ZAP plans to sell 77K Smart ForTwos in the US

Started by ifcar, May 24, 2005, 07:55:03 PM

ifcar

Quoteanother question: are these things safe?? they're PUNY, plus the engine is out in the rear. I don't wanna know what a head on with an SUV would look like. :blink:  :(  :o
They've got a very strong structure, apparently. There are large vehicles in Europe too.  ;)  

Raghavan

Quoteanother question: are these things safe?? they're PUNY, plus the engine is out in the rear. I don't wanna know what a head on with an SUV would look like. :blink:  :(  :o
Probably not good.
SUV owner: Damn, another Smart to pick out of my grille! :lol:
of course, it's not a laughing matter, but im questioning if they're safe for the SUV laden roads of the USA.

93JC

QuoteWhat is the top speed in those things, and they have a diesel right? Would the fact that the emissions laws are getting strictor hinder their ability to sell them all? I am a bit skeptical about their success in the U.S.
Top speed in a Canadian-market fortwo is electronically limited to 135km/h, or 81mph.

Canadian-market fortwos come with a 40hp 0.8L I3 turbodiesel, but Zap's order is for the 60hp turbocharged gasoline engine sold only in Europe. It meets all emissions standards, including California's.
nice. you know the performance and curbweight specs?
0-100km/h (~62mph) in 19.8 seconds and a curb weight of 730kg (1609lbs) for the coup? and 740kg (1631lbs) for the cabriolet.

Raghavan

QuoteWhat is the top speed in those things, and they have a diesel right? Would the fact that the emissions laws are getting strictor hinder their ability to sell them all? I am a bit skeptical about their success in the U.S.
Top speed in a Canadian-market fortwo is electronically limited to 135km/h, or 81mph.

Canadian-market fortwos come with a 40hp 0.8L I3 turbodiesel, but Zap's order is for the 60hp turbocharged gasoline engine sold only in Europe. It meets all emissions standards, including California's.
nice. you know the performance and curbweight specs?
0-100km/h (~62mph) in 19.8 seconds and a curb weight of 730kg (1609lbs) for the coup? and 740kg (1631lbs) for the cabriolet.
wow. do you have to floor it just to keep up with traffic from a red light??/

93JC

Quoteanother question: are these things safe?? they're PUNY, plus the engine is out in the rear. I don't wanna know what a head on with an SUV would look like. :blink:? :(? :o
Probably not good.
of course, it's not a laughing matter, but im questioning if they're safe for the SUV laden roads of the USA.
Supposedly it is very safe. (link)

TBR

Top speed is probably around 80 mph, maybe 70 mph.
well, that sucks. 70mph isn't enough for us highways....
It most certainly is. The highest speed limit that I'm aware of is 65, so it can do the speed limit in the right lane and get along just fine.
You must not get out much, 70 mph is the speed limit on most typical interstates and 75 mph isn't very unusual.  

Raghavan

Quoteanother question: are these things safe?? they're PUNY, plus the engine is out in the rear. I don't wanna know what a head on with an SUV would look like. :blink:  :(  :o
Probably not good.

WTF?? that looks very fake.

93JC

Quotewow. do you have to floor it just to keep up with traffic from a red light??/
Don't know. I've never driven one myself. The version sold by Zap is 50% more powerful, and it is a 0-62mph time, so 19.8s might be a misleading figure. I'd imagine it keeps up just fine in city traffic.

ifcar

It most certainly is. The highest speed limit that I'm aware of is 65, so it can do the speed limit in the right lane and get along just fine.
You must not get out much, 70 mph is the speed limit on most typical interstates and 75 mph isn't very unusual.
Perhaps out on the rural interstates, but the Smart definitely wasn't designed with road tripping in mind.  

93JC

It isn't.

TBR

Perhaps out on the rural interstates, but the Smart definitely wasn't designed with road tripping in mind.
Excellent point, I didn't even think about that.  

Raghavan

It isn't.
ahh. i see. i didn't see that view. and actually, that looks quite painful, so i think i'll steer clear of smarts for now.

TBR

Probably not good.

That is because it was taken after the actual collision once the cars had settled.

Raghavan

Probably not good.

That is because it was taken after the actual collision once the cars had settled.
no, it looked fake because the front part of the smart that's visible in the pic looks undamaged, so it looked like the merc had taken all the damage, and the smart had just bumped off (if you see what i mean).

93JC

Quoteno, it looked fake because the front part of the smart that's visible in the pic looks undamaged, so it looked like the merc had taken all the damage, and the smart had just bumped off (if you see what i mean).
That's basically what happened.

Rest assured the smart is not a deathtrap.

BMWDave

Quoteno, it looked fake because the front part of the smart that's visible in the pic looks undamaged, so it looked like the merc had taken all the damage, and the smart had just bumped off (if you see what i mean).

So one bounce off a car into a ditch and the car is finished.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

was this a 40mph crash?

ifcar

The damage to the E-Class looks so bad because it has a sizeable crumple zone, while the Smart doesn't. What speed was this collision?

BMWDave

QuoteThe damage to the E-Class looks so bad because it has a sizeable crumple zone, while the Smart doesn't. What speed was this collision?
It looks to be at least 40mph.

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

I don't know what speed it is. Go to the link I provided and find out for yourselves.

BMWDave

QuoteI don't know what speed it is. Go to the link I provided and find out for yourselves.
I went.  Looks to be about 40mph from the video.  The Smart got crumpled in the front!

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Watch the overhead view...the Smart just wraps around the E Class.  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

But overall, the Smart did really well.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

Me and my sister couldn't stop laughing at those things when we were in Italy...

Raghavan

QuoteMe and my sister couldn't stop laughing at those things when we were in Italy...
why?

BMWDave

QuoteMe and my sister couldn't stop laughing at those things when we were in Italy...
why?
I guess they look kind of comical, and they are so small that they fit in anywhere.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

why?
I guess they look kind of comical, and they are so small that they fit in anywhere.
they're practical.

BMWDave

why?
they're practical.
Theyre really small, so I dont know how practical they really are.  Whats the storage capacity?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

why?
they're practical.
Theyre really small, so I dont know how practical they really are.  Whats the storage capacity?
There are different types of practicality. Interior/cargo space makes a car practical to some, and easy parking, a tight turning radius, and excellent fuel economy make it practical for others. The Smart would be practical for the latter people, but not the former.

BMWDave

why?
they're practical.
There are different types of practicality. Interior/cargo space makes a car practical to some, and easy parking, a tight turning radius, and excellent fuel economy make it practical for others. The Smart would be practical for the latter people, but not the former.
Thats basically what I'm saying...if you want to make a trip to your local Wal Mart, this isnt the car to take.

2007 Honda S2000