Electrical Problems

Started by dazzleman, August 06, 2006, 04:41:14 PM

dazzleman

I know Raza will probably get a good laugh about this, but I'm having a couple of minor electrical problems with my car (2006 BMW 530i).

First, the DSC indicator light came on (indicating that the traction control is not working) and the brake light came on, indicating that the ABS is not operational.

Then, I noticed that sometimes the turn signal went off before I made my turn, and other times it continued to blink after I made my turn.

And there are times when the power assist is not working properly on the steering.

I have an appointment to take the car in to be fixed on August 15th.  This s&%t pisses me off.  I had a few of these issues with my previous BMW also.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tom

Atleast you got a warranty.  Hopefully they give you a good rental.

AutobahnSHO

QuoteI know Raza will probably get a good laugh about this, but I'm having a couple of minor electrical problems with my car (2006 BMW 530i).

First, the DSC indicator light came on (indicating that the traction control is not working) and the brake light came on, indicating that the ABS is not operational.

Then, I noticed that sometimes the turn signal went off before I made my turn, and other times it continued to blink after I made my turn.

And there are times when the power assist is not working properly on the steering.

I have an appointment to take the car in to be fixed on August 15th.  This s&%t pisses me off.  I had a few of these issues with my previous BMW also.
Fun.  Beat 'em up till they get it right.   B)  
Will

dazzleman

QuoteI know Raza will probably get a good laugh about this, but I'm having a couple of minor electrical problems with my car (2006 BMW 530i).

I have an appointment to take the car in to be fixed on August 15th.  This s&%t pisses me off.  I had a few of these issues with my previous BMW also.
Fun.  Beat 'em up till they get it right.   B)
That's what I plan to do.  :devil:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

QuoteAtleast you got a warranty.  Hopefully they give you a good rental.
You better believe I have a warranty.  And they better f'ing fix it right.  I don't feel like dealing with this bulls*#t after paying $50K+ for a car.

Hopefully, I won't need a loaner.  I take the train to work, and the dealer is right near the train station.  A loaner would actually be more of a burden than a help.  Of course, if they can't fix the car in one day, then I'll definitely need a loaner.

I've had loaners from BMW before, and it's always been either a 325i or an X-3.

saxonyron

Sad to hear it, D-Man.  Sounds like it'll all tie in with one circuit board or relay or something.  Hopefully an easy fix.  Thank God for warranties!  My Check Engine light came on for a day last week, but never showed up again.  I'm bringing the A4 in to have that checked out, but the dealer said "Meh, it's just emissions stuff - probably nothing." The car is running fine, so hopefully that will be the case.  11,000 miles and so far, so good!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

S204STi

My bet is that the two warning lights are interrelated, and that the turn signal stalk issue is a separate concern.

Raza

I want to smile, but I won't.  

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

QuoteI want to smile, but I won't.
Go ahead.  I dare ya.

Raza

Go ahead.  I dare ya.
:mellow:

:)

:D

:P

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Go ahead.  I dare ya.

:D  :rockon:

God this forum rocks, C/D can blow chimps for all I care... :devil:  

dazzleman

QuoteMy bet is that the two warning lights are interrelated, and that the turn signal stalk issue is a separate concern.
Maybe, but it seems a funny coincidence that the problems all started at the same time.

dazzleman

Go ahead.  I dare ya.

Just like you Raza, deriving enjoyment from the suffering of other people.... :lol:  

Champ

QuoteThen, I noticed that sometimes the turn signal went off before I made my turn, and other times it continued to blink after I made my turn.
Good thing BMW swapped over from the typical mechanical blinker stalk to that new stupid computer controlled one.  The one where you have to push it back in the same direction to turn it off as you did to turn it on.  What a dumb idea who thought of that by the way.  Everytime I drive a BMW I curse that system.  Why change something so simple that works so well.

I guess change for changes sake.

On another note I read BMW will be using square wheels starting in 2008 because the old "circlular wheels" were outdated and it was time for a pointless change.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

In German, BMW stands for Bring Mich Werkstatt.   :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

L. ed foote

QuoteIn German, BMW stands for Bring Mich Werkstatt.   :P
Bayerisher Mist Wagen?
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

The problems are fixed.  Apparently, they were all caused by the malfunction of some electronic part.  Everything seems fine now.  Thanks for the help.

saxonyron

Good to hear it.  Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.  How was your dealer?  Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.  Of course, so do all carmakers.  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteGood to hear it.  Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.  How was your dealer?  Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.  Of course, so do all carmakers.
They were OK.  I called in early August, and they said they could take me on the 15th.  Then, just prior to the 15th, I called and asked how long the repair would take.  They told me at least 2 days.  I told them that then, I would need a loaner.  Then they told me that no loaner was available until the 22nd.

