Ford GT

Started by TurboDan, May 24, 2005, 11:16:41 AM

TurboDan

Saw my first Ford GT speeding by today.  I was waiting to cross a street and a young guy was driving it.  It was silver, and had custom rims.  The engine/exhaust sounded SPECTACULAR on this thing, and I really liked the design on the street as much as I did at the auto show.

If you've got the cash, this might just be the new sports car to have.  Move over 'Vette!  :rockon:  

Raza

I've not seen one in motion, but I did see one at the PIAS a ways back.  Beautiful car, stupid name.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

What's wrong with the name, Raza? <_<   It's based on the Ford GT40 from the 60's or whatever...so...yeah.  :P   I can't wait to see one in person...I wonder when that will be....  :(  

ifcar

It would no doubt be as popular as the Vette if it didn't cost close to four times as much.  

mazda6er

QuoteIt would no doubt be as popular as the Vette if it didn't cost close to four times as much.
In reality, wouldn't it be wise for Ford to make a Corvette-fighter? It could be a (much) sportier replacement for the slipping (and outgoing) Ford Thunderbird.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

QuoteIt would no doubt be as popular as the Vette if it didn't cost close to four times as much.
In reality, wouldn't it be wise for Ford to make a Corvette-fighter? It could be a (much) sportier replacement for the slipping (and outgoing) Ford Thunderbird.
That's a great idea...What would it be based on?  Mustang or GT platform?  Maybe they'd make an all new car and platform!  :praise:  

ifcar

That's a great idea...What would it be based on?  Mustang or GT platform?  Maybe they'd make an all new car and platform!  :praise:
Too expensive, not enough potential. Chevrolet doesn't have a Mustang fighter, and Ford doesn't have a Corvette fighter. Chevrolet itself found that it was unable to support both in its lineup, and with the Mustang going after heritage-seeking older buyers as well as younger ones now, one car would cannibalize the other in going after midlife-crisis buyers.

giant_mtb

Umm...what's a mid-life crisis buyer?

mazda6er

Too expensive, not enough potential. Chevrolet doesn't have a Mustang fighter, and Ford doesn't have a Corvette fighter. Chevrolet itself found that it was unable to support both in its lineup, and with the Mustang going after heritage-seeking older buyers as well as younger ones now, one car would cannibalize the other in going after midlife-crisis buyers.
Chevy is making a new Camaro... but you're probably right, the platforms that Ford currently has in use aren't really suited for the purpose of building a Corvette-like car, and I can't imagine them making a new one just for this application. Wishful thinking I suppose.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

Well Ford already has the Ferrari slayer... :P   Will the new Mustang GT500 or the Saleen Mustang compete with the Vette?  Or are they not fast enough?  Because I think they're pretty similarly priced...? (I don't know the performance numbers of them, so that's why I'm asking)

ifcar

QuoteUmm...what's a mid-life crisis buyer?
Middle-aged male buyer, late 40s/mid-to-early 50s. Wants a cool car to feel young again. Kids have moved out, so practicality isn't an issue. Has a good job, so he can afford a nice one.

The Corvette is a very common car for that type of buyer, and the new Mustang is increasing its popularity there as well.  

ifcar

QuoteWell Ford already has the Ferrari slayer... :P   Will the new Mustang GT500 or the Saleen Mustang compete with the Vette?  Or are they not fast enough?  Because I think they're pretty similarly priced...? (I don't know the performance numbers of them, so that's why I'm asking)
A high-end Mustang just isn't the same as a Corvette, regardless of price or actual capability. Neither of those vehicles (GT500 or Saleen) will ever match the sales of the more-expensive Corvette, nor will they attract the same type of buyers.  

mazda6er

QuoteUmm...what's a mid-life crisis buyer?
Middle-aged male buyer, late 40s/mid-to-early 50s. Wants a cool car to feel young again. Kids have moved out, so practicality isn't an issue. Has a good job, so he can afford a nice one.

The Corvette is a very common car for that type of buyer, and the new Mustang is increasing its popularity there as well.
I plan on a new, red Corvette being my "all the kids have left the house" present to myself, when I reach that point.  :praise:  

A long ways off though...
--Mark

BMWDave

I saw one back last August...boy did it look good.  It was driving up the highway.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...