***2006 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI 4Matic***

Started by cawimmer430, July 06, 2006, 09:26:18 AM

cawimmer430

Went up to the Benz dealership today in the hopes of driving the new facelifted W211 E-Class. Sadly, all two models they had were booked so I had no choice but to drive the R-Class, an AWD R320 CDI 4Matic. I'm not crazy about the R-Class, but I was dying to try one. Here?s the review.  B)

I have to say it: This thing doesn't look too bad in real life. Us Europeans get the SWB version as standard and the car is still within reasonable proportions. That is to say it is still a big car, but in that borderline area. Parking though, will still be hard to find in bigger cities with such a beast. I used to hate the R-Class, and I still sort of do, but it looks better than in the pictures. The R-Class looks pretty dynamic in reality.

The interior is well constructed and presents a quality feel as well. Personally, I would have preferred lighter colors to this R-Classes? dark interior. The ergonomics are pretty good with everything within easy reach of the driver. My only problem was that you couldn?t see the hood. It?s the same deal on the A and B-Classes. This means that you need to buy Parktronic if you don?t want scratches upfront. Another important aspect is interior space. Wow! This thing wasn?t short on that. Once you open the door and hop in, you feel like you?re in space. I didn?t sit in the back and check the leg space etc., but the whole car looked very roomy. Furthermore, once you removed those extra seats in the trunk, it looked like you actually will have a respectable luggage space.

Preheating the engine took less than 2 seconds and the 3.0 V6 CDI engine rumbled to life with a quiet purr and then settled down into a soft whisper, like on the ML320 CDI. You couldn?t hear it from the drivers seat. Vibrations were hard to detect as well. Not bad not bad. Even while cold, the R320 CDI 4Matic felt eager and responsive. I drove around for a few minutes to get the engine warmed up for some abusing.

Initial impressions were so-so. This is a European spec R-Class, which means it should be sportier than the watered-down American versions. Well, the steering was pretty light and didn?t offer too much direct feedback. From a sports point of view, disappointing. I did however expect this. On the bright side, the steering may have been vague, but the front wheels reacted quickly to input. Furthermore, the suspension was quite stiff. I was expecting the 2,220 kg R320 CDI 4Matic to handle like a boat: surprisingly, it didn?t. This isn?t a sporty car, but for agile and fluid driving, the R-Class impressed me with its ease of handling and control. It still felt like a large car, but it did handle somewhat like a smaller car, almost like an E-Class. Body roll was surprisingly limited, which means that in curves, the R-Class didn?t lean over as much as could be expected. Best of all, the R320 CDI 4Matic felt safe and solid on the roads. Oh, and the seats were some of the most comfortable seats I?ve ever experienced in a Mercedes-Benz ? perfect for long distance driving. What they did lack was enough side support, but since your average R-Class owner won?t be taking it on the track, I don?t think this matters (and there is always the pointless R63 AMG).

Many of you are probably thinking that 224-horsepower and 510 Nm (376 lb/ft) are ?completely underpowered? for such a car. How wrong you are. The R320 CDI 4Matic is a powerful ride. 0-100 km/h takes 8.7 seconds according to Mercedes-Benz, which is pretty quick. Midrange power was perfectly adequate for quick overtaking maneuvers. Underpowered? Hell no. And best of all, the diesel R320 CDI kills the R350 and totally pointless R500 and R63 AMG in fuel economy. There was also a nice shove-back when you punched the pedal, thanks to the diesel torque reserves.

The 7Gtronic transmission was as usual excellent. I didn?t feel or hear any shifts. The only way you could tell was by watching the RPM needle flutter up and then down. There were two buttons on the steering wheel where one could manually change gears, but I found them to be useless as the transmission was simply so good.

Overall? Not bad. I was pleasantly surprised by the R-Class. It?s clearly a family-oriented car for vacations and longer distances because of the driving qualities and the generous interior space. Comfort and safety are the top priorities, not sport. Despite this, I found the European R-Class to be just capable enough for fluid driving here in the countryside. 4Matic is a bonus too.