As it turned out, I didn't need a loaner, since they fixed it in one day (I just take the train to work from the station right near the dealer, and go back there at night to get the car -- it's very convenient.  I only need a loaner if they have the car overnight.)

I didn't make a big thing of it, since I realize they have to prioritize and this was something that could wait.  But I would have liked it if they'd fixed it immediately.

Raza

QuoteGood to hear it.  Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.  How was your dealer?  Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.  Of course, so do all carmakers.
I blew two woofers, and after the original guy got fired, they put it in quickly, and without charge.  It was nice.  Volkswagen kicks ass.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteGood to hear it.  Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.  How was your dealer?  Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.  Of course, so do all carmakers.
They were OK.  I called in early August, and they said they could take me on the 15th.  Then, just prior to the 15th, I called and asked how long the repair would take.  They told me at least 2 days.  I told them that then, I would need a loaner.  Then they told me that no loaner was available until the 22nd.

As it turned out, I didn't need a loaner, since they fixed it in one day (I just take the train to work from the station right near the dealer, and go back there at night to get the car -- it's very convenient.  I only need a loaner if they have the car overnight.)

I didn't make a big thing of it, since I realize they have to prioritize and this was something that could wait.  But I would have liked it if they'd fixed it immediately.
BMWs have a lot of problems, so they're often backed up.  Volkswagen, on the other hand, always has prompt service, since they're so reliable that whenever anything may go wrong, they're able to diagnose and fix it quickly--if there is anything wrong in the first place.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

QuoteGood to hear it.? Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.? How was your dealer?? Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.? Of course, so do all carmakers.

BMWs have a lot of problems, so they're often backed up.  Volkswagen, on the other hand, always has prompt service, since they're so reliable that whenever anything may go wrong, they're able to diagnose and fix it quickly--if there is anything wrong in the first place.
:lol:  

Raza

QuoteGood to hear it.  Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.  How was your dealer?  Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.  Of course, so do all carmakers.

I'm not saying you made the wrong decision or anything like that.  

[size=8]But you made the wrong decision.[/size]

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

QuoteGood to hear it.? Hopefully it was one of those "infant mortality" electrical failures where the new part will last forever.? How was your dealer?? Did he behave himself well? It's always nice to get good service and I know our beloved German makes have a so-so reputation with that.? Of course, so do all carmakers.

Based on the way you seem to think, I'll take that as confirmation that I made the right decision.

Raza

Based on the way you seem to think, I'll take that as confirmation that I made the right decision.
Well, next time you break down, don't expect a Volkswagen owner to stop and help you with an attitude like that.  We're all interconnected, you know.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

QuoteWell, next time you break down, don't expect a Volkswagen owner to stop and help you with an attitude like that.  We're all interconnected, you know.
It's more likely I'd be stopping to help a broken-down Volkswagen owner.  I haven't broken down yet.

Refresh my memory -- which model are you driving?

Raza

QuoteWell, next time you break down, don't expect a Volkswagen owner to stop and help you with an attitude like that.  We're all interconnected, you know.
It's more likely I'd be stopping to help a broken-down Volkswagen owner.  I haven't broken down yet.

Refresh my memory -- which model are you driving?
Look in the sig, darlin'.  That's my car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Now BMW is hunting me down to get me to answer a survey about the service experience.

Every time you use a service department, they want you to answer a f'ing survey.  The guys at the dealership say that they get graded down in their performance if people don't give them the highest rating.  

I hate this type of grade inflation, but I assume that the results get reported back to the dealer, and I figure that if I give them the high ratings, I'll get treated better.  

It seems to have worked in the past.  I became buddies with one of the service consultants, or whatever they call those guys who walk around in a polo shirt and white pants (you know he's not the guy actually fixing your car) because I didn't make a big thing of it when he messed up and had me come pick up the car when it wasn't ready.  He promptly got me a loaner and I was nice about it, and gave him a high rating anyway.  They probably would have cut his nuts off for that if I'd reported it, because he was my best buddy from that day forward.  Unfortunately, he moved on, and now I don't really know anybody there.  I've got to get a new friend there; it really helps to have somebody to give you a little special treatment, like getting put to the head of the line for loaners or appointments.

Champ

The survey should be anonymous, and they usually don't call you for every visit.  Yes these guys get money based on how these surveys turn out, they are called CSI's.....Customer Satisfaction Index.

Saturn is usually among the top brands in this category :)

*edit* CSI link to JDPower

And Dazzle you are right, it is nice to have one service writer (or consultant) that knows your name and knows your car.  A guy you can call and say hey it's (dazzleman), my car needs an oil change... and he knows right where you are in the computer and knows all about your car.  Those are the guys to find  ;)