Audi A3 Test Drive by Edmunds

Started by BMWDave, May 27, 2005, 05:09:46 AM

BMWDave

Pics at the Link

A "Sportback" That Finally Lives Up to the Name
By Karl Brauer
Date posted: 05-26-2005

Sometimes Americans just don't get it. As consumers we tend to scoff at diesel powertrains, and our domestic automakers are way behind the curve on hybrid technology. At least we're slowly "getting it" in terms of personal transportation. There appears to be a slow-but-sure transition from 3-ton SUVs, with single-digit fuel mileage, to car-based vehicles offering superior driving dynamics and effective space utilization. It's this burgeoning wave of enlightenment Audi is hoping to ride with the all-new 2006 A3.

A New Take on the Estate
One glance at the A3 and it's clear the vehicle is Euro-inspired. The car's exterior proportions are roughly one-third greenhouse, two-thirds lower body, giving it a confident stance that reflects its European moniker: Sportback. Certainly the eclectic exterior was enough to garner attention from fellow motorists as we picked our way through West Los Angeles en route to our favorite twisty roads. But it was the A3's penchant for repeatedly spinning the 45-series performance tires, often with barely one-third throttle application, that had us convinced this latest addition to the product line is more than just a unique styling exercise.

Audi has been offering this model in Europe and South America for 10 years (it won Brazilian "Car of the Year" in 2000), but starting this month you will find the next-generation A3 alongside the recently redesigned A4, A6 and A8 in U.S. showrooms. With nearly every model undergoing a complete makeover in the past 12 months, it's apparent Audi is mounting a serious campaign to capture the hearts, minds and monthly payments of U.S. buyers.

The 2006 A3 is meant to expand the brand's appeal to entry-luxury buyers, age 25-40, by offering the sporty proportions of a coupe with the practicality of a wagon. The A3's total interior volume is equal to the previous-generation A4 Avant, and despite the shortened cargo area behind the C-pillar you can still carry 13.1 cubic feet of luggage with the rear seat in place. Fold the 60/40 second row flat and cargo capacity jumps to 36 cubic feet.

A Replacement for Displacement?
The heart of the A3 is the same 2.0T FSI engine we've been fawning over since experiencing it in the new A4. This engine combines direct fuel injection with a high-compression ratio (10.5-to-1) to offer the type of low-end torque usually reserved for larger, normally aspirated power plants. With 200 horsepower at 5,100 rpm and 207 pound-feet of torque on tap from 1,800 to 5,000 rpm, the A3 scoots to 60 mph in just 7 seconds and blasts through the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 93 mph.

Those are competitive numbers in today's sub-$30,000 market (a 227-hp Subaru WRX wagon, for example, gets to 60 just a tad quicker at 6.7 seconds), but the engine's true beauty comes from its ever-ready nature that keeps the A3 constantly poised to strike. With just a quick throttle jab, the stylish sportback transforms from statesmanlike luxury cruiser to uppity street punk ? right now! Turn traction control off and the car will repeatedly light up the front tires in first and second gear, almost before you can register what's happening. Think of it as a Viper with six fewer cylinders ? and three times the fuel mileage.

Trick Tranny
In fact, if there's an Achilles' heel to the A3 it's that, initially, it will come with front-wheel drive only, which makes harnessing the 2.0T's torque a delicate balance between throttle application and available traction. By the end of 2005, a 3.2-liter, all-wheel-drive version will make an appearance, but until then the only drivetrain option is a six-speed DSG transmission (a traditional six-speed manual is the base transmission). We've driven the A3 with both trannys, but our test model was equipped with the DSG. And let us clarify one minor point right now ? the traditional manual transmission is officially obsolete.

DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox, and as the name implies this transmission maintains a direct connection between the engine and the driven wheels without the use of a torque converter. Effectively reducing BMW's SMG, Toyota's SMT and Ferrari's F1-style manual transmissions to second-tier status, Audi's DSG uses two clutches to "preselect" the next gear before disengaging the active gear. The result is a truly "automaticlike" crispness between gears on upshifts, with all the rev-matching and rapid-fire responsiveness you could ever want on downshifts. Is there any downside to DSG? We noticed the car will roll a few extra inches before finally stopping when it's placed in "Park," and we didn't appreciate our test car's ability to upshift on its own at 7,400 rpm, even when operated in "manual" mode. The BMW, Ferrari and Toyota systems will let you bounce off the rev-limiter until the end of Robert Blake's latest murder trial. We wish Audi would incorporate the same philosophy.

More Than the Sum of its Parts
In simple performance-per-dollar terms, the Subaru WRX wagon and Saab 9-2X have it all over the A3. Those models offer quicker acceleration and greater cargo capacity at a lower price. But consider the Audi's undiluted driving dynamics, opulent interior and upscale standard equipment list before writing off this latest sportback entry. The A3's electromechanical steering, for instance, does a superb job of dampening out unwanted road vibrations and kickback without marring the sublime feedback enthusiast drivers crave. Some editors commented that steering weight and resistance were on the light side, but they admitted it didn't actually reduce steering feel. And the advanced four-link rear suspension combines with McPherson struts up front to keep the car buttoned down, even as midcorner pavement imperfections try to knock it off line.

