A Bit More on the Car Situation...

Started by Raza , June 14, 2006, 12:50:51 PM

Raza

I announced in the Chat that my father has decided on the 750i, but this all may be happening sooner than I thought (as well as later), and more than just that may be happening.

Yesterday, our 2002 S500 refused to work, so we had it jumped.  Then it worked!  We drove it home, and when my dad was taking it out to the dealership, the car died in motion, not two blocks from our house.  After spending three hours insisting on a new battery, we got it (at a cost of $300) and the car seemed to be working fine.  Then, this morning, Mercedes seems to think that they don't have to honor our warranty since we wanted the alternator checked, and told us not to drive the car, but then wouldn't tow.  Since we don't live inside a Mercedes dealership, this became an issue.  After plenty of yelling on the phone, they agreed to tow the car--it's still in the workshop.

My mom then prompted me to clean my dad's car so she could drive it (after I swayed her out of taking mine) and recently called on the phone, inspiring a replacement for the S320 yesterday--something smaller.

My dad thought about the C class, though now severely disillusioned by Mercedes, I told him that a woman who has driven an S500 for 4 years will not take to a C350 very well.  I gave it 6 months before she would start clambering for something else.  I thought the obvious choice would be a midsize car, and since still the prisoner of old habits, I called out the name of the E350, then E320 CDI, and then thought A6, 4.2 or 3.2, and I wanted some input from you fellows.  Chances are, whomever we buy this car from will get repeat sales as I would familially compelled to buy from the same place (hence my reliance on Auto Union and not BMW, for I could drive an A4, though I'd feel cold and soulless in a 330i).

Remember though, in the last 20 years or so, she's had an S500, a GS300, a 525i, and other cushy, luxury cars.  What do you think we ought to do?

Thanks!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

The Lexus LS430 isn't fun to drive, but excels at cushy luxury and costs a lot less than its similar competitors (less than an E500). If she does in fact want something a lot smaller than an older S-Class, how about an ES350 or Lucerne/DTS?

MX793

Have you considered the new Lexus GS?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Personally my favorite is the 530i sport, but for luxury/style I would say A6 3.2 Quattro.  :praise:  

Raza

QuoteHave you considered the new Lexus GS?
No.  I won't have that in my home.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteThe Lexus LS430 isn't fun to drive, but excels at cushy luxury and costs a lot less than its similar competitors (less than an E500). If she does in fact want something a lot smaller than an older S-Class, how about an ES350 or Lucerne/DTS?
My mother gawked at the idea of the A6.  She doesn't want an Audi.  She thinks it's a step down from Mercedes!  I tried, foolishly, to dissuade her from her foolish notion, and when pushed, she said she'd rather have a Saturn.  

The ES350, and all American cars are out of the question.  She seems set on wanting things they don't make.

I'm really disappointed in my mother.  Audi makes some of the best built and most stylish cars on the market.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuotePersonally my favorite is the 530i sport, but for luxury/style I would say A6 3.2 Quattro.  :praise:
Even the A6 4.2 isn't a stretch on the budgie--I ran lease quotes on a C350 Sport (6 speed) and an A6 4.2 (43K vs 66K), and the monthly payments, under the same conditions were astounding...C350 @ $930, and the A6 @ $985.

She'd also consider a CLK, but the 500 we built was running around $1030 a month, the CLS around $1200 (more than the 7er I built earlier for my dad).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

jadewolf123

I'd suggest a A8L but obviously she would shoot it down. How bout a E500 or a 750Li/i. A8 is my favorite and if she was even cooler shed drive a S8 :rockon: . But seeing as shes prejudiced against Audi's and youve had a bad MB experience the 7 series is your best bet. PLEASE ask her to test drive the Audi. She'll like it as soon as she starts er up.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Raza

