Autobild: Lexus LS460 vs Mercedes-Benz S500

Started by cawimmer430, August 10, 2006, 07:40:29 AM

cawimmer430

QuoteThanks, I already read your reviews when you posted them on C&D  B)

Good reads.
:rockon:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

The LS looks absolutely huge (it probably is but still)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Car Zeus

The LS has closed the gap which is very important.

I still think the new S-class looks ugly. I rather have the prior one on some 20's. :praise:  

Lazerous

QuoteThe LS has closed the gap which is very important.

I still think the new S-class looks ugly. I rather have the prior one on some 20's. :praise:
I hope you mean you'd rather have the "looks" of the previous model, because from what I am reading so far, the new one is far more reliable and made out of much better quality materials, and obviously all of the high tech awesomeness in it, and yet it can still do 0-60 in 5.5sec or less. How Mercedes does it? The world may never know.
Ok yes we do, its by sticking a H120 cylinder engine with 13.5L and 56739bhp. THATS HOW!!!!!!!

nevadajack

QuoteIf there were a steering wheel Special Olympics, the Mercedes wheel would be there with all the old GM wheels.

What the fuck were they thinking?
It ain't too bad IMO. Have you seen it in real already?
Yeah.  The car is disgusting.  I can live with the exterior, but this is the worst S class interior I've ever seen.
I disagree with most of your comments on the S Class and I admit being bias on the subject.  I owned a '06 S430 before the S550 and the difference is day and night.  All facets of the car have been upgraded and the new S is absolutely the best MB I have owned...I have been driving them since the mid'70's.  We all have our likes and dislikes on cars and I understand your view...maybe these images will help you understand mine.

Since you don't like the steering wheel I thought I would give you a close-up look.  

As far as the exterior goes I too had resevations but once I saw the car close-up I was convinced.  This shot I think emphasizes the design and really power of the car.

SVT_Power

I dont know if its because of the reflection but the wood on the steering wheel almost looks like plastic (although I know it isn't)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

Welcome to the boards.

Is that your car on the bottom?

SVT_Power

QuoteWelcome to the boards.

Ya i think that's his car (he's from C&D I think)

TBR

As far as the steering wheel goes, I never find myself looking at the steering wheel while driving, unless I've temporarily forgotten where the cruise controls are.

nevadajack

Thanks for the welcome.  Yup...that's my car.  Just added my sig picture.

cawimmer430

Nevada Jack!!! Welcome man!  :rockon:

Have not seen you on GCZ for awhile. Andaluz, from GCZ, is here too!  ;)

Glad the S550 is pleasing you, I love your car in white.  :rockon:  B)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

nevadajack

Ya i think that's his car (he's from C&D I think)
I post very rarely on C&D...mostly on MBWorld and GermanCarZone.

nevadajack

QuoteI dont know if its because of the reflection but the wood on the steering wheel almost looks like plastic (although I know it isn't)
Nope it isn't.... :D  

TBR

nevadajack

QuoteNevada Jack!!! Welcome man!  :rockon:

Have not seen you on GCZ for awhile. Andaluz, from GCZ, is here too!  ;)

Glad the S550 is pleasing you, I love your car in white.  :rockon:  B)
Hi Wimmer...I frequent GCZ often and have posted some pics just recently.  Over 7500 miles on the S now and not a wimper of any problems or issues.  Sweetest MB I have ever owned... :clap:

cawimmer430

QuoteNevada Jack!!! Welcome man!? :rockon:

Have not seen you on GCZ for awhile. Andaluz, from GCZ, is here too!? ;)

Glad the S550 is pleasing you, I love your car in white.? :rockon:? B)
Hi Wimmer...I frequent GCZ often and have posted some pics just recently.  Over 7500 miles on the S now and not a wimper of any problems or issues.  Sweetest MB I have ever owned... :clap:
:rockon:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

pommes-t

I simply don't like Lexus. And the new LS is UUUUUUGLY!!!!!  

SVT_Power

QuoteI simply don't like Lexus. And the new LS is UUUUUUGLY!!!!!
Last one wasn't much better imo

RJM

Interesting.  I spent some time looking over both models at this years NAIAS, and came away none too impressed.  In person, at least to me anyway, Lexus went from S-Class for inspiration to 7.  From several angles, the LS favored a refreshed 7.  On the whole, it looks like the child of the new GS and IS on steroids.  Its distinctive, but doesn't scream luxury flagship, not that the current LS does either, but it looks more upscale than this.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can drive one, but I don't see this car sweeping the luxury field in the same manner as the original LS400, which is what Lexus press material is claiming....

Catman

QuoteInteresting.  I spent some time looking over both models at this years NAIAS, and came away none too impressed.  In person, at least to me anyway, Lexus went from S-Class for inspiration to 7.  From several angles, the LS favored a refreshed 7.  On the whole, it looks like the child of the new GS and IS on steroids.  Its distinctive, but doesn't scream luxury flagship, not that the current LS does either, but it looks more upscale than this.

I'll reserve final judgement until I can drive one, but I don't see this car sweeping the luxury field in the same manner as the original LS400, which is what Lexus press material is claiming....
They look nice to me but I'd have to see one up close.  I tend to favor the bland Lexus style.  I saw a Black ES350 today and thought it looked really nice. B)

Welcome nevadajack! :rockon:  

RJM

QuoteInteresting.? I spent some time looking over both models at this years NAIAS, and came away none too impressed.? In person, at least to me anyway, Lexus went from S-Class for inspiration to 7.? From several angles, the LS favored a refreshed 7.? On the whole, it looks like the child of the new GS and IS on steroids.? Its distinctive, but doesn't scream luxury flagship, not that the current LS does either, but it looks more upscale than this.

They look nice to me but I'd have to see one up close.  I tend to favor the bland Lexus style.  I saw a Black ES350 today and thought it looked really nice. B)

Welcome nevadajack! :rockon:
I really like the current LS, many criticize its S-Class derivative styling but I think its a very handsome vehicle and came THIS close to purchasing one.

I like the new LS, but the design seems to be trying to hard to be something it isn't...

Does that make sense??

Catman

The more I look at it the more I like it. B)  

omicron

I don't care much for the look of either of them. How depressing.  

93JC

Me neither. One looks like a malnourished Maybach, the other a cheap BMW 7-series knockoff.

omicron

What's nice is that there are always A8s and XJs and Quattroportes to buy instead.  

Andaluz

If you just want a reliable set of wheels and don't care too much about styling and performance, buy the Lexus.

If you like the Jaguar XJ8 more than these two, than all Luxury cars are Equal.

But one...

...is more equal than the others.

nevadajack

QuoteIf you just want a reliable set of wheels and don't care too much about styling and performance, buy the Lexus.

If you like the Jaguar XJ8 more than these two, than all Luxury cars are Equal.

But one...

...is more equal than the others.
Well put and so true...the others just aspire to Greatness but the S Class has it.  Just one look at this image and you know who is the boss :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

BMWDave

I think the angle above in your sig, nevadajack, looks best for the new S Class, and for the CL as well.  It shows off the aggressive wheel arches, which look quite good from that angle.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...