A Bit More on the Car Situation...

Started by Raza , June 14, 2006, 12:50:51 PM

Raza

QuoteThe trouble with a decision like this is that there are plenty of brilliant cars to choose from. Get the 750 and you miss out on an XJ; get an A6 4.2 and you miss out on an E550. Aside from cars that you definitely don't want, it's not so much a wrong decision that could be made; it's more of a less-preferable one in the worst-case scenario.

For your mother's purposes I'd be ushering her towards an XJ, an A6 4.2 quattro or an E550.
I've been disillusioned with Mercedes since I got my Volkswagen and saw just how good the Passat really is.  I wouldn't suggest the Mercedes to my parents at the moment, especially after the weaseling they did to try to get out of paying for the issues that were addressed--in the end, they did pay up, even covering the tow and the new battery.  

I still think the A6 4.2 is the way to go.  I don't know which way we can go.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

QuoteThe trouble with a decision like this is that there are plenty of brilliant cars to choose from. Get the 750 and you miss out on an XJ; get an A6 4.2 and you miss out on an E550. Aside from cars that you definitely don't want, it's not so much a wrong decision that could be made; it's more of a less-preferable one in the worst-case scenario.

For your mother's purposes I'd be ushering her towards an XJ, an A6 4.2 quattro or an E550.
I've been disillusioned with Mercedes since I got my Volkswagen and saw just how good the Passat really is.  I wouldn't suggest the Mercedes to my parents at the moment, especially after the weaseling they did to try to get out of paying for the issues that were addressed--in the end, they did pay up, even covering the tow and the new battery.  

I still think the A6 4.2 is the way to go.  I don't know which way we can go.
And having purchased the A6, you could well find yourself in an A4 3.2, Golf GTi or R32.  

Colonel Cadillac

Hah, my parents are the opposite. They will probably never buy a Mercedes because "only snobs drive them." Back in the day, I told them to try the E320 4matic wagon (when buying the Audi), and they hated it because it both sucked and was too snobish.

Sounds like you are stuck with BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar. Those are the only that fit your and your mother's criteria. BMW now might even be tough to push, because your mother might see a 550i as a step down from your father's 750Li.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteHah, my parents are the opposite. They will probably never buy a Mercedes because "only snobs drive them." Back in the day, I told them to try the E320 4matic wagon (when buying the Audi), and they hated it because it both sucked and was too snobish.
I'm the same way, and for the same reason I am really considering getting another A4. The 325i is a little more fun to drive but I kind of liked the anonymity of driving the A4 when I visited my parents. Literally no one else was driving one...it was great.

But I may still end up with the BMW. In the end I have to get the car I like, not the one that I think will be the best "image" car.

Raghavan

BENZ BOY15

I say your dad steps it up and gets a S550.  

Raghavan

Raza, have you asked her to at least test drive a G or a TL? OMG.

Raghavan

QuoteI say your dad steps it up and gets a S550.
Considering their S class just went down the shitter, i don't think they'd want a new one. :hammerhead:  

Raza

QuoteStill won't consider a G?
A G class?  That's not an option, she doesn't want an SUV.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Why is that?  It's a bigger, fatter, uglier, and more tech-laden version of what we have now.  My dad's considering two cars--the 750i and Flying Spur, that's it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

If I can't get her into an Audi, there's no way she'll drive an Acura, not that I'd push her to a TL anyway, considering it's not that great (I drove a 6 speed a while ago).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

G35?
No offense, but your mom is being a brand snob.
Just  buy her an Accent, go on eBay, get some Bentley or MB badges, stick 'em on, and she'll take it in a hearbeat probably. :lol:  

omicron

Why is that?  It's a bigger, fatter, uglier, and more tech-laden version of what we have now.  My dad's considering two cars--the 750i and Flying Spur, that's it.
You must forbid your father from buying a Flying Spur. Allow him to fiddle about with the Bentley configurator, yes. But no purchasing :nono:

BENZ BOY15

The new S is techno loaded, but the flying spur and the 7-series are not? Hmmm....

