***Cadillac BLS Advertisement***

Started by cawimmer430, June 11, 2006, 06:08:39 AM

cawimmer430

Scanned this from one of the last issues of Auto Motor und Sport. I think the Cadillac BLS is a good-looking car (much better-looking than the CTS IMO), but with lame adverts like this, how does Cadillac hope to sell this thing?

Everything written in this ad sounds...well...LAME.  :(

"More than a car: a Cadillac" <--- Cliche, boring and overused. I could have sworn Kia or Honda had something similar at one point...

The longer text below talks about the BLS as being "powerful energy". Can someone enlighten us non-Trekkies what this is supposed to mean?

The BLS is a nice car, I really like it, but I simply find the advertisement to be boring and non-effective. It doesn't even look remotely interesting. The car and the background are virtually the same color meaning that there is no color contrast that could spark interest. If I were Cadillac, I'd dump the marketing company that made this and go for someone with something called "intelligent creativity".

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

280Z Turbo

It's a handsome car, but why would you buy it?

Raza

I've never seen a good BLS advert.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

What a dull, boring advertisement. Not distinctive in the slightest, terribly laid out, and the fusion of grey encourages people to simply turn the page.

:nono:

Run Away

Whenever I read "BLS" I think of Subway's BLT sub. :(

93JC

cawimmer430

QuoteI tend to think of bullshit. :lol:
Me too.  :P

But it's still a good-looking car IMO. If marketed properly, I think the baby Cadillac can be marginally successful, but Caddy needs to do much more to crack the Euro market.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

omicron

QuoteWhenever I read "BLS" I think of Subway's BLT sub. :(
I want bacon. Forget the lettuce and tomato  :praise:  

jadewolf123

QuoteWhenever I read "BLS" I think of Subway's BLT sub. :(
I want bacon. Forget the lettuce and tomato  :praise:
Do you want the sausage too fancypants? :lol:  
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Autobahn

Is the BLS on sale yet? Never seen one.

That said I saw ONE CTS on the road yet.

I think Cadillac should stay away from the German market. They seem to have a worse image than Lada here unfortunately.

Anyway, does it come in pink?  :lol: (I bet that 90% of the Germans think that Cadillacs come with huge fin tails and in pink  :P )

MX793

They should have gone with "The Cimarron Returns"
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

omicron

QuoteThey should have gone with "The Cimarron Returns"
*screams and runs crying from room*

Autobahn

QuoteThey should have gone with "The Cimarron Returns"
Nobody in Europe knows what a Cimarron is.

They should have gone with

"Elvis lives!" and a pink BLS beneath it. And then something like:
"If you think that Cadillacs are fin-tailed pink gas-guzzling monster-mobiles try the all-new Cadillac BLS. It's sporty, elegant fuel-efficient torquey Diesel engine provides power on the Autobahn as well as on the Highway while it's N?rburgring tuned chassis provides the feedback and direction needed for European roads.
Oh and yes, it comes in other colors than pink too!"

Cadillac BLS "Elvis edition" including a free IPOD with all Elvis songs and a free IPOD integration system."

You gotta catch people where their minds are.

@Cadillac, if anybody is reading this I am happy to sell you the idea for a weekend in an XLR.

ifcar

From Autoblog:

Despite lowering expectations for its Euro-only BLS sedan all the way down to around 7,000 to 10,000 units annually, it appears Cadillac was still a bit too optimistic with the car's chances for success in the old country. The FWD sedan that's based on the Saab 9-3 and built alongside the Swede in the company's Trollhatan factory has sold a little over 400 units after being on sale since April, with the month of May being its first full sales month. Trollhatan has slowed its production of the car down to 30 units a week. When the BLS launched the factory was producing that many cars per day. At this pace GM/Saab is on track to produce only 1,560 cars a year, a number well off any of GM's original targets. Despite the slow start, the BLS is still the best selling Cadillac in Europe so far this year. The BLS has also been fairly well received by the European automotive press and dealers are reporting many requests for test drives, so don't count out Cadillac's chances for success in Europe just yet.

Atomic

w/ all due respect, buddies from europe claim that the bts ads are standard fare in europe. they insist that our ads in the u.s. are too complex; and that the eupopean market embraces the cadillac ads there! i think they are right! afterall, this car is not sold in america. it's geared for countries over the pond. cadillac dealers in europe are content. that's all that matters, eh  :praise: ?!

cawimmer430

Quotew/ all due respect, buddies from europe claim that the bts ads are standard fare in europe. they insist that our ads in the u.s. are too complex; and that the eupopean market embraces the cadillac ads there! i think they are right! afterall, this car is not sold in america. it's geared for countries over the pond. cadillac dealers in europe are content. that's all that matters, eh  :praise: ?!
Actually, it's the opposite IMO. European car ads, especially German, are so complex, sometimes I have no idea what they're trying to say.

Mercedes' ads for example are full of long words that sound and look good, but convey little understandable information to the viewers. Visually though, they're usually interesting.

American car ads in my experience are simple, straight to the point and easy to understand and in the end, they're EFFECTIVE (something ads are supposed to do).  ;)  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

The recent Audi adverts I've seen are very simple.  Black car on a black page with few words.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.