A Bit More on the Car Situation...

Started by Raza , June 14, 2006, 12:50:51 PM

MX793

QuoteTake your mom to see an A6 in person, she might change her mind. They are one of the best built cars, period. I doubt after seeing it in person she would think its a step down from anything...but you never know.

Why don't you want a GS in your house by the way? I would think the upcoming GS350 would be a nice choose as well.

And, maybe just check out a 525i/530i. Sure they are probably the more "sport oriented" of their class, but they are also extremely comfortable and work perfectly fine as luxury cars. They are overpriced compared to Audi/Lexus/Everyone but if prestige is a concern BMW should be fine. They also have free maintenance as part of their warranty which is always a nice plus.
If the Audi is indeed a truly lost cause, I'll push the 550 or 650, or even the XJ8 SWB--that's in no way a step down from Mercedes.

Another thing about the GS is that it's almost as ugly as the new Civic, and I think the interior is terrible aesthetically.  

I am going to drag her to our closest Audi dealer to look at the A6.
I think if you can get her to take a look at it, she may take a shining to the A6.  I rather like them myself.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuotePS. Your dad is getting a 750i? That should be a fun car. However I would have reccomended he check out an S6 or S8. Its what a real man would get.  :devil:
The S8 is probably more than what he wants to spend, and I don't think he wants a smaller car.   I already tried to get him into an A8, but he wasn't thrilled by it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

And for the record, I don't have anything against Japanese cars, but I do very muhc dislike Toyota.  And if my mom thinks an Audi is a step down, then I can't imagine what she'd say about an Acura or an Infiniti, and it's not like I'd suggest an RL anyway (though initially I was gung ho about a Q45....perhaps and M45x would be a possibility...).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

SJ_GTI

If the Audi is indeed a truly lost cause, I'll push the 550 or 650, or even the XJ8 SWB--that's in no way a step down from Mercedes.

If an XJ8 is in her price range I would suggest that!

I love the XJ. Fantastic car! My dream "big car" would be an XJR.  :praise:  

850CSi

XJ is a good idea.

Although, given the criteria (and if Mercedes wasn't out), it would be an easy choice for me:

850CSi

Quoteahh yes the soul, the only cars i ever hear that have soul tend to be the ones that have several problems. I guess what makes a car have soul is when the driver suffers through hard times(car won't run/work) and the good times(car runs/works properly). I admit i never felt a soul from any of my japanese cars, maybe because whenever i was in them i was to busy driving and i never had to spend a long night sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere while warming my hands over the shorting electrical circuit.
As I always like to say, saying that an inanimate object has charm, soul or character is just nice way of saying that it has flaws, quirks and problems.
So you really don't think your car has more soul than a Corolla?

ifcar

QuoteAnd for the record, I don't have anything against Japanese cars, but I do very muhc dislike Toyota.  And if my mom thinks an Audi is a step down, then I can't imagine what she'd say about an Acura or an Infiniti, and it's not like I'd suggest an RL anyway (though initially I was gung ho about a Q45....perhaps and M45x would be a possibility...).
If she'd consider an Infiniti, the M45 is a better car than the Q. Better ride and handling, and a nicer interior.  

jadewolf123

Hmmmm i do like me some 6 series, since Audi is a step down then how far down the pole are the Japanese makers?
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Submariner

If you're going to to the mercedes route...I would wait for the E-550, CDI (the new one) CLK-550, Or...one of my favorite vehicles ever built, the 2007 Gelaendewagen.  :praise:  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I can't believe someone can be so prejudiced and so stubborn.  I'm done trying to help her.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

QuoteI can't believe someone can be so prejudiced and so stubborn.  I'm done trying to help her.
Try dealing with my sisters ;)

My oldest one is considering a Solstice, but wont look at a Sky because its a Saturn :rolleyes:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

jadewolf123

QuoteI can't believe someone can be so prejudiced and so stubborn.  I'm done trying to help her.
Try dealing with my sisters ;)

My oldest one is considering a Solstice, but wont look at a Sky because its a Saturn :rolleyes:
DUH cars need to match outfits  
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

ifcar

QuoteI can't believe someone can be so prejudiced and so stubborn.  I'm done trying to help her.
So what did she decide on?

Run Away

QuoteI can't believe someone can be so prejudiced and so stubborn.  I'm done trying to help her.
So what did she decide on?
Probably the blue car.

MX793

Quoteahh yes the soul, the only cars i ever hear that have soul tend to be the ones that have several problems. I guess what makes a car have soul is when the driver suffers through hard times(car won't run/work) and the good times(car runs/works properly). I admit i never felt a soul from any of my japanese cars, maybe because whenever i was in them i was to busy driving and i never had to spend a long night sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere while warming my hands over the shorting electrical circuit.
As I always like to say, saying that an inanimate object has charm, soul or character is just nice way of saying that it has flaws, quirks and problems.
See my followup post to that.  "Soul" does not necessarily have to mean that there are flaws, but cars that are tempermental are typically characterized as having a soul or charm.  Styling that stirs up an emotional response (visual attitude) and an engaging driving experience would also, to me, characterize soul.  However, what really gives a car soul, in my book, are its flaws or anything that makes it unique from the rest.  The things I consider "character traits" of my car are, in fact, its flaws.  For instance, my car is the only 3s I've ever seen that didn't have chrome "2.3" badges on the front doors.  I suspect that was a booboo either on the manufacturer's part or the dealer's.  The flaw doesn't bother me one bit, as it helps make my car more unique than the others.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

