2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI Wagon GLS Test Drive

Started by BMWDave, May 27, 2005, 05:31:20 AM

BMWDave

Link

Test Drive:
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI Wagon GLS
Review and photos by Greg Wilson

Gasoline prices have been fluctuating over the past year, but with world demand for crude oil on the rise, the general trend in gasoline prices is likely to be 'Up' - perhaps 'Way Up'. In Europe and Asia, where gasoline prices have been 'Up' for a number of years, fuel-efficient diesel engines are considerably more popular than they are here. Another surge in gasoline prices here might persuade more car buyers to switch to diesel or gas-electric hybrid powertrains. The question is: how expensive does gasoline have to get for buyers make the switch en masse?

Well, it's hard to tell, but if it does happen, there is only one automaker in North America that's well-positioned to take advantage of diesel 'cross-overs': Volkswagen. VW now has five diesel models available: the Golf TDI, Jetta TDI, Beetle TDI, Touareg V10 diesel and the new Passat TDI. The only other diesel cars available in North America are the Smart micro-car and the Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI luxury sedan - and the Jeep Liberty CRD SUV. There are also heavy-duty diesel pickup trucks from GM, Ford and Chrysler.

The 2005 VW Passat TDI, available as a four-door sedan ($32,090) and four-door Wagon ($33,560) in mid-level GLS trim, is the first mainstream, mid-size diesel passenger car available here for under $40,000.

Diesel performance

The Passat's diesel engine is a turbocharged 2.0 litre four cylinder diesel powerplant with 134 horsepower. Average fuel consumption (combined city/hwy driving) is rated at 7.2 L/100 km (39 mpg). That compares to 8.9 L/100 km (32 mpg) for the Passat's 1.8 litre turbocharged gasoline engine; and 10.1 L/100 km (28 mpg) for the optional 2.8 litre V6 gasoline engine. In highway driving, the Passat TDI can achieve a maximum 5.7 L/100 km (50 mpg), quite remarkable for a mid-size car, and the best mileage of any mid-sized car on the market. With its 62-litre fuel tank, the Passat TDI has a theoretical driving range of 1087 kilometres, but in combined driving, the range is a more realistic 860 kilometres.

But what about performance? 134 horsepower doesn't sound like a lot for a mid-sized car, especially when you can buy a Passat 1.8T with 170 hp for less money, and the Passat V6 offers a 190 horsepower 2.8 litre V6 engine for a little more money. According to Consumer Reports, the Passat TDI's 0 to 60 mph time of 11.5 seconds is about two and a half seconds slower than the Passat 1.8T's time - but this doesn't tell the whole story.

In typical city driving, the Passat TDI performs better than expected because of its superior engine torque (torque is that responsiveness you can feel when the accelerator pedal is pressed). The Passat TDI develops maximum torque of 247 ft-lbs at just 1900 rpm. The 1.8T develops a maximum of 166 ft-lbs at 1950 rpm, and the V6 offers 206 ft-lbs at 3200 rpm. This means that the Passat TDI is very responsive when pulling away from a stoplight and accelerating in the 30 to 70 km/h range.

Highway passing is definitely slower than its gasoline-engined counterparts, but once you're cruising at freeway speeds, the Passat TDI is very comfortable. The diesel engine turns over just 1900 rpm at 100 km/h and 2300 rpm at 120 km/h, and it's a fairly relaxed and surprisingly quiet engine.

For many people, the clattering sound of a diesel engine is a turn-off, but in the Passat TDI, unless you have the windows open, you won't find the noise intrusive. Compared to current diesel trucks on the market, or even the Smart car, the Passat diesel is much quieter.

As well, there is very little diesel smoke from the tailpipe, and no diesel fuel smell in the cabin. However, when it comes time to fill up the tank, you won't be able to avoid the strong odour of diesel fuel, and some of it may find its way into the cabin. Here's a tip: don't stand in a puddle of diesel fuel at the pump, because it sticks to your shoes and then gets into the car mats. And try not to get diesel fuel on your hands, because you'll have to wash it off with soap and water later. This is particularly important if you're on a date.

Driving impressions

My test vehicle was a wagon model, and I found visibility for the driver to be excellent due to the Passat Wagon's large side and rear windows and narrow pillars. However, the rear head restraints do get in the way from some angles. A standard rear wiper and washer with an intermittent wiping setting clears the rear window of condensation, dirt, snow and ice.

The Passat TDI comes standard with a 5-speed automatic Tiptronic transmission which shifts smoothly, although I found a slight hesitation to shift down when the gas pedal is depressed during highway passing. The manual Tiptronic feature allows quick sequential shifts by tapping the shift lever forwards to upshift and back to downshift.

