New intake installed

Started by Champ, August 07, 2006, 10:42:32 AM

Champ

So after hearing the intake on this guys car, I had to have it.  He sold it to me for $90 because he was selling his car, taking the mods off of it.

My car finally isn't silent anymore!  A very pronounced Woooooooosh and turbo his can now be heard while you are on the gas.  Very audible from inside or outside the car.  If you drive normally, not pushing on the gas much you can't even hear a difference.

Pics when I remember to get my camera and take some.

giant_mtb

What kind/model/etc?

B)  

Raza

QuoteWhat kind/model/etc?

B)
Saab 9-3 Viggen.

Probably the best car on this forum!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

From www.genuinesaab.com which is a pretty dominant name in Saab tuning in the US.  

Clicky Clicky

This is what it looks like, the kit just comes with that stainless steel shield and the filter, along with some bolts to attach it.  Unlike other COI systems, this one actually pulls in cold air from outside of the engine, instead of just cone filters that sit in the engine bay pulling in warm air.  Not sure who makes the filter.

280Z Turbo

I made one of those myself from an Autozone cheapie filter, 3" exhaust pipe and 3" radiator hose. It pulls air from in front of the radiator.

Champ

QuoteI made one of those myself from an Autozone cheapie filter, 3" exhaust pipe and 3" radiator hose. It pulls air from in front of the radiator.

Ooo nice!

giant_mtb

B)
Saab 9-3 Viggen.

I meant the intake.  :rolleyes:  

Raza

B)
Saab 9-3 Viggen.

I meant the intake.  :rolleyes:
I realize that now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Makes me want to get a CAI. Cheap reliable power is never a bad thing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

I kinda have to chuckle at you guys who think these things are a really awesome performance mod (especially for a naturally aspirated engine).

The only reason I have a cone air filter is because I couldn't use the stock airbox with the new engine.

Let me know when one of you guys gets a real custom intake! You know, the kind that bolts to the head!

Tom

QuoteI made one of those myself from an Autozone cheapie filter, 3" exhaust pipe and 3" radiator hose. It pulls air from in front of the radiator.
Is that location because you couldn't fit it anywhere or because it is better?  Does it take air colder that way?

Champ

QuoteI kinda have to chuckle at you guys who think these things are a really awesome performance mod (especially for a naturally aspirated engine).

The only reason I have a cone air filter is because I couldn't use the stock airbox with the new engine.

Let me know when one of you guys gets a real custom intake! You know, the kind that bolts to the head!
Not sure if you are referring to me, but I don't claim this makes any more HP at all.  Just increases the smile on my face when I hear the turbo spool up!   :rockon:

I'm under the impression that the stock airbox (at least on my car) is actually quite decent for performance.

Champ

AFter looking at your intake pic again (280z), it reminds me of how much older cars rock... look how much space is there under the hood!  Newer cars everything is so crammed in that there is hardly any space.  In my '87 near the passenger fender, there was almost enough room to stand in there!  Miss the old days :(

Laconian

QuoteI kinda have to chuckle at you guys who think these things are a really awesome performance mod (especially for a naturally aspirated engine).

Well, the Miata airbox is pretty restrictive and suffers from being placed so close to the engine. The Racing Beat kit will free up ~6hp according to several independent tests I've seen.

Trust me, I expect to get my money's worth with it (ie. not much!) All's I want is a bit of extra power, a nicer engine sound, and maybe a wider power curve.

Still haven't done the Miata 14 deg BTDC timing trick yet though...  :ph34r: now THAT is power for free!

S204STi

Well, the Miata airbox is pretty restrictive and suffers from being placed so close to the engine. The Racing Beat kit will free up ~6hp according to several independent tests I've seen.

Trust me, I expect to get my money's worth with it (ie. not much!) All's I want is a bit of extra power, a nicer engine sound, and maybe a wider power curve.

Still haven't done the Miata 14 deg BTDC timing trick yet though...  :ph34r: now THAT is power for free!
Is that an aftermarket cam sprocket kit like the ones for the Lancer Evo?  Those ARE a neat trick.

Laconian

280Z Turbo

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I don't claim this makes any more HP at all.  Just increases the smile on my face when I hear the turbo spool up!   :rockon:

I'm under the impression that the stock airbox (at least on my car) is actually quite decent for performance.
Oh I know. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that some people think they did a significant engine mod, when really it's not a big deal.

Remember that you may risk sucking in water and then you could hydrolock the motor. I'm afraid to drive the Z in heavy rain because of that.

280Z Turbo

Is that location because you couldn't fit it anywhere or because it is better?  Does it take air colder that way?
Both. :lol:

Mostly the first one though. Colder air prevents detonation on a turbo car. That's why I need to install an intercooler before I crank up the boost.

Laconian

QuoteOh I know. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that some people think they did a significant engine mod, when really it's not a big deal.

Remember that you may risk sucking in water and then you could hydrolock the motor. I'm afraid to drive the Z in heavy rain because of that.
No good! Is hydrolocking a significant risk in most installations?

280Z Turbo

Depends where it is and where it pulls air from.

Champ

QuoteDepends where it is and where it pulls air from.
Mine pulls air from the same area as the stock location, so I'm not too worried about that.  air comes in from underneath the front bumper, stright up to the top of the engine.