New R&T Comparo

Started by BMWDave, May 24, 2005, 04:20:51 PM

BMWDave

QuoteYou're acting like there is a significant difference between the level of sport found in the BMW vs. the Infiniti, which there really isn't.
Uh, yeah there is...

The 545i is 200 lbs. lighter, is available with a manual transmission, has better weight distribution, and is smaller in every dimension.
If you think that degree of sport is based on dimensions, then you just need to pull up a spec sheet on all three cars.  :rolleyes:
200 lbs, transmission, and weight distribution are all huge factors.
Obviously, they are not the only important factors, otherwise there would be no need to actually DRIVE a car to see how it drives.
What do you think makes it drive like it drives?  Steering feel and ratio?  Maybe thats one thing, but the four factors Faris mentioned are tremendous factors that affect a car's driving abilities.
Of course they are. But if they represented every aspect of handling, then no one would have to conduct handling tests. Just the same as the way that engine power specs, even combined with vehicle weight, can't accurately measure acceleration.
But we agree that they are extemely important factors.  What do you think a person senses when he drives the car?  Its all these factors coming together in a cohesive package.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteYou're acting like there is a significant difference between the level of sport found in the BMW vs. the Infiniti, which there really isn't.
Uh, yeah there is...

The 545i is 200 lbs. lighter, is available with a manual transmission, has better weight distribution, and is smaller in every dimension.
If you think that degree of sport is based on dimensions, then you just need to pull up a spec sheet on all three cars.  :rolleyes:
Obviously, they are not the only important factors, otherwise there would be no need to actually DRIVE a car to see how it drives.
What do you think makes it drive like it drives?  Steering feel and ratio?  Maybe thats one thing, but the four factors Faris mentioned are tremendous factors that affect a car's driving abilities.
Of course they are. But if they represented every aspect of handling, then no one would have to conduct handling tests. Just the same as the way that engine power specs, even combined with vehicle weight, can't accurately measure acceleration.
But we agree that they are extemely important factors.  What do you think a person senses when he drives the car?  Its all these factors coming together in a cohesive package.
Of course they are important factors, but they aren't the only factors. There are simply too many different variables that can effect the handling ability of a car for anyone to determine which one handles better by spec sheet only.  As heavy as these cars are, I really don't think 200 lbs probably makes that much of a difference.

BMWDave

Uh, yeah there is...

Of course they are important factors, but they aren't the only factors. There are simply too many different variables that can effect the handling ability of a car for anyone to determine which one handles better by spec sheet only.  As heavy as these cars are, I really don't think 200 lbs probably makes that much of a difference.
The less mass, the better the handling, usually.  200 pounds is a lot!

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

i don't think people will be nitpicking for 200lbs and steering feel in a sport luxury sedan...

SJ_GTI

Quotei don't think people will be nitpicking for 200lbs and steering feel in a sport luxury sedan...
I wouldn't nitpick 200lbs, but steering feel I would definitely nitpick.

Raghavan

Quotei don't think people will be nitpicking for 200lbs and steering feel in a sport luxury sedan...
I wouldn't nitpick 200lbs, but steering feel I would definitely nitpick.
that's because you are a car enthusiast. Most drivers aren't. And the kind of person who buys these cars are people looking for prestige, and luxury more than sport.

850CSi

Uh, yeah there is...

Okay. And with those factors, the 5-Series is also KNOWN to be more precise and have overall better steering.

My entire point was that the level of sport IS very different in the M45 and the 545.

850CSi

Some of you are saying that the 200lbs aren't a big deal. Trust me, you'd notice that an M35 would likely feel a lot lighter on its feet than an M45.

This is especially important because of the M45's weight distrubution when compared with the 5.

When you do the math, as far as weight goes, the M45 is basically a 5-Series with nearly 200lbs. put on the front axle.

Personally speaking, I don't like that fact, especially when I think that the 545 is already way too heavy.

SJ_GTI

QuoteSome of you are saying that the 200lbs aren't a big deal. Trust me, you'd notice that an M35 would likely feel a lot lighter on its feet than an M45.

This is especially important because of the M45's weight distrubution when compared with the 5.

When you do the math, as far as weight goes, the M45 is basically a 5-Series with nearly 200lbs. put on the front axle.

Personally speaking, I don't like that fact, especially when I think that the 545 is already way too heavy.
I totally agree with you, which is why if I was buying a car in this class (size) my first choice would be a 530i sport. Under 3500 lbs.

