***Mysterious Corvette***

Started by cawimmer430, June 12, 2006, 12:30:55 PM

cawimmer430

Spotted this up at the new car registration office. It's a Corvette, but what kind? Doesn't look like a Sting Ray to me. Doesn't even look like one of those Geiger Corvette's to me. What is it!?

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Run Away

That's a C3 Vette, it has a bunch of aftermarket body parts.
Hood, the front fenders and the rear fender flare/scoops with the moulded in spoiler are aftermarket. Looks like the rear fender flare is extended on the doors too.

MX793

Body kitted 3rd generation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Wow, it was so heavily modded I simply couldn't tell. I honestly was willing to bet it was a heavily modded, or even a REPLICA Corvette.  :D  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

It's the ugliest body kit I've ever seen for the Vette.

cawimmer430

QuoteIt's the ugliest body kit I've ever seen for the Vette.
You know how it isl...chicks dig shit like this.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

:lol:

My first thought when I opened this thread: Batmobile.

cawimmer430

:lol:

My first thought when I opened this thread: Batmobile.
"Does it come in black?"  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

You know how it isl...chicks dig shit like this.  :lol:
Not the chicks I know  :lol:  

280Z Turbo

Like I said before, "Sting Ray" or "Stingray" means no more than the X at the end of 280ZX or 300ZX. It's just a nick name that appeared in 1963 and disappeared in the mid 70s.

It appears to have the front bumper like the 1980-82 cars, but lacks the lip spoiler of those models. It's at least a '77, I know that.

I think I see a 25th anniversary badge on the fuel door, so it may be a '78.

MX793

QuoteLike I said before, "Sting Ray" or "Stingray" means no more than the X at the end of 280ZX or 300ZX. It's just a nick name that appeared in 1963 and disappeared in the mid 70s.

It appears to have the front bumper like the 1980-82 cars, but lacks the lip spoiler of those models. It's at least a '77, I know that.

"Sting Ray" and "Stingray" have a bit more meaning than that.  "Sting Ray" (two words) refers to a 2nd generation Corvette.  A "Stingray" (one word) is a 3rd generation car, as that label appeared on all 3rd gen cars except the 1968 model.  Those names do not, however, allude to any specific trim level or special performance package.

The tradition of calling Corvettes C1, C2, C3, etc... didn't start until after the C4 came out.  When GM designated the 4th generation Corvette "C4", people adopted a similar nomenclature to refer to the previous generations and GM continued the trend with the C5 and 6 generations.  Prior to the C# naming system, the 2nd generation was the Sting Ray and the 3rd gen was the Shark or Mako Shark (since its styling came from the Mako Shark concept).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

QuoteLike I said before, "Sting Ray" or "Stingray" means no more than the X at the end of 280ZX or 300ZX. It's just a nick name that appeared in 1963 and disappeared in the mid 70s.

"Sting Ray" and "Stingray" have a bit more meaning than that.  "Sting Ray" (two words) refers to a 2nd generation Corvette.  A "Stingray" (one word) is a 3rd generation car, as that label appeared on all 3rd gen cars except the 1968 model.  Those names do not, however, allude to any specific trim level or special performance package.

The tradition of calling Corvettes C1, C2, C3, etc... didn't start until after the C4 came out.  When GM designated the 4th generation Corvette "C4", people adopted a similar nomenclature to refer to the previous generations and GM continued the trend with the C5 and 6 generations.  Prior to the C# naming system, the 2nd generation was the Sting Ray and the 3rd gen was the Shark or Mako Shark (since its styling came from the Mako Shark concept).
Yep. This is from my dad's '63, the first year that the badge appeared.

The name came about, because Bill Mitchell had a shark mounted on his wall and wanted a car that looked just like a mean sea creature, I guess. The "Stingray" was replaced by crossed flags after Bill Mitchell retired from GM.

Some Corvette people actually consider the revamped 1958 model to be a second gen, but all "C1s" are grouped together because of their solid rear axle.

Autobahn

Corvette driver in Germany --> you know his profession  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Raghavan

Automatic Vette???
And that's a fugly POS. Sean, i love your Vette though.

JYODER240

Sean your dad has a '63 split-window :o  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

QuoteSean your dad has a '63 split-window :o
No, he doesn't have that silly thing impeding his rear vision. It's a convertible.

I wish it was a '65-67 because of the disc brakes.

To be honest, his Corvette is in rough shape, but it makes a really nice sound and looks good while in motion.

JYODER240

Thats too bad, you can get some big money for a split window.

I guy I used to work with had a friend than bought a split-window new in '63 and had it cut out when the '64 model came out without it :banghead:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

It raised the value back then!

Zora Arkus Duntov (cheif engineer) hated that thing, but Bill Mitchell (designer) had to have it.

He said something to the effect of: "If you don't have that split window, you might as well forget the whole damn thing"

Raza

QuoteAutomatic Vette???
Most Vettes are automatic.  Even Face's, I think.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

QuoteAutomatic Vette???
Most Vettes are automatic.  Even Face's, I think.
Through the 80s, the auto was the more popular transmission because the 4+3 manual wasn't well liked.  Autos were also popular with 70s Corvettes, but in the 70s, the Corvette had grown soft and didn't really appeal as much to the harder core sports car enthusiasts.  Even today, though, the automatic accounts for a large (if not slight majority) portion of sales.  So much so that the automatic is standard and the 6MT is an added cost option.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

Sadly it doesn't look too bad compared to some that i've seen(not in person).

Raza

I hesitate to admit it, but that's my car.  I'm the old white guy in the picture.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

QuoteCorvette driver in Germany --> you know his profession  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
PIMP  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

280Z Turbo

QuoteCorvette driver in Germany --> you know his profession  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I was thinking more along the lines of drug dealer.

If you drive a Corvette in America, you probably have a big gut, fat ass, gray hair, and a midlife crisis.

Raza

QuoteCorvette driver in Germany --> you know his profession  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

If you drive a Corvette in America, you probably have a big gut, fat ass, gray hair, and a midlife crisis.
Or a hot body and silicone breasts and blond hair in a bottle.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

QuoteCorvette driver in Germany --> you know his profession? :lol:? :lol:? :lol:

Well, in Germany, pimps tend to be both pimps and druggies / dealers.

Whores need some other forms of relief if you know what I mean.  :D  

www.wimmerfotografie.de