QuoteI'd suggest a A8L but obviously she would shoot it down. How bout a E500 or a 750Li/i. A8 is my favorite and if she was even cooler shed drive a S8 :rockon: . But seeing as shes prejudiced against Audi's and youve had a bad MB experience the 7 series is your best bet. PLEASE ask her to test drive the Audi. She'll like it as soon as she starts er up.
I tried, I even showed her the A6 online.  The 7er would be for my dad, my mom wants something smaller than that.  Midsize sedans being the largest she'll go.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

jadewolf123

QuoteI'd suggest a A8L but obviously she would shoot it down. How bout a E500 or a 750Li/i. A8 is my favorite and if she was even cooler shed drive a S8 :rockon: . But seeing as shes prejudiced against Audi's and youve had a bad MB experience the 7 series is your best bet. PLEASE ask her to test drive the Audi. She'll like it as soon as she starts er up.
I tried, I even showed her the A6 online.  The 7er would be for my dad, my mom wants something smaller than that.  Midsize sedans being the largest she'll go.
Gotcha, in her case then what about a 6 series. I think shed do fine in a 646Ci, women love convertables.

MX793

Isn't this your mother's car?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

So everything is a step down from Mercedes, she won't tolerate stepping down, and your family no longer trusts Mercedes? Not a fun situation. I'd push Lexus, but Audi seems to be a lost cause. Maybe you can try recommending BMW, Acura, and Infiniti?

ifcar

And his parents' home?

jadewolf123

QuoteSo everything is a step down from Mercedes, she won't tolerate stepping down, and your family no longer trusts Mercedes? Not a fun situation. I'd push Lexus, but Audi seems to be a lost cause. Maybe you can try recommending BMW, Acura, and Infiniti?
Maybe its the best kind of situation. She should get a Maserati or a Aston Martin V8 Vantage. :blink:  :lol:  

SJ_GTI

Take your mom to see an A6 in person, she might change her mind. They are one of the best built cars, period. I doubt after seeing it in person she would think its a step down from anything...but you never know.

Why don't you want a GS in your house by the way? I would think the upcoming GS350 would be a nice choose as well.

And, maybe just check out a 525i/530i. Sure they are probably the more "sport oriented" of their class, but they are also extremely comfortable and work perfectly fine as luxury cars. They are overpriced compared to Audi/Lexus/Everyone but if prestige is a concern BMW should be fine. They also have free maintenance as part of their warranty which is always a nice plus.

SJ_GTI

PS. Your dad is getting a 750i? That should be a fun car. However I would have reccomended he check out an S6 or S8. Its what a real man would get.  :devil:  

FlatBlackCaddy

Were is all this best built crap coming from???

I mean granted they are fantastic cars, built to a higher standard than the average car, maybe i just read things differently. No i'm not just being a ass and audi hating.

Anyway i don't understand how lexus doesn't offer what she wants(or other non benz cars for that matter). Does she drive a manual, does she only order sport suspension packages?

Seriously she would probobly fit great with a V-8 GS, she can save a few bucks and not have to worry about all the bullshit she would have to go through owning a benz or audi.  

MX793

Anyway i don't understand how lexus doesn't offer what she wants(or other non benz cars for that matter). Does she drive a manual, does she only order sport suspension packages?

Seriously she would probobly fit great with a V-8 GS, she can save a few bucks and not have to worry about all the bullshit she would have to go through owning a benz or audi.
I don't think it's necessarily his mother who is opposed to a Lexus (although she might be).  Raza's got kind of a bias towards German cars and generally doesn't seem particularly enthralled with most Japanese cars as they are by and large "lacking in soul".
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

QuoteShe can save a few bucks and not have to worry about all the bullshit she would have to go through owning a ... audi.
Yes, because owning an Audi is such a trying experience. I had to deal with getting all maintenance for free (even small stuff like winshield wipers). And that one taillight bulb that went out...made the car undrivable! Oh woe is me. :(

:rolleyes:  

FlatBlackCaddy

ahh yes the soul, the only cars i ever hear that have soul tend to be the ones that have several problems. I guess what makes a car have soul is when the driver suffers through hard times(car won't run/work) and the good times(car runs/works properly). I admit i never felt a soul from any of my japanese cars, maybe because whenever i was in them i was to busy driving and i never had to spend a long night sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere while warming my hands over the shorting electrical circuit.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteShe can save a few bucks and not have to worry about all the bullshit she would have to go through owning a ... audi.
Yes, because owning an Audi is such a trying experience. I had to deal with getting all maintenance for free (even small stuff like winshield wipers). And that one taillight bulb that went out...made the car undrivable! Oh woe is me. :(

you cut out part of that sentence, the part about the benz???

seems like they are having a great time with the current one, and the problems may be the first but it only gets worse when the dealer wants to screw you around and try to charge for any repair.