850CSi

See my followup post to that.  "Soul" does not necessarily have to mean that there are flaws, but cars that are tempermental are typically characterized as having a soul or charm.  Styling that stirs up an emotional response (visual attitude) and an engaging driving experience would also, to me, characterize soul.  However, what really gives a car soul, in my book, are its flaws or anything that makes it unique from the rest.  The things I consider "character traits" of my car are, in fact, its flaws.  For instance, my car is the only 3s I've ever seen that didn't have chrome "2.3" badges on the front doors.  I suspect that was a booboo either on the manufacturer's part or the dealer's.  The flaw doesn't bother me one bit, as it helps make my car more unique than the others.
To me, your car has more soul than a Corolla ever will simply because it's not the automotive equivalent of a toaster.

Although I guess it's true that sometimes it is a nice way of characterizing flaws, but often also accompanied by other things you mentioned.

saxonyron

I know where your mom is coming from (although I am diametrically opposed to her POV  :lol:   .)  My very good friends insist on having 2 MB's - a C240 (Poseur!) and ML320.  To them, they know very little....OK, basically nothing about cars, but they know the 3 pointed star is top of the heap.  Any facts are irrelevant.  Your mom is from the generation that only knew Caddies and MB as being the pinnacle of automotive wonder.   Jags may fit that bill, too - so give it a shot.  If you try to persuade her and God forbid anything goes wrong or she doesn't like it after a month, you'll be persona non grata (or is that persona au gratin?).  It'll hurt like hell, but let her make her own decision cause anything else will just bite you in the ass.  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

850CSi

QuoteI know where your mom is coming from (although I am diametrically opposed to her POV  :lol:   .)  My very good friends insist on having 2 MB's - a C240 (Poseur!) and ML320.  To them, they know very little....OK, basically nothing about cars, but they know the 3 pointed star is top of the heap.  Any facts are irrelevant.  Your mom is from the generation that only knew Caddies and MB as being the pinnacle of automotive wonder.   Jags may fit that bill, too - so give it a shot.  If you try to persuade her and God forbid anything goes wrong or she doesn't like it after a month, you'll be persona non grata (or is that persona au gratin?).  It'll hurt like hell, but let her make her own decision cause anything else will just bite you in the ass.  :devil:
Ooooh man I know exactly what you're talking about.

My grandfather one time ranked the German marques. He was like Mercedes, Volkswagen, BMW, Opel, ..... Audi.

I'm like "Huh!?"

saxonyron

QuoteOoooh man I know exactly what you're talking about.

My grandfather one time ranked the German marques. He was like Mercedes, Volkswagen, BMW, Opel, ..... Audi.

I'm like "Huh!?"
VW then BMW??  Wow!  He's not the kind of guy you ask for recommendations when buying a car, eh?  Hell, prejudices are prejudices - they don't tie into reality, so in this case, it's best to back off and let the person get what'll make them happy - even if their happiness is based upon a hideous lie!  Ignorance is bliss, baby!   :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteOoooh man I know exactly what you're talking about.

I'm like "Huh!?"
VW then BMW??  Wow!  He's not the kind of guy you ask for recommendations when buying a car, eh?  Hell, prejudices are prejudices - they don't tie into reality, so in this case, it's best to back off and let the person get what'll make them happy - even if their happiness is based upon a hideous lie!  Ignorance is bliss, baby!   :rockon:
If you ask me, it's Porsche, Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, then Opel.  

:lol:

Anyway, after my prying and my dad's prying (explaining that Audi is a company with a great and storied history that had a few problems in the 80s) she's open to driving one.  But she still seems to think that a C class is a not a step down, and an Audi, any Audi, is.  I mean, she could go to an S8 or A8 W12 and still think it's below a C class.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

So the XJ is out of the running?  :(

I love that car.

Raza

It's still in the running, but an XJ8, not an XJR.  I've been trying to get my dad to try the XJR, but he's unwilling.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Your mom wants something comfy obviously.

-E320 CDI / E350 / E550

-GS300 / GS430

^My choices^
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

The trouble with a decision like this is that there are plenty of brilliant cars to choose from. Get the 750 and you miss out on an XJ; get an A6 4.2 and you miss out on an E550. Aside from cars that you definitely don't want, it's not so much a wrong decision that could be made; it's more of a less-preferable one in the worst-case scenario.

For your mother's purposes I'd be ushering her towards an XJ, an A6 4.2 quattro or an E550.  

JYODER240

When is the new E-class set to debut?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ifcar

It'll be awhile, they just gave it a facelift for 07. Maybe 2010?

TBR

So now we know where you get it from...

What does she think of the XJ? That would be my choice.

ifcar

So now we know where you get it from...
:D  

Raza

I think we can be fairly certain that any of my brand biases are not class based.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i