Chevy Equinox commercial

Started by mazda6er, May 24, 2005, 12:49:26 PM

mazda6er

Has anyone else seen the recent Chevy commercial in which the Equinox is compared to the Lexus RX330? The announcer praises the Equinox's better fuel economy and rear seat leg room advantage over the Lexus, all working up to "and the Equniox is $11,000 less..."

These are mostly true, but Chevy can't expect to steal customers, however uninformed they may be, from Lexus, can they? To me it's just ridiculous. For the record, the fuel economy advantage is virtually non-existent, depending on the source.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

The Phantom

Oh, I don't know.  I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

93JC

QuoteOh, I don't know.  I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.
:rockon:  

mazda6er

QuoteOh, I don't know.  I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.
The Lexus may be overpriced, and in my opinion, the Equinox isn't a bad car, however it could never hope to compete with the RX330 in terms of refinement, amenities, etc. The only advantage of the Equinox is price and (arguably) exterior styling. My point is that no one in the market for a Lexus will see this commercial and say to themselves, "Oh crap, the Equinox has more rear-seat legroom, better go buy one!"  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteOh, I don't know.  I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.
The Lexus may be overpriced, and in my opinion, the Equinox isn't a bad car, however it could never hope to compete with the RX330 in terms of refinement, amenities, etc. The only advantage of the Equinox is price and (arguably) exterior styling. My point is that no one in the market for a Lexus will see this commercial and say to themselves, "Oh crap, the Equinox has more rear-seat legroom, better go buy one!"
It is very easy for a mainstream car to have traits better than a car $11,000 more. But no one at all will cross-shop the vehicles anyway.

Chevrolet isn't trying to steal RX330 customers here. They're trying to impress mainstream customers by associating the Equinox with a luxury vehicle.  

mazda6er

QuoteOh, I don't know.? I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.
It is very easy for a mainstream car to have traits better than a car $11,000 more. But no one at all will cross-shop the vehicles anyway.

Chevrolet isn't trying to steal RX330 customers here. They're trying to impress mainstream customers by associating the Equinox with a luxury vehicle.
good point.
--Mark

BMWDave

QuoteOh, I don't know.? I think the uninformed one would be the one paying $40k for an oversized Toyota station wagon.

Thats really what it is...I saw a Subaru STi ad where it said it was faster than a Maserati...its the same idea, trying to associate your lower end car with a high end one.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Secret Chimp

There's also an Ion Red Line commercial with the line "Why would I want to pay more for a BMW Z4 (2.5i) if it's slower?"
Just missing the point. Making people more inclined to buy the Saturn rather than less inclined to buy a BMW, because really, what person cross-shops brands like that?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Tom

It's not an effort to take away Lexus buyers, but an effort to attract Lexus-wanters.

Raghavan

QuoteIt's not an effort to take away Lexus buyers, but an effort to attract Lexus-wanters.
What he said.