Toyota MR-2

Started by Raza , May 28, 2005, 10:11:16 AM

Raghavan

QuoteI think if Toyota had put GTS cams in the MR-2, it would prove to be a problem if they wanted to add some other sportscar to their lineup.
but they didn't add any new sports car to their lineup...
Suppose they want to add a Supra.
but they didn't, so they might as well could have just made the MR-2 sporiter.

850CSi

The MR-2 is awesome. I can't imagine what it would be like to have my 1.8T in that thing...

Raghavan

QuoteThe MR-2 is awesome. I can't imagine what it would be like to have my 1.8T in that thing...
why have your 1.8T when Toyota's own 1.8 GT-S version has more power and is lighter?

TBR

QuoteI think if Toyota had put GTS cams in the MR-2, it would prove to be a problem if they wanted to add some other sportscar to their lineup.
I couldn't remember the difference between the GT and GT-S engines for my life, but now I know.  

850CSi

QuoteThe MR-2 is awesome. I can't imagine what it would be like to have my 1.8T in that thing...
why have your 1.8T when Toyota's own 1.8 GT-S version has more power and is lighter?
The GT-S's engine has only 130 lb/ft. torque fully available way up at 6,000 RPM. My 1999 1.8T has its max 155 lb/ft. available at only 1750 RPM.

When someone who knows what he's doing with the clutch is driving, the 1.8T is decievingly fast because of how much low-end torque there is. It's enough to make the 3200 lb. AWD A4 feel very quick at low speeds (And run to 60 in under 8), and I can't imagine what it would be like in the mid-engine RWD 2200 lb. MR-2.

Speed_Racer

MR2s are really great cars. Very impractical, but they are the true sportscar. Light weight, tight handling, and very little electronic crap getting in the way.

I love my MK1, it's exactly what I need right now. But, I can see someone who is stuck in traffic and with a family might find the MK3 MR2 a bit too impractical.

Raghavan

QuoteMR2s are really great cars. Very impractical, but they are the true sportscar. Light weight, tight handling, and very little electronic crap getting in the way.

I love my MK1, it's exactly what I need right now. But, I can see someone who is stuck in traffic and with a family might find the MK3 MR2 a bit too impractical.
MKI's are the best, imo. :praise:  :praise:  

Raza

I like the second generation models, but my favorite has to be the Spyder.  Needs more power, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

It'll be back. Toyota seems to enjoy killing it off then resurrecting it after a few years.

It can't handle too much excitement in it's stable. That's why they build more Camrys and Corollas- to counter balance the fun in the MR2 and Celica. (haha)

Hopefully, it will come back with more power, yet the same balanced sports car feel that defines an MR2.

BMWDave

QuoteMR2s are really great cars. Very impractical, but they are the true sportscar. Light weight, tight handling, and very little electronic crap getting in the way.

How fast does the MK1 get to sixty?  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

quite long. MR-2's arent' about acceleration. they're about handling.

Laconian

Seriously guys, there would be so much less clutter if we would just before we post!!

8.4s 0-60 is what I found for the Mk1. I drove one a few weeks ago, and even though the T-top leaked water all over me (will NOT buy that one), I had a blast jetting around the hilly backroads just a mile away from me. :) It took me a while to get used to the unassisted steering.

Raza, you're dead right on this one. The Mk3 MR2 gets way too little love for what it is. What a sweet car!!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

That 0-60 times is for the Naturally Aspirated MR2. The Supercharged MK1 can do it in the 7.8 sec. range.

http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/articles/MotorTrend-1288.htm

Raghavan

Seriously guys, there would be so much less clutter if we would just before we post!!
if we just what before we post?

Laconian

if we just what before we post?
Google, ie. if you have a question about a cold hard fact like curb weight or a HP figure that can be answered definitively within the first ten results of a Google query, query it yourself instead of asking somebody to do it for you.

Raza

8.4s 0-60 is what I found for the Mk1. I drove one a few weeks ago, and even though the T-top leaked water all over me (will NOT buy that one), I had a blast jetting around the hilly backroads just a mile away from me. :) It took me a while to get used to the unassisted steering.

Raza, you're dead right on this one. The Mk3 MR2 gets way too little love for what it is. What a sweet car!!
Yeah seriously.  The MR2 is a great car and it gets no love.  I tell ya, it gets no respect ~RD

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

evo magazine considers it one of the top handling cars on the market today, and they are guys that drive Koenigseggs and Elises every freakin' issue. That is really saying something!

Raza

Quoteevo magazine considers it one of the top handling cars on the market today, and they are guys that drive Koenigseggs and Elises every freakin' issue. That is really saying something!
That's what I'm saying.  If someone slapped a supercharger in this thing, or dropped a Camry V6 in there, it would be one hell of a sleeper.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Quoteevo magazine considers it one of the top handling cars on the market today, and they are guys that drive Koenigseggs and Elises every freakin' issue. That is really saying something!
That's what I'm saying.  If someone slapped a supercharger in this thing, or dropped a Camry V6 in there, it would be one hell of a sleeper.
You dont need one. With after market cams, modified intake and exhaust, you can definetely get above 200HP. And then theres the ECU...

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

You dont need one. With after market cams, modified intake and exhaust, you can definetely get above 200HP. And then theres the ECU...
Or, even better, throw an Evo engine in there!  It's transverse.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

How bout a 3SGTE (or whatever is in those pike peak celicas)

Raghavan

Raza

They're awesome cars.  I might pick one up.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteThey're awesome cars.  I might pick one up.
i thought you wanted a 944?

Fire It Up

QuoteThey're awesome cars.  I might pick one up.
he wants everything.

Raza

QuoteThey're awesome cars.  I might pick one up.
he wants everything.
Desires cost nothing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i