Ride and handling have always been a strong point for the Passat, which is based on the previous generation Audi A4 platform. Up front is an independent multi-link suspension with anti-roll bar and gas-pressurized shocks and at the rear is a semi-independent torsion beam suspension with anti-roll bar and gas shocks. Its turning diameter of 11.4 (37.4 ft.) is reasonable for a mid-size sedan, and the Passat TDI Wagon has a very comfortable ride. But its extra body bulk is noticeable when cornering quickly when compared to the sedan. Still, Passat TDI Wagon buyers will likely be more concerned about comfort and fuel economy than handling.

The Passat TDI comes in front-wheel-drive only. 4Motion, Volkswagen's all-wheel-drive system, is not available on the Passat TDI.

High on utility

For about $1500 more than the sedan, the Passat TDI wagon offers much more utility. Behind the rear seat, there is about twice as much cargo room than the sedan's trunk, and with both rear seatbacks folded down, the cargo floor is about 1676 mm (66 inches) long. It features a carpeted cargo floor with vinyl runners to help slide in large items, and carpeted side walls to prevent scratches. There are four chromed tie-down rings at the corners of the luggage area, a chromed floor lip to avoid scratching the cargo when loading, and a sliding privacy cover behind the rear seats. At the rear of the cargo area are two 12 volt powerpoints and a first aid kit.

The 60/40 folding seatbacks are similar to those in other Volkswagen wagons. First, the rear seat cushions are flipped up to a vertical position, the three head restraints are removed, the backrests are folded down flat, and the head restraints are pushed into the holes provided in the top of the raised seat cushions. One disadvantage of this design is that it makes a 'wall' behind the front seats and doesn't allow the right front passenger seatback to fold flat for a longer loading surface, like in Volvos for example.

Cargo that won't fit in the cargo area can be put on the roof. The wagon's long roof has standard roof rails, but you have to buy optional crossmembers that are designed for carrying bikes, boats or other sports and recreational equipment.

Passenger cabin

The passenger cabin is roomy with plenty of headroom for front and rear passengers and generous legroom. The driver's seat has a standard manual height and lumbar adjustment (as does the front passenger's) and the steering wheel tilts and telescopes. Drivers of all sizes can find a suitable driving position in the Passat.

The interior of my test car was nicely finished and materials were of a good quality but its all-black colour scheme was only relieved by a chrome shift gate, chrome door handles, and metal rings around the gauges. I would recommend getting the optional walnut trim to give the interior more warmth. At night, the blue/violet glow of the instrument panel provides a high-tech look, and is easier on the eyes than red backlighting. Useful standard features include a coin slot just to the left of the steering wheel, a sliding centre armrest, automatic up/down front power windows, a grippy, thick-rimmed steering wheel, and seat heaters with five temperature settings.

My test wagon had the optional "Luxury Package" ($2560) that includes a power glass sunroof w/tilt & slide functions, pinch protection, and one-touch opening. It also can be closed with the remote key fob. The Luxury Package also includes larger 16 inch tires and alloy wheels, Homelink garage opener and additional driver's sun visor.

My test vehicle also had the optional "Leather Package" ($1830) which includes good quality leather seats, leather shift knob/handbrake, and a multi-function steering wheel with cruise control and audio buttons.

Standard features

The Passat TDI comes in only one trim level in Canada: mid-range GLS.
Click image to enlarge
Standard features include the 134 horsepower 2.0 litre 4 cylinder turbo-diesel engine, 5-speed automatic Tiptronic transmission, power steering, disc brakes with ABS, traction control, P195/65HR-15 inch tires, halogen projector beam headlights and front fog lights, and battery run-down protection.

Inside, standard features are air conditioning, 6-way driver and front passenger seat adjustment and manual lumbar adjuster, 60-40 folding rear bench seat, AM/FM auto-reverse cassette and single CD player and eight speakers, tachometer, outside temperature display, trip computer, variable intermittent wipers and intermittent rear wiper/washer, power windows with driver and passenger 1-touch down/up, remote power door locks and trunk unlock, manual tilt/telescopic steering wheel, and power heated mirrors.

Safety

Standard safety features are extensive including six airbags: dual front, dual front side, and dual curtain airbags. There also five height adjustable head restraints, rear child door locks, and engine immobilizer. Electronic Stabilization Program is available as a $430 option.

Previous Passats have done well in crash tests. When this bodystyle first came out in 1998, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rated it a "Best Pick" in 40 mph frontal offset crash tests. In a 2005 35 mph frontal crash test, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave it five stars, and models equipped with side airbags received four stars in side impact crash test. In low speed 5 mph bumper crash tests conducted by the IIHS, the Passat also did well.

Reliability

As this model is fairly new, there is little reliability data available. However, Consumer Reports rates previous Passats with the 1.8T 4 cylinder and 2.8 V6 engines (with front-wheel-drive) as offering "Good" reliability, and are both "Recommended".