I'm well aware of your fantastic audi ownership, and many others as well. I'm also aware of people who have had many problems only to be furthur enraged by the "premium" service offered by the dealer. My comment about the audi and benz brands were given within the context of the sentence, being compared to lexus. Lexus not only see's the least problems per vehicle compared to the other luxury makes, but also has some of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the business.

MX793

Quoteahh yes the soul, the only cars i ever hear that have soul tend to be the ones that have several problems. I guess what makes a car have soul is when the driver suffers through hard times(car won't run/work) and the good times(car runs/works properly). I admit i never felt a soul from any of my japanese cars, maybe because whenever i was in them i was to busy driving and i never had to spend a long night sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere while warming my hands over the shorting electrical circuit.
As I always like to say, saying that an inanimate object has charm, soul or character is just nice way of saying that it has flaws, quirks and problems.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

I cut out the part about the MB because:

1. They don't appear to be considering another MB
2. I have no experience MB's

So what would be the point of me mentioning it? Its not like Audi's are inherently more reliable or I was avoiding it because I had a bad experience with MB.

On the other hand Raza mentioned an A6 and I have experience with an A4 (both of which are on the same platform) as well as experience with Audi service.

As to your point...

I think you will find that Acura also ranks above Audi in both PPV and owner satisfaction, but the only person I know of that has an Acura has not been happy with the dealer (mainteance is not included and when she went to get an oil change they tried to sell her other service items) and the car has had more problems than my A4.

Apart from that I would never, ever reccomend someone to get a car they don't like simply because that brand has 2.1 PPV and the car they like has 3.4 PPV.

SJ_GTI

Quoteahh yes the soul, the only cars i ever hear that have soul tend to be the ones that have several problems. I guess what makes a car have soul is when the driver suffers through hard times(car won't run/work) and the good times(car runs/works properly). I admit i never felt a soul from any of my japanese cars, maybe because whenever i was in them i was to busy driving and i never had to spend a long night sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere while warming my hands over the shorting electrical circuit.
As I always like to say, saying that an inanimate object has charm, soul or character is just nice way of saying that it has flaws, quirks and problems.

FlatBlackCaddy

I thought thats about all his mom was considering, either another benz or possibly a BMW.

Maybe i read that wrong.

jadewolf123

I think that Raza doesn't like most Japanese cars because they are appliances. THE GS is in no way even close to being as good looking as a E class or A6. It is very comfortable reasonably powerful and decent gas mileage. But it is not a car to be lusted after, it is more of a car that a responsible person settles for.  

MX793

That's generally speaking, of course.  Mazda Miatas have soul and are plenty reliable.  Same could be said about old VW Bugs (granted, there isn't much to them to go wrong).  There are certainly cars with character that don't have mechanical problems.  However, if you compile the list of cars that are most often referred to as having charm, soul, and character, you'd have a list for which the majority of cars on it are notorious for not being the most reliable, flawless machines on the road.  Ferraris, classic British sports cars, Jags, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Lotuses....  
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Yes, that is true, but I doubt she'll want another Lexus.  Even she found our old GS boring.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteTake your mom to see an A6 in person, she might change her mind. They are one of the best built cars, period. I doubt after seeing it in person she would think its a step down from anything...but you never know.

Why don't you want a GS in your house by the way? I would think the upcoming GS350 would be a nice choose as well.

And, maybe just check out a 525i/530i. Sure they are probably the more "sport oriented" of their class, but they are also extremely comfortable and work perfectly fine as luxury cars. They are overpriced compared to Audi/Lexus/Everyone but if prestige is a concern BMW should be fine. They also have free maintenance as part of their warranty which is always a nice plus.
If the Audi is indeed a truly lost cause, I'll push the 550 or 650, or even the XJ8 SWB--that's in no way a step down from Mercedes.

Another thing about the GS is that it's almost as ugly as the new Civic, and I think the interior is terrible aesthetically.  

I am going to drag her to our closest Audi dealer to look at the A6.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Oh right...

It was the voltage regulator that went, and they covered the labor, parts, and tow.  I won't say all is well, but it's not as if we're on the same powder keg that we were on in the morning.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i