Where can I find...

Started by Rupert, August 26, 2006, 07:50:19 PM

Rupert

I have a cunning plan that needs some research: I want to buy an SUV (because I have plenty of uses for one...), like another Trooper, with a bad engine. Then I wanna take out the gas engine and put in a diesel that's ready for B100 or even straight veggie oil. But I have no idea where to look for a diesel engine... Any ideas?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

That project could get very, very hard very, very quickly.

I'd probably stick with an Isuzu engine, actually, no matter what make of vehicle you get. Isuzu, while a failure on the consumer market in North America, is probably the most plentiful source of medium-duty trucks. The GM  W-series cab-over-engine trucks are really rebadged Isuzu N-series trucks. They come with four-cylinder diesels which is what you'd want (most diesels are four and six-cylinder, but most sixes are probably too big and too heavy for a small-medium sized SUV (the 5.9L Cummins ISB I6 in the Ram for example weighs around 1000 lb)).

Whether they can run on veggie oil or B100 is a whole other question. They might. They probably could actually, because they're not particularly advanced engines (you're looking at power outputs under 100 hp).

If you want something specifically designed for consumer automotive applications your choices are very limited, if not non-existent. You're probably looking at importing something form Europe (an old Ford, GM, VM Motori, Peugeot, or something like those). They're probably better suited for a conversion to the size of vehicle you're looking at.

SargeMonkey

I would like to get a duramax and stuff it in the '78.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Rupert

Hehe, well, lets say I buy a Trooper with a bad engine. That might make it easier to match engines and the like. We'll even say I'm looking at one of the actual diesel Trooper engines to switch in. And we'll say I'm willing to do some minor conversion work to make B100 or veggie oil work.

Mostly, I'm trying to figure out what kind of money I'd be spending and whom to talk to... Websites? There's gotta be a place online that sells these kinds of things.

Danke shon!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Tom

Complete diesel engines from ebay motors: http://motors.search.ebay.com/diesel_Compl...rchiZQQsaprcloZ

Don't know if that helps, but if you complete this conversion you have my utmost respect :praise:

Rupert

Yeah, it's prolly a pipe dream... But it's a good one.

Raza

Yeah, you wouldn't even get shit from me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

There was a Datsun 810 (Maxima) diesel back in the early 80s based on the inline six gasoline engine my car. It would drop right in.

Someday, I'd like to find one of those motors, drop it in a Z, and turbocharge the hell out of it. :) The torque would be awesome.

MX793

I worked with a guy who had this hairbrained scheme to swap the diesel engine from a refridgeration unit like those used on refridgerated box trailers into his Dakota.  This was several years ago when gasoline prices were "sky high" at like $2.20 a gallon.  I don't think he ever went through with it.  Bad idea anyway.  Those diesel refridgeration motors are naturally aspirated and don't make much power or torque.  And God only knows how he was planning to mate it up to his transmission or how he was going to gear it appropriately for the different powerband.  I don't think he thought all that hard about it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Haha.

I think I don't have enough money now. :( But I might in a few years...

AutobahnSHO

Find a US servicemember in Europe- give them money and instructions to buy a small diesel engine. (They come in anything from Semi-trucks to friggin' Fiats that are smaller than a VW Golf, and are a dime a dozen,) they can then drain all the fluids and ship it for free in their "household goods."  :lol:   (This is the cheapest scenario I can think of.)

Sounds like a fun project, if you ever get to actually doing it..   B)

I thought most diesels can use veggie oil with little/no modifications??
Will

SargeMonkey

Go to a wrecking yard and pull an engine and computer from a truck. Maybe the trans too, rebuild, install. Then do burnouts. Get a duramax, I know a few people who swear by them. Powerstrokes suck ass, and cummins are very good, I just don't really like em. Go to banks and get the trwin turbo kit. With a conversion kit and a tank heater you could run on veg oil, or with the heater alone BD100 made from local buissness waste.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Rupert

Haha, can you imagine a Trooper with a Duramax eight? That would be great!

Rupert

But probably almost as costly...

TBR

Probably technically impossible as well.

Rupert

Naw, it'd just take a bit of sawing and welding.

Quite a bit, in fact.

Rupert

Anyone got $1500 I can borrow?

0_0

I have the rest...

ro51092

That WILL get hard, and expensive. I'm sure other technical problems would arise. Anyway, good luck  ;)  

Rupert

As far as I know that engine bolts right into a Trooper and mates with the transmission to boot. Of course, the Blazer is a pretty good truck, too. It seems like about $4000 would almost cover it...

Rupert

("It" being a Trooper engine swap).

And if I sold all the bits I didn't need (like the old Blazer shell, old prolly broken Trooper engine, and any extraneous transmissions, the Volvo), it seems like in the end I might no be so badly off. Damn lack of a big savings account...

SargeMonkey

If a 350 would fit, which it would with new engine and trans mounts then a small duramax or cummins(do they make small?) would work great. Maybe a toyota engine, I know the brits have diesel tacomas/hylux. If I where you I would look for a chevy 2500HD it has an alison and diesel engine. I see totaled ones in the junkyards here all the time. Just would need a new engine comp.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454