'92 Century makes clacking sound lower than 20 mph

Started by davisgra, July 20, 2006, 09:13:08 PM

davisgra

My car, a 1992 Buick Century with a V6, is making this weird clacking noise from the front end as soon as I start it up. The car's acceleration and handling doesn't seem any different, but it almost sounds like something is rattling around in there. As soon as the car goes over 20 mph, though, the noise completely stops and everything seems fine. When I slow down again, it comes back. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I think I might take it in to a shop tomorrow; any suggestions as to where to go? The car hasn't had any real problems; has 130,000 miles on it, and all of the fluids are checked and at the right level. I'd appreciate any help anyone would have...

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Laconian

Does the frequency of the clacking change with the car speed or the engine speed?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Are you sure the noise isn't just being drowned out at higher speeds?

Raza

QuoteIs it FWD?
Aren't all 92 Centuries front wheel drive?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

S204STi

Probably not related, but could you check your oil level?  Sometimes rod knock can go away under certain conditions, and maybe at whatever rpm your engine turns over 20mph it moves enough oil around to get rid of the noise.

Catman

QuoteIs it FWD?
Does a bear shit in the woods? :blink:  

JYODER240

QuoteIs it FWD?
Forgive me, I have limited knowledge of soft, boring, Buicks from the 90's.  :rolleyes:  

AutobahnSHO

You can buy a "mechanic's stethoscope" at autoparts store, or just put your ear on a really long screwdriver- you touch the end to different parts to listen to how they sound, maybe you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.  Of course, be careful you don't touch any moving parts with anything that's also touching your head.   ;)

I had an 83 Civic that rattled at idle for almost a year.  I thought it was just at idle but I had someone else give it gas while I listened with the hood up, and it was at all speeds, but I could only hear it at idles.

I finally took it to the mechanic and he said before even coming outside his shop it sounded like the waterpump.  Popped the hood, started it up, and he said it was definitely the waterpump- we could see the pulley was shifting slightly, too.  He said I was lucky it hadn't gone out on me- I laughed because I'd driven it that way for 9 months!!!            Replaced it and sound was gone.

Good luck.
Will

Raza

QuoteIs it FWD?
Forgive me, I have limited knowledge of soft, boring, Buicks from the 90's.  :rolleyes:
But your knowledge of soft, boring Hondas from the early double oughts is unsurpassed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

QuoteIs it FWD?
But your knowledge of soft, boring Hondas from the early double oughts is unsurpassed.
How so?