If she's getting a Bentley, get an Arnage. No techno garbage, just a stunning car:

Raghavan

The new S is techno loaded, but the flying spur and the 7-series are not? Hmmm....

If she's getting a Bentley, get an Arnage. No techno garbage, just a stunning car:

His dad is the one getting the car, and that's a lot more than the Flying Spur too. Very beautiful though. The Flying Spur looks like a turd in comparison.

Raza

G35?
No offense, but your mom is being a brand snob.
Just  buy her an Accent, go on eBay, get some Bentley or MB badges, stick 'em on, and she'll take it in a hearbeat probably. :lol:
She is being a brand snob.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Your best shot would be a 530i or a E320 CDI or something.

Colonel Cadillac

Hell, if the Flying Spur is being considered, push that. Those are cool...really long though.

Colonel Cadillac

Raghaven, the G35 is not a small step down from an S500, but quite a big one. The S500 is around $100,000 (relatively optioned out), and the G35 is like $35,000. That is a big difference.  

Raghavan

QuoteRaghaven, the G35 is not a small step down from an S500, but quite a big one. The S500 is around $100,000 (relatively optioned out), and the G35 is like $35,000. That is a big difference.
I know, but Raza said she wants a smaller car, so like a 5 series. The G is a big as the 5, and i'm telling him to tell her to at least test drive it. Eliminating a car from your buyers list just because of its brand is just stupid when you're considering mainstream models.

Raza

QuoteHell, if the Flying Spur is being considered, push that. Those are cool...really long though.
I don't want him to get one.  As much as I like Volkswagen, the new Flying Spur is (less so than the GT) just too nouveau.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

I've seen so many GT's so far. They're like the Camry and Accord of the exotics. Too popular.

Raza

QuoteRaghaven, the G35 is not a small step down from an S500, but quite a big one. The S500 is around $100,000 (relatively optioned out), and the G35 is like $35,000. That is a big difference.
I know, but Raza said she wants a smaller car, so like a 5 series. The G is a big as the 5, and i'm telling him to tell her to at least test drive it. Eliminating a car from your buyers list just because of its brand is just stupid when you're considering mainstream models.
What mainstream model is she considering?  She won't even have an Audi--the Infiniti, is most definitely out of the question, considering the more than relative lack of luxury, the lack of a snobbish badge, its lack of rarity, and the fact that the Infiniti dealerships are geographically remote compared to our location.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

What mainstream model is she considering?  She won't even have an Audi--the Infiniti, is most definitely out of the question, considering the more than relative lack of luxury, the lack of a snobbish badge, its lack of rarity, and the fact that the Infiniti dealerships are geographically remote compared to our location.
Mainstream as in not exotic.

93JC

QuoteI know, but Raza said she wants a smaller car, so like a 5 series. The G is a big as the 5, and i'm telling him to tell her to at least test drive it. Eliminating a car from your buyers list just because of its brand is just stupid when you're considering mainstream models.
Yes, yes it is.

Raza

Your definition of mainstream is too all-encompassing.  According to that, a 100K Mercedes is mainstream.  

This goes back to the issue I brought up earlier--there are no high luxury small cars.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Your definition of mainstream is too all-encompassing.  According to that, a 100K Mercedes is mainstream.  

This goes back to the issue I brought up earlier--there are no high luxury small cars.
How small are you talking?  I'd consider the Audi A3 to be pretty luxurious.  Unless you mean that there are no smaller cars that offer the same level of luxury as an S class or 7 series.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

QuoteI know, but Raza said she wants a smaller car, so like a 5 series. The G is a big as the 5, and i'm telling him to tell her to at least test drive it. Eliminating a car from your buyers list just because of its brand is just stupid when you're considering mainstream models.
Yes, yes it is.
I've already said that, it's a point we all can agree on.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

How small are you talking?  I'd consider the Audi A3 to be pretty luxurious.  Unless you mean that there are no smaller cars that offer the same level of luxury as an S class or 7 series.
That's what I mean.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

QuoteLiterally no one else was driving one...it was great.
That is so not the case around here... A4s are all over the place.