Slip inside and it's readily apparent the A3 continues Audi's tradition of utilizing first-class materials throughout the cabin. Real metal rings around the dash vents and audio controls are accented by high-quality plastic on the shifter and HVAC dials. Standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control, 17-inch alloy wheels, one-touch power windows, keyless entry and a 10-speaker, 140-watt audio system with satellite preparation for both XM and Sirius.

Watch That Bottom Line
If you're after more than what the base A3 has to offer, an $1,800 Sport Package provides stiffer suspension tuning, foglights, a roof spoiler and leather seating surfaces. The $2,025 Premium Package also adds leather, plus a power driver seat, auto-dimming rearview mirror and HomeLink. Neither package strikes us as a particularly great value, and choosing either one, plus a few stand-alone items like xenon headlights or the upgraded Bose sound package, will have an A3's sticker rapidly approaching $30,000. That kind of money opens up a whole new set of competitors, not the least of which is Audi's own A4 Avant. Our advice? Stick with just DSG and the Sport or Premium Package and you can escape the dealer's clutches for under $30 large.

As corporate officials stated recently, Audi wants to be "the most progressive brand in America." Whether you focus on the A3's distinctive shape or its cutting-edge technology, one thing's clear, these guys aren't playing follow the leader. Drive around in the new A3 and you won't feel like you are, either.

Heck, people might even look at you and think "now there's someone who obviously gets it."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I feel a sedan version would do much better in the US market. Also, as it is, it probably will be compared more to the few sub-$30k wagons instead of cars like the TSX.

crv16

Mmmmm, I really like this car.  The Germans sure know how to proportion a car correctly.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

BMWDave

The interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.  This is a great package.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Colonel Cadillac

I like this car quite a lot.  

TBR

"And let us clarify one minor point right now ? the traditional manual transmission is officially obsolete." What kind of dumbass statement was that? One could argue that the manual tranismission has been obsolete for 50 years since the first automatic was available in an Oldsmobile of some type. As for the car itself, I think it was a stupid move to make it FWD only to start with and I really wish they would bring over the 3-door variant (an absolutely gorgeous car), but other than that it looks very nice.  

mazda6er

QuoteThe interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.  This is a great package.
I agree. It seems like a really nice car, and I actually really like the exterior, but I have that fear of wagons....and due to this, I would never buy one.  If it was offered as a sedan, I still probably would pass it up, because I'd feel like I was driving the poor man's A4. But strangely, I really like it.  :blink:  I'm confused.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteThe interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.  This is a great package.
I agree. It seems like a really nice car, and I actually really like the exterior, but I have that fear of wagons....and due to this, I would never buy one.  If it was offered as a sedan, I still probably would pass it up, because I'd feel like I was driving the poor man's A4. But strangely, I really like it.  :blink:  I'm confused.
Its not really a wagon...its a hatch.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteThe interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.? This is a great package.
That's what I meant.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteThe interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.? This is a great package.
That's what I meant.
What do you think of the 1 Series?  Its also a hatch, but it looks much better than the Audi IMO.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteThe interior is beautiful, the outside is nice, and it probably has great quality to boot, all at a low price.  This is a great package.
That's what I meant.
What do you think of the 1 Series?  Its also a hatch, but it looks much better than the Audi IMO.
I also think that the 1-Series is much more attractive, but this one is starting to grow on me as well.  

TurboDan

Everyone here knows my opinion on the A3:  I love it!  This is the first hatch that I would find to be a suitable replacement for my Saab hatch.  I was in it at the NYIAS, and quality is beautiful.  I have nothing but good things to say.

Personally, I think with the current fuel prices, people might be looking for a classy looking hatch with some German style.

Raghavan

That's what I meant.
I really like the looks of the 1 series. plus it's RWD. :praise:
I'm trying to get my piano teacher to get one when it comes out. He's single, and he only wants the backseat so he can wedge his dog cage between the back and front seats, so no rear seat legroom is good for him! :lol:  

Lebowski

850CSi

... Waiting for the quattro model...

FWD Audis... :(

Raghavan

Quote... Waiting for the quattro model...

so your dad will buy it for you?

TBR

That's what I meant.
I personally don't care for the 1-series 5 door, however, early renderings of the coupe version look very good.  

850CSi

No...

Raghavan

No...
so why are you waiting for it?

Raza

Give me 6 speeds and 3 doors.  3.2L V6, of course.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteGive me 6 speeds and 3 doors.  3.2L V6, of course.
Another mistake on Audi's part, isn't the V6 version going to be DSG only?  

Raghavan

QuoteGive me 6 speeds and 3 doors.  3.2L V6, of course.
Another mistake on Audi's part, isn't the V6 version going to be DSG only?
i think so, yes.

Raghavan

QuoteGive me 6 speeds and 3 doors.  3.2L V6, of course.
with Quattro, right?