Air Intake

Started by giant_mtb, August 27, 2006, 10:46:19 PM

giant_mtb

So...the stock air intake on my Monte Carlo is extremely restrictive...it's basically a 5 inch long by one inch wide opening into the air box.  I want to get a new intake badly and I've been looking at eBay.  K&N or Fram don't seem to carry complete intakes for my vehicle.  

So I've found these really inexpensive air intakes on eBay...are they worth it?  I mean...they're so inexpensive.  Are they bad?  Anyone?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about...

280Z Turbo

An air filter like that for $6? It's probably a piece of crap that doesn't really filter the air.

I know a guy who used panty-hose as an air filter for years. Perhaps you could try that instead. ;)

SargeMonkey

Its ricer shiz, no buy no buy. Get a fram boost intake, they are sold wherever they sell frame filters. Or a K&N but they are spendy.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raza

We had a K&N custom made for the 99 E320.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteIts ricer shiz, no buy no buy. Get a fram boost intake, they are sold wherever they sell frame filters. Or a K&N but they are spendy.
I've looked at both Fram and K&N's websites...they don't have intake systems for my car.

SargeMonkey

Hmm, then... IDK. Google Monte Carlo air intake.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

280Z Turbo

QuoteIts ricer shiz, no buy no buy. Get a fram boost intake, they are sold wherever they sell frame filters. Or a K&N but they are spendy.
I've looked at both Fram and K&N's websites...they don't have intake systems for my car.
There's no "system". :P

It's a pipe with a filter on the end! You can get a pipe anywhere and Autozone sells 3" cone air filters for $25.

giant_mtb

There's no "system". :P

It's a pipe with a filter on the end! You can get a pipe anywhere and Autozone sells 3" cone air filters for $25.
You know what I mean...where every piece is made and designed by the one company.

Yeah I'm thinkin' of taking the cutsom route.  How I'm going to bend pipe, though, I don't know.

Run Away

Buy one of those, but ditch the filter it comes with and buy a K&N.

People who spend over $150 on an intake are stupid, it's a tube with a filter on the end.

giant_mtb

QuoteBuy one of those, but ditch the filter it comes with and buy a K&N.

People who spend over $150 on an intake are stupid, it's a tube with a filter on the end.
That's also a good idea and may be the route I might take.  There's a couple on eBay where they bend the pipe and stuff then sell it with a K&N filter...like 40 bucks plus shipping for it all.  Who knows.

280Z Turbo

QuotePeople who spend over $150 on an intake are stupid, it's a tube with a filter on the end.
Yep, but some people (who aren't so mechanically inclined) like to buy a high-performance "CAI" and install it themselves so that they can feel like they just completed a big project (no offense to you guys that have done that "mod" ;) ).

I may fab one up someday for the Focus because I broke the airbox lid on it, otherwise, I wouldn't even bother.

Rupert

Whoa, whoa... You have a car?

Go with a tube.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

You can probably buy large diameter piping at homedepot or the like and have it bent for free/cheap. Takes just a second to bend pipe...
Will

giant_mtb

QuoteWhoa, whoa... You have a car?

Go with a tube.
Yes, I have a car.  You musta missed my birthday thread.  :P  

giant_mtb

So I took my air box out earlier...and I cut off the tiny little plastic hose that goes from the airbox to behind the headlights where it gets its air from.  It's such a small opening.  I measured it...1 inch wide (at its widest) by 4-3/4 inches long.  Talk about restrictive.  So I cut that off and cut a hole in my airbox about 4-5 inches square with my Dremel.  I think it's safe...it's on the correct side of the filter and it's in the same spot as the old hole, just bigger.  

The difference in both performance and sound is literally noticeable.  The sound is so cool!  WHOOOOSH!  It seems to have more oomph under 3K RMPs than before.  I'm not saying it gave me a buncha horsepower, but it's more responsive, sounds better, runs smoother, and it seems to give it some more mid-range punch.

Should I get one of those "high-performance" OE air filters from K&N?  Are they worth it?

SargeMonkey

They are nice and never need to be replaced. I need to find a snorkel, anyone know a good company too get one from?
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

giant_mtb

QuoteThey are nice and never need to be replaced. I need to find a snorkel, anyone know a good company too get one from?
Safari.

SargeMonkey

Thank you. Now to solve the trucks title thing.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Champ

QuoteSo I took my air box out earlier...and I cut off the tiny little plastic hose that goes from the airbox to behind the headlights where it gets its air from.  It's such a small opening.  I measured it...1 inch wide (at its widest) by 4-3/4 inches long.  Talk about restrictive.  So I cut that off and cut a hole in my airbox about 4-5 inches square with my Dremel.  I think it's safe...it's on the correct side of the filter and it's in the same spot as the old hole, just bigger.  

The difference in both performance and sound is literally noticeable.  The sound is so cool!  WHOOOOSH!  It seems to have more oomph under 3K RMPs than before.  I'm not saying it gave me a buncha horsepower, but it's more responsive, sounds better, runs smoother, and it seems to give it some more mid-range punch.

Should I get one of those "high-performance" OE air filters from K&N?  Are they worth it?
I wouldn't, if I could have the stock filter for my car AND an open air intake I would.  But since the sound is too good I'll stick with the aftermarket cone filter.

giant_mtb

Here's some pictures I just took of what I did...

Here's the original intake tube...

This is where that tube went from the airbox to behind the headlights...

And here's my creation...

Hey!  I have a COLD air intake!  The refrigerant resevoir (or something) is right under my airbox!  COOL!  I should use the a/c all the time so that refrigerant's flowing to keep my intake air cool!  OH YEAH!

:P  

93JC

Actually, by the looks of it that may very well be your A/C system's condenser, which, if working properly, will be hot.

giant_mtb

QuoteActually, by the looks of it that may very well be your A/C system's condenser, which, if working properly, will be hot.
Dangit.  :banghead:  It was cool when I touched it earlier but you're probably right...I don't know jack about that stuff.

93JC

Did you touch it when it was off?

giant_mtb

QuoteDid you touch it when it was off?
Yeah...it hasn't been run today so it's been off all night which is probably why it was cool.

SVT_Power

Now you'll have a hot air intake. Nicely done :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: M_power on September 01, 2006, 10:43:15 AM
Now you'll have a hot air intake. Nicely done :lol:

:angry:   :P

Fire It Up

My fam's accord has the most humongous air intake/silencer ever. It weighs 11 pounds, and consists of multiple bending and changing diameter tubes along with a few boxes. Gains are supposed to be pretty good from removing it, but pops wont let me. :P

Chris, where is your creation sucking air from?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SargeMonkey

Our trucks is a filter sitting on the carb, the jeeps is pretty good, though it has a big hole in the bottem of the air box so it can suck in water.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

giant_mtb

Quote from: Fire It Up on September 01, 2006, 12:13:13 PM
My fam's accord has the most humongous air intake/silencer ever. It weighs 11 pounds, and consists of multiple bending and changing diameter tubes along with a few boxes. Gains are supposed to be pretty good from removing it, but pops wont let me. :P

Chris, where is your creation sucking air from?

Basically it's sucking air from behind the radiator and fan...not exactly the coolest place but it's still getting more air...which is what I initially wanted...none of this "cold air intake" crap.

280Z Turbo

I don't really understand how cooler air is going to yield any performance gains on a naturally aspirated motor.