Verdict

With the best fuel economy of any mid-size wagon on the market, the diesel-powered VW Passat TDI Wagon is both practical and inexpensive to operate. Despite its leisurely highway passing abilities, the Passat TDI's performance is adequate, and it's surprisingly quiet for a diesel car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Did the TDI Passats just go on sale in Canada? We've had them for a year already.

BMWDave

QuoteDid the TDI Passats just go on sale in Canada? We've had them for a year already.
I guess so.  Its a Canadian Review.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteDid the TDI Passats just go on sale in Canada? We've had them for a year already.
If I didn't already know it was a Canadian review, I wouldn't have mentioned Canada.  ;)  

BMWDave

If I didn't already know it was a Canadian review, I wouldn't have mentioned Canada.  ;)
True ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

TBR

Their biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage.  

93JC

No, we've had them since last fall. They're not very popular though. I've only seen two. Then again, Passat isn't all that popular anyway. Jetta and Golf are the only popular VW models up here.

giant_mtb

I wouldn't mind having a TDI at all... :rockon:  

Tom

BMWDave

QuoteAmericans and their fear of diesel :rolleyes:
I'm American, and I have no fear of diesel.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I love diesel... :praise:  Turbochargers...mmmm I love it.  :lol: Smells and sounds sweet too.  :rockon:  

Raghavan

i don't have a fear of diesel. The only reasons i don't want one is because the cars i want don't have a diesel option, and i don't know any place near me that sells diesel, and diesel is more expensive than gasoline here. :(  

Tom

I'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.

Raghavan

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.
and with more diesel cars and drivers, diesel fillign stations and prices would come down. i'd surely get a diesel if it's cheaper than gas and is easy to fill up.

giant_mtb

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.
Yeah...I tried to tell my mom that a diesel car wouldn't be all that much different from a regular-gas car...but she still thinks that they're loud, smelly, and clattery.  But oh well...she's the one missing out on saved gas money!  :P  

And honestly, with higher (and rising) gas prices my parents are seriously considering a more fuel-efficient car...but I'm not sure what they can afford... <_<    

ifcar

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.
Yeah...I tried to tell my mom that a diesel car wouldn't be all that much different from a regular-gas car...but she still thinks that they're loud, smelly, and clattery.  But oh well...she's the one missing out on saved gas money!  :P  

And honestly, with higher (and rising) gas prices my parents are seriously considering a more fuel-efficient car...but I'm not sure what they can afford... <_<
Are they looking for something new or used? What's their price range? How big of a car would they want?

Raghavan

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.

STi? :lol:  

giant_mtb

Are they looking for something new or used? What's their price range? How big of a car would they want?
I honestly have no idea...they've only mentioned the idea.  I'm assuming they'd go used (yet a newer used car) for pretty cheap (probably 12K max) and they'd probably want a car...since they usually get the best mileage.  Then we'd have 2 cars and 2 SUV's...unless we sold the '98 Explorer to help pay for the new(er) car.  

But honestly I have no idea...

giant_mtb

STi? :lol:
I wish!  :angry:

Actually my mom really likes that car...especially in Peral Blue...  :praise:  

850CSi

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage...
...and speeds up its terribly slow acceleration times.

ifcar

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage...
It's not THAT slow.  

ifcar

I honestly have no idea...they've only mentioned the idea.  I'm assuming they'd go used (yet a newer used car) for pretty cheap (probably 12K max) and they'd probably want a car...since they usually get the best mileage.  Then we'd have 2 cars and 2 SUV's...unless we sold the '98 Explorer to help pay for the new(er) car.  

Make sure you put a thread up for suggestions before they do anything.  ;)  

Raghavan

It's not THAT slow.
And the torque is more than enough for low speed acceleration.

giant_mtb

I deffinitely will.

Raghavan

I deffinitely will.
Maybe they should get an Impreza. :D  

giant_mtb

I deffinitely will.
There was one down the road for 14K...it was a 2002 Sedan...complete with a radar detector! woohoo!  :P   But that's a little steep for them...

pnwbeers

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage.
I'd agree with that - with a stick I'd seriously consider a diesel Passat as a mainstreamer.  

With an auto, well, I don't foresee buying anything with an auto anytime soon.

Raghavan

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage.
I'd agree with that - with a stick I'd seriously consider a diesel Passat as a mainstreamer.  

With an auto, well, I don't foresee buying anything with an auto anytime soon.
:praise:  :praise:  

Raghavan

I deffinitely will.
There was one down the road for 14K...it was a 2002 Sedan...complete with a radar detector! woohoo!  :P   But that's a little steep for them...
how much are they willing to spend?