Heck, even the new 525i would be tempting. 3400 lbs and 215 HP is not a bad or slow combination.

ifcar

Uh, yeah there is...

Okay. And with those factors, the 5-Series is also KNOWN to be more precise and have overall better steering.

My entire point was that the level of sport IS very different in the M45 and the 545.
R/T would disagree with you that the levels of sport are "very" different, and they're the ones making the order:

"Our blasts through Death Valley confirm this, the Infiniti cornering confidently without ever losing ground to the BMW. It still lacks the 545i's trademark handling crispness and communicative steering feel, but it's by no means far behind."

Raghavan

Uh, yeah there is...

R/T would disagree with you that the levels of sport are "very" different, and they're the ones making the order:

"Our blasts through Death Valley confirm this, the Infiniti cornering confidently without ever losing ground to the BMW. It still lacks the 545i's trademark handling crispness and communicative steering feel, but it's by no means far behind."
BMW is no longer the world-class performer in handling, etc. they may be the best, but other rivals are catching up quickly.

Raza

Uh, yeah there is...

BMW is no longer the world-class performer in handling, etc. they may be the best, but other rivals are catching up quickly.
And BMW will sit idly by as its competitors close in... :rolleyes:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Uh, yeah there is...

The less mass, the better the handling, usually.  200 pounds is a lot!
Sorry, but I don't think 200 lbs is going to make that much of a difference when we are comparing a 3800 lb car to a 4000 lb one.  

850CSi

QuoteSome of you are saying that the 200lbs aren't a big deal. Trust me, you'd notice that an M35 would likely feel a lot lighter on its feet than an M45.

I totally agree with you, which is why if I was buying a car in this class (size) my first choice would be a 530i sport. Under 3500 lbs.

Heck, even the new 525i would be tempting. 3400 lbs and 215 HP is not a bad or slow combination.
A 530i would be my choice. The 545 is way too heavy IMO.

Raza

A 530i would be my choice. The 545 is way too heavy IMO.
A 530i with an AA supercharger? Wot!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Uh, yeah there is...

they won't sit idly, but their rivals are coming faster and faster.

Raza

Uh, yeah there is...

If Infiniti still wants to play the number game, I've seen the old 330Ci match the 280HP G35 coupe.  I can't even imagine how strongly the new 330i will decimate the G35.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Uh, yeah there is...

If Infiniti still wants to play the number game, I've seen the old 330Ci match the 280HP G35 coupe.  I can't even imagine how strongly the new 330i will decimate the G35.
I guess Infiniti fails to realize that HP is not the factor that determines a sport car.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Uh, yeah there is...

i mean in handling. any company can bolt on more hp and make a car go faster.

TBR

Raza, keep in mind that the G35 is nearing the end of its product cycle while the E90 is just beginning its cycle.  

850CSi

QuoteRaza, keep in mind that the G35 is nearing the end of its product cycle while the E90 is just beginning its cycle.
The G35 still has a good 2-3 years for its product cycle.

And what are they gonna do, give it a V8?

I'm still trying to figure out why the damn thing weighs more than a 530i.

Raghavan

QuoteRaza, keep in mind that the G35 is nearing the end of its product cycle while the E90 is just beginning its cycle.

because it's probably BIGGER than a 530i?

850CSi

QuoteA 530i with an AA supercharger? Wot!
What about a 325i... !!!???

That would be crazy...

Think, Raza... 3200 lbs... and 310HP...

It could all be done for under $40K...

850CSi

Not Even close. The 5er is a good amount larger in every dimension.

Raghavan

QuoteA 530i with an AA supercharger? Wot!
What about a 325i... !!!???

That would be crazy...

Think, Raza... 3200 lbs... and 310HP...

It could all be done for under $40K...
its not all about hp. :lol:  

Raghavan

:shrugs: it always seemed to me that BMW's were always one class higher than they should be size-wise.

BMWDave

:shrugs: it always seemed to me that BMW's were always one class higher than they should be size-wise.
The 5er is bigger in every respect than the G35, but extensive use of lightweigh materials keep the weight down.  BMW now seems the most concerned about keeping weight down.  A lot of their cars are lighter than the previous version, or only have minor weight gains.  The 5, and Z4, to name a few, are lighter than their predecesors.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

No, they will make it more refined with a higher quality interior and a better ride. Also, I think it is time you shut up about the G35's weight since it is only 100 lb heavier than the considerably smaller 330i.