Toyota MR-2

Started by Raza , May 28, 2005, 10:11:16 AM

Raza

Hey fellows--I just got a chance to drive an MR-2 Spyder on a private track.  And my friends, I must tell you:  Power be damned, this is the most fun car for twenty five thousand dollars.  It's not the power of the Mustang, nor the practicality of the WRX, but neither of those cars hold true the values of driving that I hold so dear to my heart.  Details are coming soon.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

is there a way to move the pedals to the side? when i sat in one, when i put my foot on the clutch, my thigh kept hitting the steering wheel, and it's a bit cramped...

Raza

Quoteis there a way to move the pedals to the side? when i sat in one, when i put my foot on the clutch, my thigh kept hitting the steering wheel, and it's a bit cramped...
The steering wheel tilts--you could have moved it higher, possibly.  But, I did notice that the wheel is a tad low.  But, it's definitely roomier than the Miata.  More shoulder and more hip room.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

I wouldn't mind driving one around a twisty track at all...and it would probably feel fast to me anyways because I've never experienced a truly fast car...lol  :P  :lol:  

Raghavan

Quoteis there a way to move the pedals to the side? when i sat in one, when i put my foot on the clutch, my thigh kept hitting the steering wheel, and it's a bit cramped...
The steering wheel tilts--you could have moved it higher, possibly.  But, I did notice that the wheel is a tad low.  But, it's definitely roomier than the Miata.  More shoulder and more hip room.
there also doesn't seem to be much space for your feet in the footwell. pedals are too close to each other.

Run Away

Close together pedals are a good thing.
Sometime I might buy some aftermarket pedals that are larger than stock so that there isn't such a large gap between the pedals.

giant_mtb

there also doesn't seem to be much space for your feet in the footwell. pedals are too close to each other.
if the pedals are closer it can be easier to get between the gas and brake and clutch so you can go faster overall because your wasting less time moving your feet to the right pedal...

Raza

I'm a size 13 shoe, and I had no complaints.  I like how well close the pedals are--better for heel-toe.  Overall, I found the cabin fairly roomy for what it is.  I just sat in a Mazda MX-5 again today, and banged my hip when I closed the door.  The Miata's cabin is much tighter.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

I'm a size 13 shoe, and I had no complaints.  I like how well close the pedals are--better for heel-toe.  Overall, I found the cabin fairly roomy for what it is.  I just sat in a Mazda MX-5 again today, and banged my hip when I closed the door.  The Miata's cabin is much tighter.
it is quite roomier than the Miata, but i found that i liked the position of the pedals better in the miata.

Raza

QuoteI wouldn't mind driving one around a twisty track at all...and it would probably feel fast to me anyways because I've never experienced a truly fast car...lol  :P  :lol:
It is pretty fast--0-60 occurs in less than 7 seconds in a 5 speed manual, over a second faster than a Mazda Miata and on par with the Mazdaspeed MX-5.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteI wouldn't mind driving one around a twisty track at all...and it would probably feel fast to me anyways because I've never experienced a truly fast car...lol  :P  :lol:
It is pretty fast--0-60 occurs in less than 7 seconds in a 5 speed manual, over a second faster than a Mazda Miata and on par with the Mazdaspeed MX-5.
That fast with only 138 hp??? how much does this weigh?

Raza

QuoteI wouldn't mind driving one around a twisty track at all...and it would probably feel fast to me anyways because I've never experienced a truly fast car...lol  :P  :lol:
Around 2100 pounds  Not much heavier than the Elise, and lighter by 200 pounds than a Miata.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Around 2100 pounds  Not much heavier than the Elise, and lighter by 200 pounds than a Miata.
i don't think that 200lbs less will make a car go a second faster to 60, and the miata has more hp.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

i like this one better:

Raza

i don't think that 200lbs less will make a car go a second faster to 60, and the miata has more hp.
Also, don't forget that you've got more weight on the back--a 911 is as fast to 60 as a Corvette, which has much more power.  The MR2 will get much better traction off the line.  And VVT helps, I guess.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Also, don't forget that you've got more weight on the back--a 911 is as fast to 60 as a Corvette, which has much more power.  The MR2 will get much better traction off the line.  And VVT helps, I guess.
and gearing probably is a factor too.
The MK-1 is the coolest of all time. :praise:  

TBR

I have always sort of liked the MR-2 Spyder , but I never understood why they didn't put the 180hp 1.8l I4 from the Celica GT-S (and the Lotus Elise) in it. That would've really made it a rocket.  

Raghavan

QuoteI have always sort of liked the MR-2 Spyder , but I never understood why they didn't put the 180hp 1.8l I4 from the Celica GT-S (and the Lotus Elise) in it. That would've really made it a rocket.
they probably wanted handling over straight-line power.

TBR

QuoteI have always sort of liked the MR-2 Spyder , but I never understood why they didn't put the 180hp 1.8l I4 from the Celica GT-S (and the Lotus Elise) in it. That would've really made it a rocket.
More power doesn't reduce a cars handling ability as long as more weight isn't added (and that probably wouldn't happen in this case).  

Raghavan

More power doesn't reduce a cars handling ability as long as more weight isn't added (and that probably wouldn't happen in this case).
they're both 1.8l engines. dunno if they're the same, but they probably are. 180 hp in an MR-2 would make it run to 60 in probably the low 5's! :o  :praise:  :rockon:  

Raza

I said the same thing.  I'm writing a full article about this car (I had it on a private track, which is quite an experience) and I address the neglect issue.  This could have benefitted from the 190/180HP I4 and 6 speed manual pairing.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

I wonder...can the TRD supercharger be applied to this 1.8L I4?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteI wonder...can the TRD supercharger be applied to this 1.8L I4?
I don't know, but I do know that there are supercharger kits out there for the 1.8l and that it is fairly easy pump up the GT 1.8l up to full strength GT-S power.  

TBR

Well, I've been doing a little research and have discovered that not only are MR-2 Spyders fairly readily available considering only a couple thousand were made per year but they are also a pretty good value considering their limited production (in the $17000 range for a '01).  

Raghavan

QuoteWell, I've been doing a little research and have discovered that not only are MR-2 Spyders fairly readily available considering only a couple thousand were made per year but they are also a pretty good value considering their limited production (in the $17000 range for a '01).
wow. 7k depriaciation for a 4yr old car is good. there goes my hopes of getting one.

TBR

QuoteWell, I've been doing a little research and have discovered that not only are MR-2 Spyders fairly readily available considering only a couple thousand were made per year but they are also a pretty good value considering their limited production (in the $17000 range for a '01).
wow. 7k depriaciation for a 4yr old car is good. there goes my hopes of getting one.
Considering how limited production was I am actually surprised that they aren't more expensive.  

Raghavan

Considering how limited production was I am actually surprised that they aren't more expensive.
i don't think they were wanted much anyways. that's why toyota is axeing them.

Raza

The MR2's been under the gun since it came out.  It should last another year or so.  Then Toyota will make nothing but Vanillamobiles.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

The MR2's been under the gun since it came out.  It should last another year or so.  Then Toyota will make nothing but Vanillamobiles.
their sportiest vehicle will be the tacoma x-runner. :rolleyes: