Mercury Dealers Get Ready for Mariner Hybrid

Started by BMWDave, May 06, 2005, 04:54:09 PM

BMWDave

Mercury Dealers Ready For New Mariner Hybrid

Featured Stories

Press Releases
By: Jon Hewett | Ford Communications Network

Mercury dealers across the country have started preparing for the upcoming launch of the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. For more information on Mariner Hybrid, visit mercuryvehicles.com.
DEARBORN, Mich., May 3, 2005 -- With production plans pulled ahead one year in response to growing customer interest in hybrid gasoline-electric powertrains, Lincoln Mercury dealers have started preparing for the upcoming launch of the 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid compact SUV.
Over 80 percent of "stand alone" Lincoln Mercury dealers and more than 800 dual dealerships (Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers) have already registered for sales and service training ahead of this fall's Mariner Hybrid launch. Formal training, along with details on vehicle pricing, will begin next month.

"The Hybrid will create significant 'buzz' while also reinforcing Mercury's repositioning as a younger, more forward thinking brand," said Laura Soave Stoppa, marketing manager, Mariner Hybrid. "Analysts predict that by the year 2010 there will be more than 50 hybrid vehicles available. Customers who are interested in buying one, a group we like to call 'influentials,' are definitely looking at how they can better the environment and do their part for a better world. But these consumers are not willing to sacrifice their core needs and wants in a vehicle. That is why the Mariner Hybrid is such a good platform. It can carry five people, it has off-road capability and with the four-wheel-drive system you can tow with it."

Sharing the same advanced technology that earned the Escape Hybrid the 2005 North American Truck of the Year Award, the Mariner Hybrid will utilize a 2.3-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine and two AC electric motors that provide both motor and generator functions. It also will utilize 250 D-size nickel-metal hydride batteries in a compact, rear-mounted package.

Configured as a full hybrid, the powertrain is able to propel the Mariner to 25 miles per hour solely with clean electric power. Overall fuel economy ratings for the Mariner Hybrid are 33 mpg in the city and 29 mpg on the highway.

Despite limited launch volumes, consumer anticipation for hybrid technology is growing. At Varsity Lincoln Mercury in Novi, Michigan, customers have already inquired about the upcoming Mariner Hybrid launch.

"We have already seen a significant interest," said Dean Silver, general sales manager at Varsity Lincoln Mercury. "I believe the price of oil is here to stay. That, combined with environmental concerns among customers and the general marketing and media hype around hybrids, this is a very important vehicle to us."

The Mariner Hybrid will be built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant (KCAP) in Claycomo, Mo., alongside its sister vehicle, the Ford Escape Hybrid.

"What we're finding with the Escape Hybrid is that 60 percent of the people that are buying this vehicle didn't have a Ford Motor Company product before that, so there is a real opportunity to conquer some new customers," said Mary Ann Wright, director, Hybrid Program. "We're working right now trying to determine what that right volume capacity is for the Mariner Hybrid. We'll continue to watch what is going on out in the market to better prepare ourselves for the demand. Because, frankly, we underestimated the demand for the Escape Hybrid."

The Mariner Hybrid is one of four additional new hybrid vehicles that Ford Motor Company will introduce over the next three years, including the Mazda Tribute Hybrid, the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Mercury Milan Hybrid.

Launched last year, the base Mariner compact sport utility vehicle has helped spur a 17 percent sales increase for the Mercury brand. In fact, Mariner (3,053 units) posted its best sales month ever in March, while continuing to bring more new customers into Mercury showrooms than anticipated.

"Forty-six percent of the customers that are driving away in a Mariner have never owned a Lincoln Mercury product before," said Soave Stoppa. "We've never had a product in the showroom that's been able to do that. Our take rate on females is also about 48 percent, which is terrific."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Laconian

LOAD escape_pr.doc
FIND Ford REPLACE WITH Mercury
FIND Escape REPLACE WITH Mariner
SEND TO PRESS
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colonel Cadillac

This should boost Mercury's image and keep them alive for awhile longer. This will be a good tool against the Highlander Hybrid.  

Speed_Racer

This is a good idea, but I really wish that Mercury could get something unique to their brand. Everything they offer is just a tarted-up Ford. That's fine and all, but its not a way to establish a brand Identity.

Laconian

Exactly. The way Ford handles Mercury these days I see no point to their existence.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BMWDave

QuoteExactly. The way Ford handles Mercury these days I see no point to their existence.
I believe that soon they are trying to change that.  Look at the new Milan...thats a great step in a new direction!

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteThis is a good idea, but I really wish that Mercury could get something unique to their brand. Everything they offer is just a tarted-up Ford. That's fine and all, but its not a way to establish a brand Identity.
Mercury can not only give people looking at Fords another option if they like a car except for its styling, and gives Lincoln dealers additional, and much-needed sales volume. It's doing fine, even as it only uses modified Fords.

BMWDave

QuoteThis is a good idea, but I really wish that Mercury could get something unique to their brand. Everything they offer is just a tarted-up Ford. That's fine and all, but its not a way to establish a brand Identity.
Mercury can not only give people looking at Fords another option if they like a car except for its styling, and gives Lincoln dealers additional, and much-needed sales volume. It's doing fine, even as it only uses modified Fords.
Thtey are posting large sales increases I believe for the last few months.  Like 11%.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Thtey are posting large sales increases I believe for the last few months.  Like 11%.
Considering that they introduced a new vehicle, gains would be expected as long as at least on person bought one and the other products' sales remained the same.  ;)  

BMWDave

Considering that they introduced a new vehicle, gains would be expected as long as at least on person bought one and the other products' sales remained the same.  ;)
true B)  

2007 Honda S2000