On the downside, it is expensive, the design is subjective, it?s not that fuel-efficient despite the 3.0 V6 CDI engine and for Europe, still a relatively big car. If I was a daddy (I hope this never happens!), I?d opt for an M-Class, GL-Class or an E-Class Estate (all with the ?320 CDI engine).

Expect a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E220 CDI W211 (Facelift) testdrive soon!  ;)

Wimmer's R320 CDI 4Matic 0-62 mph Video: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/cawi...ticVideo_01.flv

2006 Mercedes-Benz R320 CDI 4Matic Photo Album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2104506568

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

The wonders of diesels...torque.

The more I see of the R class, the more I detest it.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

QuoteThe wonders of diesels...torque.

The more I see of the R class, the more I detest it.
I have a feeling the R350 will be dangerously underpowered because the torque that engine puts out is not adequate enough for such a heavy car. Gimme the R320 CDI over all off them.

But I really want an ML320 CDI or E320 CDI.  :praise:  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

I think the R Class actually looks pretty good now that I see about 20 every day.  Its a very classy looking minivan, so to speak.  It definitely ahs presence.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

It waters down the Mercedes-Benz image in the United States. The fact that it's a minivan just is bad.  

ifcar

It's a GL that's shaped differently. Hardly a minivan.

cawimmer430

Well, I can't wait to drive the new E-Class. The R-Class was fun, but I'd never get one. Though I have to admit I do see the appeal. As a family car, this thing definitely rocks.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raghavan

I still think it looks like ass. In fact, it looks so bad that your great pictures are ruined since this thing is in it.
The CDI engine is great though.
Great pics and review though.

cawimmer430

QuoteI think the R Class actually looks pretty good now that I see about 20 every day.  Its a very classy looking minivan, so to speak.  It definitely ahs presence.
It does have presence. I'm not to attracted to it though. I'd take an M-Class or E-Class Estate over it.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteI still think it looks like ass. In fact, it looks so bad that your great pictures are ruined since this thing is in it.
The CDI engine is great though.
Great pics and review though.
:praise:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

personally, i think the new the r-class is AWESOME, for what it is (a family hauler)! however, a neighbor and m.d., and his wife, left their house last week to shop for a new "r". much to my surprise, they came home w/ a loaded 2006 toyota sienna limited instead  :rockon: ! i was shocked, but he hated the new 'benz. his other cars: 2006 mercedes-banz cl65, 2005 mercedes-benz s600 sport, 2005 porsche 911 gt (?), 2003 sl500 amg, and a 2000 porsche 911.

my question, will they replace their s-class w/ a 2007 model, or drive home a new toyota avalon  :hammerhead: ?!  

Raza

They have an S600 and all those other cars, and they bought a Toyota Sienna?  Ifcar, maybe you ought to see if they'll adopt you, you can drive the MPV.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

QuoteThey have an S600 and all those other cars, and they bought a Toyota Sienna?  Ifcar, maybe you ought to see if they'll adopt you, you can drive the MPV.
okay, iffy, i was not me! watch out, raz  :blink: !!! lol  B) !

ifcar

QuoteThey have an S600 and all those other cars, and they bought a Toyota Sienna?  Ifcar, maybe you ought to see if they'll adopt you, you can drive the MPV.
It makes more sense than putting their kids in the Porsches.

Raza

QuoteThey have an S600 and all those other cars, and they bought a Toyota Sienna?  Ifcar, maybe you ought to see if they'll adopt you, you can drive the MPV.
It makes more sense than putting their kids in the Porsches.
Depending on how many kids they have, I'm sure any less than 4 would be fine in the back of an S600.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Depends on whether there are child seats, or any sort of carpool arrangement.

Besides, why fill up an S600 with kiddie crap? That's kind of a waste if you have the means to pick up a family-only car.