have a chance at the top position ;)

ifcar

Yeah, at C/D you were just a sidekick Avalon troll, but here you have a chance at the top position ;)
I resent that.  :angry:  

IrishGuy

QuoteOf the pictures presented, I like the Mercury's the best.  But I'm partial to dark colored interiors with metallic accents.  I've never been a fan of light colors and wood trim.
I feel the same as well. I definitely have a thing for darker interiors.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited